Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Phone for Dad
Lori Halbert
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:00 AM

My boyfriend's father is 67 years old and has Alzheimer's.  He lives at home with help from a caregiver that is there a few hours each day.  We have run into a problem with him calling insurance companies (because they advertise on TV).  Twice he has switched his health insurance coverage and it has taken 40+ hours to get it fixed (numerous calls to insurance company, medicare & others).  He currently has a flip phone that he has had for years.  Does anyone know of a phone that we could get him that would only allow him to call certain numbers?  

Thank you,

Lori

Sunnymansfield
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:06 AM

Look into the old fashion land line.  He can't make long distance calls on them.  Although, check about 800 numbers.
Sunnymansfield
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:08 AM

Check the what plans they offer to get one WITHOUT long distance capability.
Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:38 AM

Welcome to our world, Lori. I'm so glad you found our site.Try calling your carrier's customer service and explain the problem. Do tell them that if there is nosolution, the service must be terminated,
citydock2000
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:28 AM

Most of these companies have 800 numbers so that won't work. 

I would look into phones/service with child controls, which I believe allows you to limit the numbers called (and maybe received).   

Keep in mind that dad is ripe for a scam or being taken advantage of at this point if he is so easily persuaded that something is a good idea that is not a good idea. Make sure you've got insight online into his cash accounts. 

burr
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:57 PM

like citydock2000 said watch there money even on the phone but watch his mail. My mom was getting mail but until i realized she had AD she was sending out money for 2 years and thousands of dollars went out. She did the same with her phone she would call and cancel everything. look into child lock on the phone call your carrier to get it locked. set ti up for incoming calls only. If you are the POA get control of the check books and credit cards and give a small allowance each week if he needs money good luck
Lori Halbert
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2018 11:07 AM

Thank you for your reply.  You had a great suggestion so I called AT&T.  Unfortunately AT&T parental controls are only good for smart phones, not flip phones.  Thanks again & best of luck to you.

× Close Menu