RSS Feed Print
attention Deficient Disorder
abbie81
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 11:29 AM

I was diagnosed a year ago that I had mild Alzheimers.  Now my psychaitrist and psychologist think I might have Attention Deficient disorder instead of Alzheimers.  My testing for Alzheimers was only 25 minutes long.  My psychaitrist feels that I need a more extensive testing.  He is trying to get a referral for a neuropsych testing.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience with ADD.

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:15 PM

Welcome to our world, Abbie. i'm so glad you found our site.

From your library ask for any book by Doraiswamy and Gwyther. The irst part of te book describes the process that must be undergone before any diagnosis of any type of dementia is believable. Such testing is most commonly done at a large University or medical Coplex with a Dementia Dept. 

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 11:56 PM

Welcome Abbie.  The diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease (AD) is a presumptive diagnosis, made after an extensive medical and neurological evaluation to rule out the many dementia MIMICS.  People with dementia (PWDs) exhibit impairments in executive functions.  People with ADD also exhibit impairments in executive functions.  Thus there is overlap.  But intelligent medical diagnostic studies can make distinctions. This is why we need to consult experts who are knowledgeable about the dementias and dementia mimics.  

Do not accept a less than thorough diagnostic process, Abbie.  Your future depends on this.  My neurocognitive testing lasted six hours performed over three days.  That was after other studies and tests had been done.

Please keep us updated on your progress.  Also please tell us your age.

Iris L.

Smilesyourway
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 12:15 AM

Abbie, I send out heartfelt prayers that you don't have ALZ.  Press on to find a thorough medical provider that will give you the proper testing and evaluation, imaging, etc to give you a proper diagnosis.  Wishing you the best.

Smiles

abbie81
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 7:46 PM

I was diagnosed at age 55 with mild cognitive impairment after 6 hours of testing.  I am 67 now and was diagnosed at 66 with mild Alzheimers.  They told me that I did not have EO.  I have bipolar disorder and general anxiety disorder.  The news hit me very hard.  I am scared to death.  I don't have a pioneer 2019 in my emotional makeup, but admire you for your positive attitude, Iris.

In order to have more extensive testing I need to have a referral from my insurance company (Kaiser).  They do not do referrals for cognitive testing.  My Psychaitrist has been trying to have them make a exception for me.  This involves lots of paperwork.  He has been trying for 6 months.  It is a long time to wait.  They may deny the request at any time.  I have done research on self pay neuropsychologist.  Almost every place that does this testing outside of Kaiser states that I must have a referral from my insurance company.  I finally did find 5 people that let you self pay.  If Kaiser denies me we can go that route.  I heard that it is very expensive and we really don't have the money but will have it done.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:40 PM

Abbie, just the fact that you are visiting this message board and reaching out to seek more information and resources for yourself, makes you a Pioneer.  Bipolar Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder also can be mimics of dementia.  Careful, thorough neurocognitive and neuropsychiatric testing are mandatory for making a clear diagnosis.  Otherwise, how can your psychiatrist know which medication to prescribe for you?

The first time I was tested in 2003 I had to pay cash, $2,000.  In 2008, my insurance did pay; I paid a small co-pay, about $100.  

You are facing four complicated and serious diagnoses: bipolar disorder, general anxiety disorder, adult ADD, and Alzheimer's Disease.  You MUST have clarity!  Also, you may need to have repeated testing after a period of time in order to demonstrate whether or not there is truly a decline.  There may not be a decline over time; in which case, AD is unlikely.  Keep fighting for your testing, Abbie!  

Iris

× Close Menu