RSS Feed Print
Suicide threat during delusional periods
pamdemonium
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 7:35 AM

My mom has sporadic times where she is delusional.  They are becoming more frequent, more intense and lasting longer.  They sometimes last for many hours and reoccur over several days.  We are working with a geriatric psychiatrist to see if we can find some meds that will help but in the mean time it has been a rough few weeks.  When the delusions stop, she does not remember what was happening.  She says that she thinks she had a bad dream.  

At least two times recently, during delusional times, my mom has become inconsolable and threatened to commit suicide by taking a bunch of pills.  She has never spoken about committing suicide when she is lucid.  I am not sure how to react to this.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sunny_1
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 9:48 AM

Hi Pamdemonium, 

Yes my MIL (age 80 with diagnosis of Alz) had delusions and threatened suicide. And also seemingly had no memory of these periods (lasting few hours, days) once they had passed. Quite the opposite, she was maybe overly 'upbeat' at other times! 

My MIL overdosed on medications a couple of times (once leading to hospitilisation) although I'm not sure if these were serious suicide attempts or more to do with her Alz (forgetting she had taken the medication, being fixated on the medication etc). So my advice is, obviously, keep all your mom's meds and other harmful substance out of your mom's sight. 

I really wish for you and your mom that the geri. psych. gets her on a good medication regime ASAP. 

My MIL is now on medication and much calmer and more content (at least what we see of her and hear from FIL). 

Sorry that you are on this journey and sending you my best wishes. 

-Sunny 

pamdemonium
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 12:24 PM

Thank you, Sunny_1.

× Close Menu