Site Maintenance Completed.  Click here for details.

RSS Feed Print
Adult daycare when LO gets exhausted from activities
Suziesb
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 3:37 PM

How have you dealt with taking your LO to adult daycare programs when they get tired from activities (or maybe they don't)?  I want to give my mother another trial at it as she used to enjoy it before she declined. She stopped going when she fractured her hip a year ago, just to have rehab, and then refused to go back.  I think she'd enjoy the activities but she gets really tired and needs/wants two long naps a day.  We have two excellent memory care centers here, and I know she'd get good care.

She is a veteran and the VA will pay her way totally which of course, would really help since her daytime caregiving is so expensive. I applied for VA Aid and Attendance months ago and haven't heard anything, so it would really help with her expenses until then.

Thoughts on what you have done?

MN Chickadee
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 8:25 PM

I don't have personal experience with a tired client since my mom was bursting with energy, but her daycare was equipped for tired customers. They had a room with a bunch of recliners.  Some clients needed naps, and staff would help them into an easy chair whenever they tired. They could nap any time. They also built a rest time into the day. After lunch was quiet time, where some slept and those who didn't want/need to would do quiet activities with the staff in another room. I would see if any daycares in your area have a similar setup. Or see if some offer a half day option. Ours was very flexible since they understood there was no one size fits all for dementia.
Suziesb
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 9:04 PM

Thanks MN, I'll call the day center tomorrow and ask. I hope they do have recliners, too, that would be perfect.

I should clarify, too, when I say I think mom would "enjoy activities". Would she really? Hard to say. She's been declining and not enjoying many things these days except watching tv and going outside for a bit. Sometimes she likes to watch the birds or listen to some music. But before she declines any further and still has mobility I would like to try it again.

eaglemom
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2019 8:28 AM

I would think any interaction with others would be a good thing for your mother. Since that will be different than her 'normal' routine, I'm certain she'll get tired. There is nothing wrong with her getting tired.

On a personal note I will say my DH comes home from activities and usually finds his recliner to rest for a bit. I think the social interaction is tiring, but also very good for our LO's.

eagle

Suziesb
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2019 8:26 PM

Thank you, Eaglemom. I really appreciate your input as my daughter made me feel guilty when I mentioned taking her 3 days per week "3 days! She'll get too tired! What about two short days?" When I'm off work on weekends I usually take her on outings and she does get tired, but I think it would be good for her to be around others her own age. M-F she only sees the two younger age caregivers while I work.

I called the day center today and am taking her on Wednesday from noon to 3 for lunch and a special event. The director was so helpful and really listened to me with what her needs are! Hopefully she will begin to go next week.  They really have an excellent Memory day center with many activities, and yes, they do have a quiet room in case my mom needs to lie down.

MN Chickadee
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:48 AM

Uh, is daughter doing hands on care for long periods of time? If not I would take that advice with a grain of salt. Unless you are immersed, you can't have the whole scope of the situation. 
I think trying some social interaction is great. If 3 days works, then great! If not you try a different schedule. My mom always came home tired but in a good way. It was very stimulating but that's not necessarily bad. On the days she went to daycare she was content to sit and watch tv and be quiet in the evenings, which was nice for everyone. 

Suziesb
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:44 PM

MN, my daughter has no regular hands on care with my mom.  I come home from my full time job to take over from the day caregiver at 3:30 for the rest of the evening and on weekends, since mom lives with me. My daughter has helped me very occasionally but she has two young children at home. 

I really want to try 3 days if she can handle it because it will also decrease the expense of caregivers! Omg we are paying 3000/month out of pocket. 

Thanks for your input. It makes me feel less stressed and less guilty by far. 

C D
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:04 PM

My dad is 96 and goes to daycare, he is at the point very little interests him, I know they put him in a recliner and he naps while there. I would like for him to be more active but I really just need some time to myself.

× Close Menu