RSS Feed Print
Mom feels half her brain is missing, dizziness
eli47
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2019 11:36 AM

Has anyone dealt with their loved one having numbness in their face or feeling like there is "space" between their brain and skull?  My mom is unsteady on her feet most of the time.  She knows that these feelings she's describing are strange, and says she can't describe what exactly is making her feel these things, she just feels that these things are happening.  Two ct scans when these episodes occur show no indication of stroke.  In googling these symptoms I came across Tactile Hallucinations, more prevalent in Lewy Body dementia, where people can FEEL things that arent' really happening.  I live 6 hrs away and am trying to come up once a month.  Last time I was there, 2 weeks ago, I asked her about those feelings and she said theyve been gone for a "long time." The look on her face made me wonder if she even remembered that happening to her.  My dad called last night and said the facial numbness is back and wanted to take her to the er yet again, which i feel will be expensive and result in the same outcome, which is to go home and follow up with primary care dr.  Also I can't find dizziness as a common side effect of dementia.  What do yall say?  Thanks for any info.

zauberflote
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2019 11:45 AM

Not exactly what you say, but a month or so ago Mom (92, late stages, in MC and at the time of her remark just a few weeks out from general anaesthesia and a week in hospital) said, as part of a deep conversation, that there was something dark in her head that made her "uncomfortable" (not physically) and it was getting bigger. What an apt description of one's own brain dying. ...lights going out... 

I hope you get to the bottom of your mom's issue!

FreakingOut
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2019 5:57 PM

Is it possible the dizziness is actually something else, like an inner ear imbalance?  OR could it be from anxiety?  I'm pretty sure dizziness is a symptom of anxiety and I wonder if it could be causing the numbness too, I know that sounds kind of crazy, but anxiety has some pretty weird symptoms.  Just throwing that out there....
eli47
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 2:58 PM

Thank you.
Rescue mom
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:18 PM

My DH has AD, as have other family, and I never heard any of them mention anything like this.

× Close Menu