RSS Feed Print
What would you expect to pay a 24 hour aid?
lurky
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 12:05 PM

Hi

After a fall, my mother was diagnosed with dementia in the hospital. she is back home with my dad (both in their upper 80s) and 24 hour aids. He is paying out of pocket now. But after 2 months we can start using her LT insurance which will provide about $7k per month. This only covers about half the cost of the aids, at least with the Agency we are currently using.

Is $16K per month for 24hr standard, I'm certain a large percent of that goes to the agency.   Perhaps an independent Aid would charge less? Is there a website to find such individuals? As long as they are licensed the LT insurance co. should be ok with it correct?

We live in SW Connecticut.

The smart move here would be for both of them to to into AL, and use both of their LT insurance policies, but they are resistant.

D in law
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 12:59 PM

$16K per mo is about double what a monthly facility costs here (PA).   What will they do if they out live this money?  They will have to move at that point anyway, so I totally agree that is the smarter move.  It is hard to place both parents though, as they need different levels of care, however, I'm sure in SW Conn. these needs can be met.

Using an agency is better in my opinion than an individual, or individuals, since you need multiple people, the agency is employing them, otherwise it's your parents and they will have to treat the aids as they would an employee-1099s, possibly purchasing a liability policy to protect them from law suits, and if multiple aids, they may be required to pay workers compensation as well.

citydock2000
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 1:31 PM

Managing 24 hour aides is largely why we placed my mom's boyfriend in AL - managing a staff of 4 - 6 people, having to train each of them and get them used to the house, what if one doesn't show up and there's no replacement?  Its likely you'll have problems or concerns with at least one of them.  You are an employer with all the obligations of an employer, even when you use an agency (don't get me started on hiring people privately, now you're a payroll manager, a scheduler, a trainer, a HR rep...) 

If you think you're heading toward placement - I would place sooner rather than later.  If they are resistant... well, if your parents are dependent on others for assistance, then they don't get to call all the shots, if you will play a role. 

What is the nature of the resistance? 

Rescue mom
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 1:38 PM

I ditto all that citydock said. Managing 3-4 people a day is like a job in itself. One will always always have a problem. Plus the expense.

They may be resistant to placement, that’s not unusual. But it often just has to be done, and sooner is better than later.

caregiving daughter
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 1:59 PM

When I researched, agencies would not do a 24 hour aide. You would need one for days, one for nights, and one for weekends which gets to the managing a group that others have referred to. Independent would be less costly but that overhead you would be paying for with an agency goes to background checking, training, maintaining a pool of subs, insurance, and other. I have heard from multiple people that they have found wonderful independent caregivers but have heard many stories of significant concerns.
MN Chickadee
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 2:31 PM

Here is a link to another thread that might be helpful regarding having a live-in caregiver. It's an interesting route to go.

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147545574

I agree with others, piecing care together with 2 or 3 shifts adds a layer of complexity that may be very difficult if you or another family member aren't covering shifts and physically there often to make sure everything is on the up and up. But to answer your question: I live in a city of a bit more than 100,000 people in the midwest. Agencies run $22-28/hour and hiring an individual from Care.com or the like runs $15-20. 

pidgeon92
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 2:37 PM

I was shocked when I calculated the price for the 24/7 caregiver. I was paying $25/hr M-F and $26/hr on weekends. About $17,000 per month. Plus all of the other living expenses. My dad had a good nest egg, but that would have had him destitute in 5 years. When I moved him into memory care at $8,400 per month, I thought that was a bargain.
TessC
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 3:14 PM

A private HHA or CNA hire would be cheaper. I've had luck with Care.com. I paid a "sitter" 250 a day. Someone who provides more hands on care might get 300 or more a day in my area. An agency would probably asks for more. Good luck!
Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 8:40 PM

I am currently a resident in an Assisted Living Facility with on on-site memory Unit. We have many couples residing here.  It isn't terribly more expensive for two than one, mainly meal charges, unless one or both require extra services. In some cases both require help and in others one helps with caregiving for the other.  It seems to work well.

× Close Menu