Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.

Standard Monthly Site Maintenance Scheduled for Wednesday, May 22nd from 8:30 p.m. CT to 2 a.m. CT.  Click here for more information.

RSS Feed Print
rebound headaches
Sunnymansfield
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:21 AM

Mom takes Tylenol everyday...still has headaches.  Then I read that taking on such a regular basis can give you headaches...addictive drug abuse.
SunnyBeBe
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:54 AM

I'm not familiar with that theory. Do you know what started the headaches in the beginning? Does she have dementia?  Is someone monitoring the meds she's taking? 

My LO used to take over the counter allergy/sinus meds daily.  She seemed to always have a headache. Claimed it was sinuses.  Later on, she was diagnosed with VD.  Then, she never complained of allergies or sinus headache again.  It's odd. I'm not sure if they went away on their own or if she forgot about them. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:25 PM

Acetaminophen (in Tylenol)

• A medication-overuse headache: Incapacitating headache from the chronic, daily treatment with acetaminophen which increases the excitability of the neurons of the amygdala, and may cause anxiety along with a headache, although, it may be caused by the overuse of other migraine treatments and may be associated with insomnia, non-restorative sleep, and psychological distress.

MN Chickadee
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 6:58 PM

What stage is your mom at? Has she been seen by a doctor for the headaches? I would do that to rule out medications causing it or other issues. Was an MRI part of her diagnosis? Definitely consult her neurologist regarding the headaches. 

My mom went through a phase, I think in stage late 5 of Alz. About once a week she would complain of chest pain all the time. The first few times we went to the emergency room, did all the blood work and EKGs, looked at the digestive system, and whatever else could possibly be looked at. Nothing was ever remotely discovered to be causing it. After a while we started giving her half and aspirin and a Tums for it. We wanted to help the pain, or at least validate her feelings that she was experiencing pain but not spend another fortune on diagnostic testing if it wasn't serious. The aspirin and tums did the trick. Maybe it could have even have been tic-tacs as placebo. It passed after a few months whatever it was. I suspect it was anxiety and her brain telling her something is wrong but unable to actually communicate WHAT was wrong. The experience of having her mind fall apart was what was wrong, and she could come up with the words for chest pain so that is how it manifested. Whether it was "in her head" or she was actually in pain I don't know, but this treatment worked for her. 

SunnyBeBe
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 11:12 AM

I've read that depression and anxiety can cause actual pain in a person, even when there is no real cause for it.  The pain is real, but, their is no underlying illness.  But, it's best to rule out other things, that's why they do all the diagnostic testing first.

× Close Menu