RSS Feed Print
Motormouth
Kerry E
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:40 PM

My mom hasn't been diagnosed officially but we (children) see it. The last couple weeks have been difficult as she speaks incessantly and non sensically. Is this part of a long stage if so how long does it last is there anything we can do to mitigate this? She's also used hurtful, prejudicial and disparaging words that I've never heard her speak before any help is appreciated. Thanks Kerry
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:52 PM

Truly with out a diagnosis following current protocol you do not know the cause of what you are seeing....there are a lot of different kinds of dementia as well as many causes that are treatable. 

Please get your mother to the proper Dr. 

This will help;

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/diagnosis?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paidsearch&utm_campaign=google_grants&utm_content=alzheimers&gclid=CjwKCAjwvJvpBRAtEiwAjLuRPQH7npW7INPQDzYPzMyhAm0lIU80KHB8UtX6DxqynR6w94oVxaDDqxoCtZ0QAvD_BwE

Army_Vet60
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 11:58 AM

You need to get your mom to a doctor.

We can offer guesses but we're not doctors.

If she won't let you do it, get her to make an appointment for something "head" related: confusion, dizziness, forgetfulness. She may be very resistant to seeing a doctor for Dementia.

Make sure you go with you - you can mention to the doctor you want her tested for Dementia. It's just a verbal conversational test with the doctor so your mother shouldn't be alarmed.

LicketyGlitz
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 12:10 AM

Kerry, there is an excellent FB group called Dementia through Daughters Eyes - it's a closed group so you have to request to join, but it's also incredibly supportive. I bring this up because their mom does that sort of talking behavior, although hers often ends with "I love you."

If you're on FB I'd def connect with the group, and Carmen, the daughter who seems to do most of the admin for it. We haven't experienced this with our mom, I've just seen Carmen's video updates with her mom talking a mile a minute next to her!

Livesbythebeach
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 7:37 AM

You definitely need to get your mom diagnosed, if you can.  This can definitely be a sign, a lack of inhibition and "no filter" when speaking.  

My mom also talks nonstop . . . . I got so annoyed with her endless chatter last time I saw her that I literally started going to the bathroom just to get away for 5 minutes.  She also has started saying stuff which is borderline prejudiced, and inserting insults towards my dad and me in everything she says- I literally think we're discussing the weather, and the next thing I know she's saying things like "You need to use this particular lotion so your face will look normal" (like WTH does that even mean?).  

The best you can do is ignore it, deflect, redirect, and don't enagage.  Mom's saying racist stuff? Ask her if she wants a cup of tea.  Being rude? Just go to the bathroom. 

I know it's not easy.  

BCD
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:00 PM

My mom does the same thing. She will talk nonstop for hours and hours, and hours, if she can. I think the key is having an "exit strategy" for when it's been too long, or when the topic gets harsh, or they start getting agitated. Say you have to go to a meeting, go to dinner with a friend, or that you have an appointment. Say it was great to talk, and you will talk again soon, and leave things on a positive note. Just realize it might get weirder, or more challenging, but you need the same exit strategy, so you can listen to whatever weird stuff they want to talk about, but you can go when you have had enough of it.
Lynn7012
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:03 PM

Oomgoodness my aunt is doing the same thing. Conversations with herself and answering herself.  I am her caregiver when my uncle is not home, I'm also their niece.  Motormouth, yes. Their fault, no. I try to out myself in her situation and it is impossible. I can empathize with her as far as anxiety and fears. We can talk at times but come evening, it's mostly nonsensical words. After an hour of this word salad, it's almost all one can take. It seems that it IS ok if I walk away, is my understanding in this thread.  I am also an LPN, you would think I have dealt with this my entire 27 yrs career but in a working situation, I could walk away, as long as they were safe from harm. Working as a personal caregiver to a family member and I don't feel I can walk away. But I'm going to have to.  My own sanity is at stake and I want to be the best I can to take care of her. She took care of me for so long, now it's my turn. Please God, give me better patience and understanding. I love her dearly. Thanks for letting me vent.

× Close Menu