RSS Feed Print
Parents Moving to Assisted Living - any ideas for smooth transition??
lurky
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2019 9:48 AM

Hi

My parents are leaving their home and moving to a brand new assisted living facility toward the end of the month.

My dad is 88 and mentally sharp, my mother has dementia. They have  24 hour aides now. They were assessed by a nurse and they don't think she needs memory care yet, they want to try them out in a regular room at first, but with the option to move them to memory care in a month (they are holding a double room for them in memory care). The facility is pressing for a move in  but we don't think it would be smart to be the first to move in, so second week soonest.   My mom watches television all day so I know the  cable should be be installed before they move in.

If anyone else has gone through this, can you offer some suggestions?

Thanks

zauberflote
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2019 3:39 PM

My SIL and her DH recently moved into a sort of new CC place in the Blue Ridge. She is maybe 71, he is 80 soon. I don't know of any dx's but dementia took my MIL, SIL's mother. 

They have lived in the same small city for well over 40 years, and most recently and longest, a "quaint" and quirky house on a big lot. It was a HUGE adjustment for them. My older son was affected as they had "fostered" him and his now-wife when wife was in college in that city. Since he'd also spent every Easter from about age two until he aged out at that quirky house, it was a big leap of faith for him!

S&BIL have no children, and knew they needed care eventually. They nested hard with all their old furniture, plant collection, art. They snagged a tiny garden plot as soon as they moved in. They sthdied hard on accepting their new home, and are imbedded into its life already. Their "frat bros" friends like the fact they can park there for a Saturday football game. They are to me a shining example of how to do it "by yourself"

Rocketman 1811
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 4:50 PM

We've been in a ALF for a couple of years now (and it really works for us).

As I interact with other residents here, a common theme to satisfaction is if they felt like they were active in the selection process ("I chose to come here" rather than "My kids made me come here").

Try and bring a few items from their home that will make them comfortable at the new place.

It will be a big transition, and as with most things in life attitude is everything.

× Close Menu