Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Anxiety and crying
dmdd
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 10:58 AM

Hi everyone - my 57 yo husband was diagnosed with EOA in 2016.  He goes to a memory care center three times a week for about 5 hours each time.  I work full-time.  When I picked him up from the memory care yesterday, he told me he was crying earlier and feeling anxious.  We got home about 4:15 and he went to lie down and slept until 8:30 this morning.  He woke up again all anxious and crying.  He keeps asking why he’s feeling this way.  We tried meditating and that seemed to help.  Any ideas?
markus8174
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 1:32 PM

If this continues you need to have him evaluated by at least your primary care doc. A sudden change in affect can stem from many conditions that are easily treatable. It may just be a progression of his illness which is understandable. I'm often anxious and crying and it is my DW with the Alzheimer's. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated if other causes are ruled out. Relieving emotional pain is just as important as relieving physical pain. Both are suffering that our loved ones are depending on us as care providers to address.
TessC
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 6:05 PM

Check out this condition that is present in some PWD: https://www.pbainfo.org/about-pba
VRAAB
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:17 PM

dmdd, my DH, age 60 was also diagnosed in 2016 with EOAD, now stage 6. This past August he started having crying spells. He would talk about being anxious and what was happening to him.  He was self aware of his decline.  His anti-depression medicine was increased and an anti-anxiety med was added which helped with the crying spells.  He still occasionally will get them but not as much as he did.
feudman
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:44 AM

TessC wrote:
Check out this condition that is present in some PWD: https://www.pbainfo.org/about-pba
As you describe it, this isn't PBA. The simple test is whether or not the crying (or laughing) is "inappropriate"...in other words, without cause. But he is able to communicate the cause as anxiety. Its the cause of the anxiety that is unknown.
Neudexta, the med for treating PBA, is overprescribed for ANY crying; its also expensive. I would continue to try meditation, relaxation music therapy, yoga, and anti-anxiety meds if the others don't work.

× Close Menu