Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.

Standard Monthly Site Maintenance Scheduled for Wednesday, May 22nd from 8:30 p.m. CT to 2 a.m. CT.  Click here for more information.

RSS Feed Print
Bible Verse To Lift You Up 05/14/2019 - Listening, Speaking, and Getting Angry
chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 12:49 AM

James 1 : 19, 20 ( ESV )

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

I have never been quick to hear, unless it's my own thoughts. This has been a problem for me all my life, but now, in our present situation, it has become a real issue. Fact of the matter is, I read the above verses and I am quite sure they were written for me. I listen when it suits me. I speak too much, and too fast. And, although I don't get angry very often, when I do, it's usually a cataclysmic event.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons I have been blessed to be Barbara's husband and caregiver. In her prime, Barbara would usually let me prattle on, and then say something that would oft times cut to the heart of the matter at hand, and also put me in my place. How nice it would be if I could state that I have learned my lesson, but the truth is that I am still learning. If anyone reading this is like me, then you may understand that this is a hard lesson, but a much needed one, and now more than ever.

You see, Barbara is very slow to hear now. In fact, sometimes she seems not to hear at all. Barbara is also slow to speak now. Indeed, even when she does speak, her words usually are barely at the level of a whisper.

For a rock head like like me, these things can, and too often do, make me angry, even though I am fully aware that she cannot help being the way she is.

Here's the real kicker though... Barbara never gets angry with me over my shortcomings. Instead, she sometimes will whisper that she is sorry.

The anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God, but I believe that the lack of anger can reflect the righteousness of God.

I have a lot to learn, and my inner man still has a lot of growing up to do.

But, with my Lord's help, and the help of His servant, Barbara, I am learning.

By the way, although Barbara's outer self is decaying on a too fast basis, I believe that her soul is very brightly reflecting the righteousness and the glory of our God.

Blessings,

Chris

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:21 AM

lovely...meaningful....helpful

thank you

chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 12:46 PM

Judith, over the time I have been on this site, I've noticed that you usually manage to say a lot with very few words. I hope one day to be able to do the same. Thank you .
annie789
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:44 PM

Chris,  thanks for the humbling words.  I am "learning" to not react negatively nor in anger no matter what happens. A steep learning curve for me!  

It just hurts my sweet husband too much if I show displeasure and I know that this is not what the Lord wants of me in my caregiving. 

VKB
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 6:55 PM

Chris.....thank  you.  Your words inspire us to be better.  God bless you and Barbara.  Hugs, V.

× Close Menu