RSS Feed Print
GPS Watch?
KrisVoigt
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 1:31 PM

Hi everyone,  Does anyone have any recommendations for a watch that has GPS tracking / fall alerts, etc.  

Thanks!

TessC
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 11:24 PM

I'm sorry I do not have a suggestion. All I can think of are those complex I-watches and Android watches with GPS. I know there are dog collars with GPS so I would imagine someone has come up with something for the elderly-but with a fall notification, too? Have you looked on Amazon.com?
KrisVoigt
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:37 AM

Thanks.  I looked a bit online and decided on this one. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZR3RZV9/refx_sc_act_title_1?smid=AC9RFR8B849OB&psc=1

I'll let you guys know how it works.

Thanks,

GemsWinner12
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 11:33 AM

Great Idea! Please let us know if/how it works. If I did that for my Mom or Dad, I would think about the logistics of them actually wearing it/taking it off at any time, losing it and charging it on a regular basis. Do you live close enough so that you could monitor how your loved one takes to it, and keeps it working?
SunnyBeBe
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 6:35 PM

I tend to be wary of tracking watches, devices, etc. for a person with dementia, because, as stated upthread, the person wearing it can take it off, lose it, etc. Also, having the watch on does not prevent the person from getting lost, wandering, etc in the first place.  They could still walk into traffic, fall off bridge, drown, get injured, abducted, robbed, etc. and the device would not prevent those things from happening.
KrisVoigt
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 6:12 AM

My mom’s partner is the primary caregiver.  She’ll be the one making sure the watch is charged and my mom puts it on the morning.  This will need to become part of the routine just like taking her medication.  Obviously the watch isn’t going to protect her from every danger that exists.  But if it helps once, then in my opinion it’s worth it.
CodyW
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 12:28 PM

Please keep us posted on how it works.  

In this journey we need to have Plans A, B and C for each and every situation.  I agree with you that a smart wearable device provides an extra layer of security - not a complete solution for sure but definitely helpful.  

As tech-savvy generations enter into old age I think you'll find more and more PWD and caregivers benefitting from computers and wifi enabled devices.  

× Close Menu