Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.

Site Maintenance Completed.  Click here for details.

RSS Feed Print
Bible Verse To Lift You Up 01/08/2019 - My Treasure
chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:50 AM

Matthew 6 : 21 ( NIV )

" For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. "

When Barbara and I married, some 36 + years ago, we made certain vows to one another. One of those vows I made was to put her welfare above my own. In my mind, that was saying that she was my treasure. Over the years, I think that between work, and just the day to day complexities of living, I lost sight of her as my treasure.

Then came her back problems, and her idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura , and her small brain strokes. And, her dementia. At that time, I had been working for her brother. When he laid me off, I thought it was a disaster, but because of Barbara's many problems, it was a blessing for me to be available to run her back and forth to her doctor, or to the lab, or to the hospital.

It wasn't long before I rediscovered my treasure, and as a consequence, I found my heart too. Prior to all her troubles, I hadn't even realized my heart was missing.

Am I the only one who has had an experience like this ? I want to ask God how He could have let all this happen, but instead, I have to thank Him for helping me to find my heart, and my treasure, again.

It's an amazing thing to come face to face with a body and a mind that is falling apart in front of you, only to find your own treasure that you hadn't even realized was missing.

I think I'm a better man than I was 36 years ago. I know that I'm a better man than I was 10 years ago, when I became unemployed.

Have you lost your treasure ? Misplaced your heart ? For myself, I found a room full of treasures, and with the help of my Barbara, my God, and my Jesus, I keep on discovering more.

And I keep on finding more of my heart.

Blessings,

Chris

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 6:28 PM

We blow and go through the days...taking them for granted. Then our lives came to a crossroads we had not expected.

I understand what you are expressing. The bond that I had with my husband grew deeper and deeper because of illness. Only the important things remained.

RanchersWife
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 8:47 PM

Caring for my DMIL has brought me closer to my husband.

× Close Menu