Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Home Instead Commercials
JustLikeMom
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 4:59 PM

Do these commercials infuriate anyone else here?   Every one asserts that remaining at home is the best choice for the elderly/ill.  The script includes plenty of emotionally manipulative  and guilt-inducing statements directed at the spouses or adult children caregivers who may have to consider facility care instead.   Screw that company.
SelEtPoivre
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 5:16 PM

I almost threw something at the TV the first time I saw one, then came here to trash them

TV Grandma is compliant, able, mobile, continent and fully agreeable. We need a contra-commercial showing IRL Dementia Grandma who is angry, falling, incontinent, unwilling to move, “IM PERFECTLY FINE LEAVE ME ALONE” setting fire to the kitchen, complete with Combative Siblings, Disinterested Spouse and MoneyHungry Children

LOL sounds like Mattel needs to market an “Alzheimer’s Barbie” (Eldercare Attorney Ken and accessories sold separately)

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 5:45 PM

So if you made a list of placements for your loved one would you not put home at the top?

It may get scratched off almost immediately but I think it should start as number one.

Best becomes relevant. Sometimes the third or forth placement on the list becomes best.

I used Home Instead 3 separate times. Twice for hospital sitting and once for additional help here at home. They are owned individually so will vary but the care here was top notch.

I do share with the above comments about the wonderfully darling PWD in the photos. I wish things were more realistic.

Jane Smith
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 5:55 PM

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing these commercials but will pay attention if I do.

jfkoc wrote:

So if you made a list of placements for your loved one would you not put home at the top?

It may get scratched off almost immediately but I think it should start as number one.

We all have different experiences. 

In the case of my "loved one," no, home was never on the list of possible placements, for a variety of reasons.  In fact, my only regret about placing my "loved one" is that it did not happen sooner.

JustLikeMom
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 6:01 PM

TV Grandma is compliant, able, mobile, continent and fully agreeable. We need a contra-commercial showing IRL Dementia Grandma who is angry, falling, incontinent, unwilling to move, “IM PERFECTLY FINE LEAVE ME ALONE” setting fire to the kitchen, complete with Combative Siblings, Disinterested Spouse and MoneyHungry Children

PLEASE send this comment to Home Instead!!  It's spot on! 

Momma S
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 6:42 PM

WOW. I just unloaded on my DH about these unrealistic commercials.  

I had daily (7 days a week) home care (not Home Instead, but a physician-recommended local service) for my dad for six months which enabled me to work during the day.  I spent the other 16 hours with him.  He and I battled daily...he wanted me to fire them...they didn't do anything (not true), they didn't know how to cook (not as good as my deceased momma or me), they just wanted his money....blah, blah, blah.  I nearly sold my home and moved my entire family into his home (would have been a huge mistake). Started having problems with caregivers showing up...had to throw in the towel and move him to memory care or lose everything that I've worked for...

I think the scenarios in commercials are, for the most part, pipe dreams that most cannot afford.

gubblebumm
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 10:03 PM

And TV GRandma's home is pristine, needs no repairs or anything...lets add more guilt to the pile shall we?  I just started therapy today, and my therapist says the unwarranted guilt is what we need to really work on
harshedbuzz
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 1:59 AM

I weighed in on this when Sel brought it up last time.

I'd like them to come back later when granny is sundowning and has smeared that pristine white kitchen with the contents of her Depends while swearing at all those undraped windows. 

I used the local franchise on the recommendation of a friend when mom had knee replacement and dad was stage 6. One of the caregivers was lovely once you got past her weed-centric Facebook page and the other stole my mother's jewelry. My friend has since soured because the terrific caregiver she had bailed as her mom became moved toward stage 6. The woman told my friend that her mom "just wasn't fun anymore".
vaeagen
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 1:36 PM

All ads and even videos dealing with caregiving annoy me!! They pretty much all show an idealized situation. Yeah right! Get real!! Not one of them shows an elder person in bed at 2 am shaking the side rails screaming how they want to go home, and not sleeping for hours on end. Or how they ask the same....question....OVER and OVER for hours. Or how upset they are about being cold, hungery, <fill blank here> which is not true but some delusion they are having that can't be fixed.

Yup, my poor dfil (86 yo) is at home (with a live in aid) with my PWD dmil (84 yo) who thinks it is always cold (yes she has been check for all the possible physical reasons for this!) the house is kept at 80 degrees or more year round and she is still COLD! But wait she complains and yells about sweating!! Ahhhh yeah, of course you do sweat, it is over 8o degrees in the house and you are covered with multiple blankets. But don't try to take some away as SHE IS COLD!!!

Yeah, nice sweet little grandma who forgets who you are would be a nice change. I hate all these representations of PWD. They make taking care of them look soooooo simple.

Valerie

JJ401
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 6:47 PM

The most maddening one, to me, is the one where one of the children says "Dad made us promise we'd keep Mom at home.

I want to scream: Way to go Dad. Make them promise something that may be unrealistic so not only do they get the guilt of placing mom, they get the guilt of breaking their promise to their dead dad. Double guilt. Great thing to gift your kids, Dad.

JustLikeMom
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:05 PM

I want to scream: Way to go Dad. Make them promise something that may be unrealistic so not only do they get the guilt of placing mom, they get the guilt of breaking their promise to their dead dad. Double guilt. Great thing to gift your kids, Dad.

Yup, that was a jerk move there, Dad. 

dashwood60
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:51 PM

There's one ad where a kindly old gent with a cane, just wants to go get his mail and the caregiver walks with him because the stairs are scary. He has a bunch of mail that looks important and everyone is happy as they walk back up the flower lined sidewalk to his adorable cottage.
The mail routine for my mom consists of her going to the mail box multiple times (in clothes she's worn several days) looking at the same pieces of mail over and over, asking about a piece of mail over and over, sometimes cutting junk mail into strips, sometimes hiding mail in her dresser, sometimes tossing it at me with a "I don't know what this is, maybe you do."
So yeah, false advertising.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:19 PM

Home Instead Senior Care is a multinational network of franchises specializing in non-medical in-home care for the elderly, in support of aging in place.

There is no reason to think that all of the people in the commercials are  PWD,

NCSylvia
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:56 AM

I personally have been very happy with the care my mom has gotten from my local Home Instead franchise, but I do agree that the sanitized depiction of PWD that is often presented in commercials makes me want to scream, as it completely ignores both their reality as patients and ours as caregivers.
feudman
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:53 AM

jfkoc wrote:

There is no reason to think that all of the people in the commercials are  PWD,

Sure...but in law firm ads, they must disclose the actors aren't actual attorneys.
  Folks, commercials are made to sell product...in this case, home caregivers. Realistic depictions of late stage AD patients would be appropriate in commercials for LTC facilities, but not if the goal is to convince you that keeping your LO at home is the best option for a wise, responsible family member. For that, the well-coiffed, sweetly compliant, pre-incontinent, only slightly addled "mom" is made-to-order. And the "we promised" is a low blow attempt to lay guilt onto any of us who "didn't reach the right conclusion."

Rescue mom
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:02 PM

The ads are selling a service. No different than any ad. They want you to remember their name, and hopefully buy their service.

They don’t even care that you remember many details—which, like all ads, will present the product in the best light possible, to the most people, without saying words that are flat-out lies.

Sharon Lynn
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 8:15 AM

Every single time I hear that line I want to scream!  How dare they add that guilt?  It’s hard enough dealing with this horrible disease and then to hear some vapid woman spewing that nonsense just simply adds insult to injury.  Walk a mile in our shoes.

× Close Menu