RSS Feed Print
Recommended entertainment and diversions?
twills83
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 7:21 AM

My mom is recommending old radio shows and music for dad.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

zauberflote
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 7:48 AM

Those are great! I don't know about your dad's physical capabilities, so I may be way off base with my suggestions.  Here are some things my mom liked/likes:

Go for a walk. Go for a drive. Up until the summer, long day trips to tourist places, or apple "picking", were wonderful. Go out for coffee, ice cream, lunch, supper, library. Trip to art museum, movie, concert. At her previous village, in AL, one friend would take Mom on errands to Home Depot/Lowe's. They'd just wander the aisles. 

Set up a bird feeder. Plant/grow things. Did they dance back in the day? Maybe again! Cook together. Results not important.  

Mom still enjoys being outdoors. She loves the two companions we've engaged. Both of them are chatters, grandbaby-photo-show-offers, and one has a collection of dementia-specific activities that I wish I knew what they were!

twills83
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 9:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately he doesn't walk very well due to a stroke and in general he was never very interested in physical activities, at least not for many years if ever.
twills83
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 9:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately he can barely walk and was never very interested in physical activity.
Suziesb
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 3:42 PM

What stage is he in? I did different activities depending upon mom's stage. She used to enjoy puzzles, painting, adult coloring books. Now she is mostly watching tv, though she enjoys sitting with the caregiver or family on the porch watching the hummingbirds (I hung several feeders from a tree that she could watch). She also has gotten to enjoy seeing indoor plants as they grow). 

twills83
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 8:53 PM

It's hard for me to say definitivley, he shows signs of stages 3-6 (https://www.alzheimers.net/stages-of-alzheimers-disease/):

Stage 3: Mild Decline

People in stage 3 will have difficulty in many areas including:

Finding the right word during conversations - rarely
Organizing and planning - always 
Remembering names of new acquaintances - often
People with stage three Alzheimer’s may also frequently lose personal possessions, including valuables - yes

Stage 4: Moderate Decline

Have difficulty with simple arithmetic - always (for 2 years or more)
Have poor short-term memory (may not recall what they ate for breakfast, for example) - always 
Inability to manage finance and pay bills - always
May forget details about their life histories - sometimes

Stage 5: Moderately Severe Decline
During the fifth stage of Alzheimer’s, people begin to need help with many day-to-day activities. People in stage five of the disease may experience:

Difficulty dressing appropriately - unknown
Inability to recall simple details about themselves such as their own phone number - some
Significant confusion - sometimes

On the other hand, people in stage five maintain functionality. They typically can still bathe and toilet independently. They also usually still know their family members and some detail about their personal histories, especially their childhood and youth.

Stage 6: Severe Decline
The need for assistance with activities of daily living such as toileting and bathing - bathing (may be able to blame this on his mobility problems from his stroke, but also not sure he would remember to bath regularly either)

Confusion or unawareness of environment and surroundings -sometimes
Inability to recognize faces except for the closest friends and relatives - no
Inability to remember most details of personal history - no
Major personality changes and potential behavior problems - some
Wandering - Sometimes he wants to leave his room at odd times with no particular place to go or because he’s “hungry” (they feed him three meals per day).
PaniniSandwich
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2019 7:24 AM

Hi twills83,

I would try puzzles, big piece puzzles not those 1,000 piece ones, sorting beads, sorting colored cards, folding hand towels and wash cloths is my go to activity.

I don't know if your dad is a tv watcher but there are a thousand things you can find online for him.  If he doesn't have a SMART tv, there is Roku or an Amazon Fire Stick which will give you apps to streaming services or simply to YouTube and he can watch thousands of shows or concerts that he may enjoy.

Rocketman 1811
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 5:07 PM

Netflix works for us.  You can set up a TV show they lake, and it "daisy chains" from one episode to the next.  Friends, Dr Quinn, Andy Griffin and The Soprano's can fill a few days of time very easily.  There is also the feature of "If you like this, you may be interested in this".

Once you get it up and running, there aren't any keystrokes required to keep going.

Mobile AL
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 12:49 AM

When Daddy Elf started talking about his childhood, I started replacing a lot of family photos we have on the walls with photos of when he was a child, even a picture of him and his dog when he was about 7-8 yrs old. I've put up pictures of his mom and dad, his uncles, aunts, pictures of his siblings when they were younger, an old house he lived in when he was young. 

I change the pictures out every 2-3 months, sometimes I just move them to different walls in the house. He will stop and look at one sometimes and it seems to entertain him and he'll walk through the house looking at a lot of them. He seems more content and calm reliving his 'good ole days'.

He will ask me who someone is (like his mom) and I'll tell him something like: "It's an old picture of grandma taken right after she and grandpa got married. I'd almost forgotten how she looked at that age, too. I can see the resemblance in you and your mom still".

After my mother died last month, I put pictures of her and Daddy in the bedroom. Sometimes I'll noticed they've been moved or I'll see him pick one up and look at it for a long time. He hasn't once asked who she is. He knows and remembers her and that makes me feel good.

I know this is just a small thing but it can sometimes break an obsession he might be having over where his keys are (he has a ring of keys with an old house key, an old car key and a key to the garage I let him carry around in his pocket). (LOL. His keys were in his pocket all along but he swore they weren't.)

TDDIMER
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 4:39 AM

Hi, having spent many hours doing research on something to combat the boredom often associated with this disease.. I found crossword puzzles and games similar (words with friends) can help keep them focused  on a  task. TV is actually one of the worst things because it I think its gets very confusing to them and they do not have patients to wait for a long story to play out. The same with music etc..  I also think pets are good therapy if they can handle it.. a fish tank worked good. She was focused on feeding and keeping the tank clean.

Eric L
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:13 AM

I think it all depends on the person. When she was still able to, my MIL spent all day playing card games on her computer. It worked at the time. She also liked to watch shows on HGTV. The great thing with those shows is that you don't have to remember much when it comes to the home renovations. They always show before and after at the end. She also enjoyed movies on the Hallmark Channel. She loved Christmas (when she still remembered what it was) and I think the christmas themed movies gave her warm feelings. Plus, those movies all have similar plot lines that are simple so I think she liked that as well.

For a time, she did like doing crossword and word search puzzles. They often kept her occupied when we were out of the house. Up until her really major downturn last December, she still had a robust vocabulary and was able to seemingly pull words out of thin air for her puzzles (with help writing them, though). We did notice that as she declined that if we actually looked at her books that the word searches that she didn't always circle words. Whatever, it kept her occupied and focused on something and she was okay with that.

As things progressed, she did watch a lot more TV. If she got super agitated, I would have her fold rags to redirect her focus for a bit. It just really all depends on what stage someone is in and if they seem content while doing the activity. Something too advanced might be frustrating. Something too easy might patronizing. If they are content watching TV, let them. If they have a favorite record to listen to and they seem to enjoy it, go for it. As long as you consider activities to be an "in the moment" sort of thing that gives them something to focus on, you'll be alright.

× Close Menu