RSS Feed Print
Dementia sleepless nights
taty
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 6:28 AM

I'm new to all this but Im a very desperate granddaughter. me and my mother

are the primary care givers to my 78 yr old grandmother. for the past month she has not slept

that my grandmother had started swell on her feet and legs . we had gone see her primary doctor and they prescribed her temazepam,but she fights it and gets restless at night,her recent visit just now her doctor prescribed seroquel.it worked the first night,almost too well she slept almost the whole day. 2nd day it was like the sleep didn't happen and kept fighting the medicine and once again were back where we started. we have also tried melatonin but also same results. I feel like we can never sleep again.

Dunc1129
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 7:54 AM

We have had some success with Trazadone, she started with a very low dose (25mg) and now up to 50.
angeldb
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 9:42 PM

Trazadone has worked pretty well for our mom. About an hour before bedtime seems to do the trick. Sleep deprivation is bad for all of you. Prayers and hugs.
kday
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:11 AM

My Mom was restless and swelling up at night.  Her doctor diagnosed her with congestive heart failure and put her on Lasix (which is a pill that causes you to pee out extra fluids).  She lost 20 pounds of fluid in 3 days and her sleep returned to normal.  The doctor said that the fluid causes a lot of discomfort and pain.  She now takes Lasix daily.

i2i
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 9:53 PM

When I'm loopy after being up with my dad all night, I call it (tip of the hat to Tom Hanks/ Meg Ryan)... Sleepless in Dementtle

× Close Menu