RSS Feed Print
Timeline.
Cheremvp
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 4:33 PM

For anyone who has lost someone to this horrible disease, I was wondering if you could give a timeline as to when your loved one (their age and year)

Showed symptoms :

Diagnosed:

Required full care: (were they kept home or placed) and

Passed away? 

What was the eventual cause of death?

Sometimes I feel he is nearing death and then he has a rally and is ok. 

Sweetwater
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:05 AM

My LO first showed symptoms around 2008 or 2009, he was about 83 at that time. He was never formally tested for Alzheimer's. Our PCP described him as having age-related dementia. In 2014 I quit my job to care for him full time at home. In 2018 I placed him in a MC unit where he lived until his death in May 2019. Cause of death was technically bowel blockage caused by a hernia. He passed 3 weeks after surgery to repair it. Our PCP listed his official cause of death as dementia, Alzheimer's type. Sweetwater.
harshedbuzz
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:52 AM

Cheremvp wrote:

For anyone who has lost someone to this horrible disease, I was wondering if you could give a timeline as to when your loved one (their age and year)

Showed symptoms : In retrospect, I noticed a change in dad's personality around 2005 (age 71), followed by memory issues in 2008 (age 74) and increasingly poor cognitive and executive function along with a lack of social filter starting around 2008. I expressed concern to my mom who blew me off.

Diagnosed: 2016 (age 82) As the result of a hospitalization via the emergency department of the teaching hospital affiliated with the memory center where I wanted him seen. He was in a full on psychotic episode and was diagnosed over the next couple of months with mixed dementia- Early stage Alzheimer's and Wernicke-Korsakoff's Syndrome related to alcohol abuse. 

Required full care: (were they kept home or placed) and

Passed away? He could not be left alone by summer of 2017 (age 83) and needed help with his ADLs around that time. We placed him (late January 2018) when his care became too much for my mother physically and emotionally. He was also expressing a notion that he was dying and that my mother should die with him. 

What was the eventual cause of death? His death certificate lists Alzheimer's Disease with Aspiration Pneumonia and Korsakoff's Syndrome as contributing factors. He died in his sleep in April 2018 a few months before his 84th birthday. No autopsy was done, so a heart attack or stroke could have been the cause as well. At the time of death he was still very verbal, eating OK (he had lost 10% of his body weight while in MC, and 5% in the months leading to placement despite being plied with high calorie treats) and ambulatory for short distances. 

YMMV

Sometimes I feel he is nearing death and then he has a rally and is ok. 

Cheremvp
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 2:16 PM

Thank you for answering. I know everyone is different. It seems like we have been in stage six for a long time. When he was first diagnosed with early onset dementia the doctor told us life expectancy was around 8 years. We did do the trial drug which worked great but he had to discontinue because it was putting him into liver failure. He decline rapidly once off the medication.
Skittles412
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:02 AM

My mom passed away last year.

Showed symptoms : Jan 2016

Diagnosed: Feb 2016

Required full care: (were they kept home or placed) March 2018

Passed away? June 2018

What was the eventual cause of death? Complications from dementia

It all happened so fast.  It was a blessing for her but it was too soon for us. 

CaringMate
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 1:31 PM

As has been said so many times by so many people, this horrific disease can take its time with some and with others it travels fast.  My partner was formally diagnosed in 2016 but had been experiencing extreme symptoms since 2010.  All of his many doctors ignored the mental issues only to focus on other bodily issues.  It wasn't until I was able to have him properly evaluated by a neurologist that specialized in dementia did we receive the bad news.  That being said, it took about 10 years to travel and navigate our way through stages 1-6, but stage 7 came with a bang 1 year ago (only lasting about 3 months) and he left me on November 4th 2018.

If it wasn't for the support and great intelligence of those people who are living this battle every day on this website, I don't think I would have survived.  Now, almost 1 year later, I am still grieving his loss everyday of what is left of my life and grateful for the supportive postings of so many people with such great compassion and honesty.  Thank you all!

Eric L
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:41 AM

We noticed that things just weren't right with MIL when we moved in with the in-laws back in 2012. Things were just off. She'd tell the same stories over and over again, but the key events weren't right. Shortly after that, my FIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer so whatever concerns that we did have about her were kind of put on the back burner.

That said, we now realize that she was probably having issues (albeit very, very early stage issues) around the time that our (now) 9 year old was born back in 2010. We used to visit the in-laws for dinner every Friday night because they wanted to see their grandkids. FIL was always prompt (drove my wife crazy. he was kind of an absentee father because of work, but he never missed an opportunity for his grandkids). Getting closer to the time that we moved in with them, MIL would show up later and later. Looking back, we realize that she was probably doing extra work and probably forgot we were coming. She had psoriatic arthritis, so at that point in time, we figured that the physical demands of being a teacher were getting to be too much for her. One of the conditions of us moving in with them was that she would retire for her physical health. Now, we are pretty certain that most of her difficulties at the end of her career were related to her dementia rather than any physical problems (though they might have gone hand in hand).

MIL became a fulltime grandma in the fall of 2012. She wasn't very good at keeping track of time, but FIL was home because of his cancer (more or less). Same issues as before, but not huge. Our youngest was born in 2013. MIL was still mostly okay. FIL was still keeping her on schedule.

Stuff started really hitting the fan in 2014. I quit my teaching job (I hated it) to stay at home with the kids. MIL started getting lost when she drove. Uh oh! She had problems paying bills. She was actually diagnosed in late 2014 and FIL passed in March of 2015.

I think we started in home care in 2017. In retrospect, I think that we should have started it sooner, but we managed. Initially, it was a couple of days a week and it eventually morphed into 7 days a week. Hospice was brought into the mix last March.

MIL passed a couple of weeks ago (9/29). Her cause of death was dementia. 

OCP
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 9:13 PM

My father had some memory issues as far back as the 90’s. He was knocked out from a fall and banged his head about 2012. Maybe it was anesthesia that was used and the head trauma, but after that he couldn’t balance his checkbook or fix cars like he had in the past. He was still able to make legal decisions but his drivers license was taken away shortly after because he got lost. 

I started caring for him 8/30/2014 when his wife left him. He could do most things but drive or cook, so he couldn’t live alone. By April 2015, the VA insisted that I put him in full time care. He had behavior issues that were a danger to him and I. In 2016 he fractured his hip and had to have surgery. It took him a long time to recover and he was never the same. He was also put on behavioral drugs and I was told if I took him off they would make him leave the facility. The drugs greatly reduced his cognitive abilities. His red and white blood counts also were declining during these years for reason I didn’t know of. Diagnosing it was too invasive to put him through. 

The last year of his life, 2019, was a steady decline and the last month he couldn’t even hold his glass and couldn’t eat. He had a fever and was no longer able to walk and was out of it. He had a week mid Aug 2019 around his 84th birthday where he rebounded and we had some good conversations. He passed 9/1/2019 after his fever came back and his coma like state returned. His primary cause of death was listed as “dementia” with the low blood counts listed as a contributing factor. 

× Close Menu