Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.

Site Maintenance Completed.  Click here for details.

RSS Feed Print
Tax Fun: care costs
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:48 PM
Joined: 2/7/2012
Posts: 477

While my Mom resides in a care facility, I do travel to see her about every month to take her to the dentist, physician, work in her yard, and prepare her house for sale.  She reimburses me for my travel costs.  
It seems to me that she should get to claim some of those expenses against her income on her tax returns.  Does anyone here know if that's allowed?   

caregiving daughter
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 8:31 PM
Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 2031

Qualifying as I'm not a tax accountant: I would say no on travel to care for a yard or place a house for sale. It may be worth noting if your labor is to install a capital improvement for the home but a potential capital gain may be a nonissue. Travel sometimes is part of deduction for medical care; however, hopefully others can indicate if it's deductible if she's paying a family member.
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:59 PM
Joined: 4/1/2014
Posts: 4749

I am interested in the answers to this post as well.

I asked DH who worked as a tax preparer and still does taxes for family (so he keeps up with the tax regs) about your question and he said no-not to his knowledge. He said she saw nothing on the forms he's worked with that has a line for expenses paid for someone to maintain the yard, house or for transportation for a senior living in a facility. In fact, if there was some form he doesn't know about that allows for such a thing, in the eyes of the IRS, they may want to know if you are paying taxes that may be owed for this extra "income" you are getting.

× Close Menu