RSS Feed Print
Trans Fats Can Increases Alzheimer’s Risk By 75%
BobReny
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 5:02 AM

Researchers looked at more than 1,600 men and women in Japan, who had no dementia. They followed them for 10 years and analyzed their diets and checked their trans fat. They also adjusted factors such as diabetes, hypertension, and smoking that could affect the dementia risk.

The researchers found that participants with increased levels of trans fats were 50 to 75 percent more likely to develop Alzheimer’s than those who had the lowest levels.

https://www.myhealthyclick.com/eating-trans-fats-increases-alzheimers-risk-by-75-finds-study/

Gig Harbor
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:18 PM

Have you looked at the MIND study at the NIH? They are treating early Alzheimer’s with nicotine delivered by a patch. I wonder if this will turn out to be a recommendation.
MissHer
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:35 AM

I also heard that smoking can help. My mom did not smoke. 

There were some smokers in MC ,. 

Larrytherunner
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:15 AM

Bob, thanks for telling us about the Japanese study. Artificial trans fats have been around for over a hundred years. Too bad a large long term study like this wasn't done fifty or more years ago. With most people around the world eating artificial trans fats all their lives, governments could have done more to regulate trans fats in foods years ago, and many millions of people could have been spared the torment of Alzheimers and dementia.

I should also mention the hundreds of millions of people who died prematurely from heart attacks, strokes and other diseases as well as Alzheimers. I am sure that more people died prematurely from artificial trans fats than smoking because many more people eat trans fat containing foods over a lifetime than smoke cigarettes. It is only in the last few years that artificial trans fat foods have been banned in the USA, Canada and most of Europe.

As for the study, I believe that eating artificial trans fat foods increases the chance of getting Alzheimers and dementia by more than 75 percent. That is because this was a ten year study and people likely to get Alzheimers are 60 plus years, which means most Alzheimer's patients were exposed to 60 plus years of eating artificial trans fats.

Artificial trans fats are still unregulated in most countries around the world. In Ghana where I live, people are selling fresh baked bread everywhere and it is all made with cheap imported shortening made of trans fats. Lots of foods coming from Europe and Asia are loaded with trans fats and unfortunately, there is no requirement here that manufacturers identify trans fats on the labels. I see high trans fat manufactured foods, including shortening and margarine coming from overseas, advertised on tv as healthy for children and adults. My wife and I try to avoid this imported stuff and eat healthy local food.

× Close Menu