RSS Feed Print
Filmmaking Caregiver Going to Tell My Story
Prlingas
Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2019 2:58 PM

Hello everyone,

I spent four years living at home with my mother, who has Alzheimer's, and my father, who has always been the "man of the house" and struggled mightily with my mother's condition. As I'm sure most of you know, it was a very difficult time and trying in more ways than one. I kept a journal of sorts during those four years, keeping track of the highs and lows, the funny bits, the sad parts, the times of rage, anger, despair and seeming hopelessness, all of which I turned into a manuscript that I have now adapted into a screenplay.

While there are an increasing number of films that deal with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, I feel as though the caregiver experience is focused on less and I want to tell the story of my experience with my family. I think it's important that more of these stories are told so that more of us feel less alone. All of our stories are similar and yet unique, because every person and every family is different. I look forward to completing the film and letting you all know more about it.

Cheers,

Paul

BorovatzMa
Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2019 3:22 PM

This sounds amazing! Absolutely a great idea. As another person in the entertainment business, best of luck. Our stories do deserve to be told.
Prlingas
Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2019 3:27 PM

Thank you and I heartily agree! Stay tuned for information on how to get involved.
Daisylost
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 2:32 AM

Sounds Amaze! I just recently agreed to participate in an article for UC Davis and I have been longing (some years now) to write a book! Feelings of this caregiver place, my own and all that i have experienced with others going thru the same journey! 

Do share more! 

xxD

Johns baby girl
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 11:33 AM

I think many caregivers have journaled their experience.  There has to be so many stories out there.  I have 1 journal for all of the funny things said, 1 for behaviors and abilities lost, and 1 with my (usually gut wrenching) feelings.  

Still Alice still haunts me and my husband, but you are correct that it was not told from the caregivers' side of the journey.

Thank you for getting it out to the world!

Best of luck!

Prlingas
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 5:08 PM

Thank you for your responses! It's true that so many of us keep a record of what's happening. I like the idea of separate journals. I actually had two main sections, one thing my mother was doing and another for how my father was, or wasn't, coping with it.

I encourage all of you to continue to share your stories and know that I am with you all in spirit.

River Styx
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2019 10:03 AM

That is wonderful.  I'm working on something similar.  I don't think many people understand how traumatic an experience is care taking for someone you love who has Alzheimer's.  I can't wait to see your film.

× Close Menu