RSS Feed Print
Taking another step towards stage six
mrgladd
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 2:21 AM

Tonight Dad asked me if all three of his kids had the same mother. He then asked me the name of my mother. 

I said, "You mean your wife?"

"Yes."

"What was her name?"

... ... ...

"Starts with C."

... ... ...

"C-A."

"Carolyn."

darn*. While I know this is just a symptom of change and not  the edge of a precipice it's still disheartening.

NC caregiver
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 5:08 AM

Yes it is hard when you see those memories slipping away or changing.  Mom once showed me a pic of Mom, Dad, me & my brother and happily explained to me that it's her brother and his wife and kids .   She thinks my deceased Dad is alive and left her for another woman.   She's at the end of stage 6 and her Alzheimer's has progressed fairly quickly, but seems to be on a plateau.
vaeagen
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 8:32 AM

I can so understand too. My dmil has gone back in time. She no longer recognizes her home of 61+ years and WANTS TO GO HOME! She means her childhood home but what I really think she means is she want to go back in time to her childhood. She has just recently been asking if her parents know where she is. Or she gets worried that her parents will be worried where she is. She also does not remember her husband (my dfil) of 61+ years. She knows his name (he is one of her primary caregivers with a 24 hour aide) but I am sure she does not know who he is to her. My dmil was declining quite slowly up until about 6 months ago but now is declining rapidly. I believe she is solidly in stage 6. We are having a lot of behavior issues. She gets upset because she still knows that she should "know"/remember more than she does. She does not even know where she is....again she is in the house that she has lived in her whole entire life (61+ years out of her 84 years).

Most days I hope and pray she get through this stage soon as it is so distressing for her and difficult for the family to watch and manage.

Valerie

Victoria2020
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 8:46 AM

In earlier stages, before I realized anything, the PWD would say "I want to go home" out loud to self when alone.

I think it is a mental stage of discomfort not this or that pile of bricks. I ask now " what did you like about it?" rather than trying to play where in the world is Carmen Miranda's "home."

I am so sad at the anguish and sense of disquiet they must feel. They must not feel at ease in their heads and long for the old feeling of things "just being right."

× Close Menu