Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
New Behaviors - Next Phase??
AlynnMac
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:41 AM

Hello:

Dad’s progression has seemed to be plateaued for awhile now....  however.... 2 weeks ago he fell in the kitchen. He hurt his back and bumped his head. (We heard him fall, but did not see it happen).  We got him up and checked him over.  Nothing seemed broken or bruised, but his back was hurting a lot, so we took him to ER, where they X-rayed his back and took a CT scan of his head.  Both came back negative for injury.  His back still hurts but seems to be easing up some.  

But we have noticed a change in Dad.  He has started seeing people that aren’t there and taking to them. It’s very real to him, but he seems to kind of know it’s not real sometimes.  He has started initiating conversation a little more, albeit random things that don’t really relate to anything.  We kind of just go with it, in his world, so to speak. He also talks during the night and I’m not sure if he’s sleep talking, or hallucinating.

We are wondering if maybe he had a mini stroke or strokes when he fell.  We have an appointment with his VA Geri doctor on Feb. 20th. 

I’m not looking for medical opinions, but does anyone have any thoughts on this new behavior?  Any and all ideas are welcome..

** Edited to add that we had him checked at a walk-in clinic for a UTI and dehydration, both negative **

Thanks!

Alynn

TessC
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 11:11 AM

I can't say if what you are seeing is a decline to a new stage, or new behaviors caused from the fall and possibly pain, but I will say that I think you have done very well to rule out most physical reasons for the new issues you are seeing in your father. You have checked his head and back, got him checked for UTI and dehydration, and made an appt with his doctor at the VA. He may have had a mini stroke-that could be why he fell-or he may be delirious due to the pain. Many times we do not understand the full scope of their pain. Is he getting pain meds?

I hope by the time he sees his doctor he will have come back to his baseline, or his doctor will be able to help him recover quicker. Good luck!

AlynnMac
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 12:45 PM

TessC: 

Thanks!  I’m not a medical person, so the encouragement is most welcomed.  And I see what you mean about the pain.  He was on hydrocodone and a muscle relaxer ( we had him on limited doses).  But eased him off when the new behaviors started.  And I put pain patches on his back last night and he says they have helped.  He also seems a bit better this afternoon, so pain may be a factor.  I hadn’t thought of it that way.

I appreciate your thought and ideas!

Thanks again.

Alynn

× Close Menu