RSS Feed Print
Alzheimer's Helpline Expanding Hours to Help Caregivers
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 2:08 PM

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/alzheimers-helpline-expanding-hours-to-help-caregivers-300927941.html?emci=8d9b11a0-43e5-e911-b5e9-2818784d6d68&emdi=07980223-46e5-e911-b5e9-2818784d6d68&ceid=923465

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:04 AM

CLARIFICATION NOTE:   This information and link is NOT in regard to the Alzheimer's Association and its 24 Hour Helpline which is open and available 24/7, 365 days a year.   The contact number for the Alzheimer's Association Helpline is, (800) 272-3900.

The link Michael provided is for the Alzheimer's Foundation which is an entirely different organization.

Many people are unaware of the difference and need to know that the Alzheimer's Association Helpline is there for them over the 24 hour continuum every day of the year and that the Care Consultants on the Helpline are indeed highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.

Hope this helps prevent any misunderstandings.

J.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:13 AM

I have to say I am a bit surprised that you think we may all be so stupid to not realize that. I am just giving people an option as they should have options. But AA does everything possible to squash it competitors instead of trying to work together. You make every effort to advertise AA except for other good things from all organizations. Is that what you call trying to help all of these people. They need all the help they can get. Sadly as no one has it right for them. 

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:13 AM

Hello Michael, I am sorry that you have misunderstood my clarification to the Members.  I am sorry that it has upset you and has led you to assume some things that are not accurate.

I absolutely do not think that any of the Members are, in your words, "stupid."  It would not be at all accurate to assume that I have such a belief. 

What I do know with certainty is that some Members have thought that the Alzheimer's Association and the Alzheimer's Foundation are the very same organization.  In fact, some have donated money to one organization thinking that it was actually donating to the other.  We know this because Members have spoken of it.

The Helplines are both a wonderful source of assistance.   The two organizations Helplines do however have a difference; one has a Helpline that still has limited hours despite having expanded them; the other organization has a Helpline available 24/7 for 365 days per year.   When a Member is in dire straits at night or on weekends or holidays, that is an important distinction when help is needed on the spot.   I have always been delighted knowing that there are two Helplines to reach out to those in need.

Some individuals have significant needs during the night and on weekends and holidays, the information that there is help at those times is important if a Member misunderstands the hours for availability or help and that there is indeed available assistance no matter the time or day.   I certainly was not pitting one organization against the other or touting one over the other; just providing accurate information.

As it is Michael, I do indeed refer Members to many different sources of assistance; some of them are even Chapters that left the Assn. and are now independent entities unto themselves. Wherever a Member can gain assistance for their specific needs is what is important, so you can rest assured and need not feel concerned that I would only provide reference to one source. 

I apologize if you felt that my clarification was a personal insult to you Michael, that was certainly not my intention whatsoever. 

J.

× Close Menu