Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Introducing myself(5)
Susie the Daughter
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:38 PM

Hello, My name is Susie, and I have been caring for my Mom, with dementia for the past year and a half.  

I had to move in with Mom and Dad back in May 2017, as dad was diagnosed with Muscle Invasive Urethelial Bladder Cancer, and within a couple months, Mom started showing signs of short term memory loss.  Sad to say we lost dad in September of 2017, and Mom has declined quite a bit since then.  In Jan. 2018 she met enough criteria to be placed on Hospice.  

I am married, but unable to live with my husband, who also has his 94 year old WW2 veteran father living there with him as well.  

Its been quite a hardship on us both, thankfully though we only live 8 mins apart, and are able to have some respite time together each week.  My hubby still has to work full time, but I'm unable to due to the situation here with mom.

I have many questions and concerns which I hope to address soon, and I'm very thankful that I have found this message board to find others that are in this same situation, that may help me, or that I may be able to help others as well.

Thank you for being here, and I'll keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers as well.  

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:19 AM

Welcome,  glad you found us.
Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:13 PM

Hello Susie The Daughter, and a very warm welcome.   We are looking forward to getting to know you.   This is a wonderful, soft place to land.   We are all here in support of one another and that now includes you too!

There is a lot of good experiential input from Members and much kindness and understanding.  In fact, this was the place, that when I was new to all of the dementia dynamics, that helped me keep my head above water during the most difficult times.

Do let us know how you are and how things are going, we truly do care.

J.

TessC
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:03 PM

Sorry for the loss of your father. We are here to help so please ask any questions you might have.

Sounds like you and your husband have your hands full, but I know you are doing this out of love and the time will come soon enough when you can live under one roof again. We know of other members who must live far away from their significant others, so as is usually the case, although it doesn't make it better, others can have it worse Good luck and take care!~

× Close Menu