Donate
RSS Feed Print
At peace at last
i2i
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 7:27 AM

I guess it's time for me to come over to this side.  I posted on the caregivers forum, but I'm no longer a caregiver, am I.  I started to say, we lost my father this month, but more accurately, he passed away.  We lost him long ago.  He was such a vibrant, brilliant man.  ~ sigh ~
TessC
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 9:43 AM

How are you doing these days? Alz or other dementia causing brain illnesses take down all types of smart, good people. My mother had been living those "best practices" for most of her life, but still still was dxed with Alz when she was only 71. It's a wicked disease.

I hope your heart feels more at ease and your grief is being processed smoothly. Just as I was devoted to my mom's care, I want to be devoted to self care now. It's kind of hard because it makes me feel guilty that I would want to put the time I spent with mom - out of mind- but I don't want to be unhappy for long. I hope you are doing well and getting to do some things you couldn't while taking care of your father.

Hubby and I made a list together about the places we want to go and things to do-kind of a bucket list. We didn't make it while mom was alive, but now we can think about our future. I hope your future will be bright as well! Take care.

BethL
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:13 AM

i2i and Tess, I am sorry for your loss. You can still post on the caregivers' boards; I suspect more people read those than this one. Know that people care.
i2i
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 10:32 AM

Thank you Tess and Beth.  I don't like feeling sorry for myself, so it feels better somehow to emote here on a less frequently viewed forum.  Not sure why that is.  I have also been trying to do my best by my husband, who has a progressive, debilitating condition.  It has been hard to avoid feelings of guilt.  Whenever I was tending to one, it felt as thought I were neglecting the other.   At least that struggle is over.
Skittles412
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2019 7:35 AM

i2i, I'm so sorry. It's never easy to lose our loved one even when we know it's coming.  May your father rest in the sweetest peace. I'm just as sorry about your husband's condition. With all this care giving you need to find time to take care of yourself as well. You're no good to your husband if you're not well.  Be good to yourself. I wish for you strength and peace.

xoxoxox -Kat

× Close Menu