RSS Feed Print
Nervous about calling caregiver references. Advice?
LittleVolcano
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:57 PM

I'm going to check the references of someone who I think will be a great companion/caregiver for my mother, but I'm kinda nervous because I've never done this before and am not sure what to ask/talk about. The caregiver is qualified for the job, and I feel the reference calls will go smoothly, but does anyone have any advice as to what I should ask? What time to call these people? Etc? I get nervous on the phone, in general, so there's that too.

My mother still manages most of her ADL except driving. The caregiver would be slowly incorporated into my family as "a former coworker of mine," since Mom will most likely be highly resistant to the idea of a caregiver. I'm trying to get someone into her life other than my father (her primary) so that my father can have more breaks than he currently gets (and Mom thrives around other people, which makes life easier for everyone). And then as Mom progresses, the caregiver can start helping out with her ADLs as needed. Again, the caregiver is qualified for all this, I just need advice on how to navigate the reference calls. 

Thanks in advance!

TessC
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:08 PM

I ask questions first and them ask them to tell me what they think about the person in relation to their working with their own loved one.

My questions would be, how dependable was the person. Were they on time. Were they reliable. Did they work well with you and others. Did they have an attention to details? Were they gentle. Were they self motivated to do things for the loved one or did they have to be told what to do each day? Did you trust them in your home alone. Can you tell me a time they went above and beyond the call of duty.Would hire them again?

Good luck!

LittleVolcano
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:24 AM

Great advice everyone! 

I'm running my own criminal and DMV background checks through Care.com. And the caregiver, herself, emphasized the importance of doing background checks and installing nanny cams if the caregiver (whether it be her or anyone else) is to be in the house alone with my mother, so off the bat it appears that she is not trying to hide anything and is also very aware of the abuses that happen in elder care (but of course I'll do my own research as well).

And the questions suggested are just what I'm looking for. 

Thanks so much!

× Close Menu