Standard Monthly Site Maintenance Scheduled for Sunday, July 21st from 8:00 p.m. CT to 2 a.m. CT.  Click here for more information.

RSS Feed Print
Wheelchair suggestion?
Joanne143
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:11 PM

Hello

My Father is continually trying to get out of the traditional wheelchair.  I have read about a wheelchair called Rock N Go.  Does anyone have any experience with this chair?  Does it allow the LO the ability to still scoot around but keep him safe from not being able to get out of the chair with ease?  If you have any suggestions please send them my way.  Thanks

mostlyme
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:34 PM

I posted a similar query not long ago Joanne.

If you do a search for 'Wheelchair' hopefully it will come up.  Some of the suggestions were trays and lap pillows.

What ended up working for my mother was foot rests.  She can't scoot due to her hip issues so we put the foot rests on which are ones that can be adjusted straight out if someone has a broken leg.  Normally, just the ordinary downward position of the footrest works but if she's having one of those days, a quick adjustment slightly upward seems to fool her into thinking she can't get out.

Thanks for posting the Rock 'n Go wheelchair.  It looks awesome.  I wonder how much more space it would take to manoeuver?  

I like the fact that it's a wheelchair and recliner in one.  My mother doesn't like recliner chairs so won't use one.  She's always in her wheelchair.  It would be nice if she could be in different positions at different times during the day.

Hopefully someone will post a review.

Good luck!

Mike&BrendaTX
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 10:47 PM

Joanne143,

A while back, I got this one:

(Sorry, at first the link worked then something changed it to a non-working link.  Just go to Amazon.com and type in: Drive Medical Fly Lite Ultra Lightweight Transport Wheelchair, Blue Frame, 17 lbs, 19" )

I already had a larger wheelchair with big side wheels that would go over steps, etc., but I wanted one for my wife to use indoors on our hardwood floors.  It has the following features:

• Inexpensive ($135 or so)
  • Wheels that won't leave marks on the floor (No marks at all after 5 months on our hardwood, carpets, or tile floors)
  • The foot rests fold back out of the way (or can be temporarily removed) so that feet can be used for propulsion/scooting.  The chair is light and it's easy for my wife to get all around the house in it.
  • It has a car-like seat belt so she doesn't fall out, and some storage in the back for a drink or supplies.

All told, it sounds very much like the features you describe.  I have been very satisfied with it.  The Rock N Go costs much more ($K+), so if you don't need a huge chair that turns into a recliner, this one may do the trick for you for a lot less.

Mike

Joanne143
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 8:31 AM

Thank you.. I will go back and search for wheelchair.

× Close Menu