Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Is this the next stage or somethin
Bentley6
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:04 AM

Hello All,  

It has been a while since I have been on this site, I guess it’s too painful for me since my mom was put in memory care in August. I feel like I gave up on her, but deep down I know I could not care for her any longer as she lost the ability to walk.  Yes, I have more free time and can sleep better, but I miss mom terribly.  My mom lived with my husband and I for 20 years, we did everything together.  I go to the facility almost everyday, my mom needs to see me.  She is always looking for me or calling out my name, it’s so sad.  

The reason I am writing here today is my mom has been experiencing all day paranoia, anxiety and agitation.  She is sometimes screaming for help at night and wanting to call the police.  The facility has added Risperdol .25 during day and .50 at bedtime and she has been on Trazadone, but still seems extremely paranoid.  It’s hard to see her in so much distress.  When I visit her with my little dog who she loves, she thinks everyone wants to steal him and yells at them.  I know everyone is different and reacts to meds differently, but any meds suggestions that have helped your loved one would be appreciated.  It’s not pleasant to visit with her and I am very concerned. I also mentioned UTI, but it’s hard to get the facility to test her as she does not have any symptoms of UTI.

I like the facility she is in, its better than most, but I wonder how experienced the aides are with dementia as they never just comfort and talk to mom like they should be doing to calm her.

Thank you for reading, any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

TessC
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:02 AM

You should insist on testing. They need to know that the elderly can have silent UTI's. Here's some info-there are a lot of info about this online.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/silent-urinary-infections-serious-consequences

sixteenpaws
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:06 PM

I agree, get a test for a UTI. And be vigilant about any side effects with those medications. My dad was on those at one time and Risperidone made him pace all night and the trazodone sedated him so much he ended up severely dehydrated because he was not awake enough to eat. Not every med works for every one. I just learned that there is a DNA test you can have doctors perform which evaluates which mood-altering meds might work better with your genetics. It costs about $400 and I doubt that insurance pays, but it might be worth the trial and error.

× Close Menu