RSS Feed Print
Ativan...
Tamy1119
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:09 PM

Well... since Sunday night, Mom has been having all kinds of hallucinations. Talking to people who are not there, seeing things that are not there. It has been challenging to say the least. She has been more agitated as well. 

I have antibiotics for a UTI, but getting her to take them is not easy as the pill is larger and chalky...

The Hospice nurse suggested I start using the ativan we have here. He said it should help with the hallucinations, and perhaps make her drowsy (I will say her sleep has been off as well).... 

Just wanted to get thoughts on how Ativan has worked with others???

Thanks....

King Boo
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:44 PM

We used it rarely as needed while on hospice, if he was having an agitated or upset night where the usual re-directions did not work.  It helped a lot.

For ongoing anxiety, he saw the geriatric psychiatrist for different daily medication during hospice.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 4:04 PM

Ativan is one of those meds that one can have a reverse side effect. It made my husband worse.

Additionally it is not one of the go to meds for PWD. 

You can get a pill crusher at your local drug store. After crushing put it in pudding or anything else your mother enjoys.

UTIs can be very serious i.e. they can lead to sepsis and hospitalization so get those pills in her. If she does not respond to the meds you likely have the wrong antibiotic. This will be determined by the culture.

SunnyBeBe
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:17 AM

My LOs have been prescribed that med.  One of them has dementia, but, the other does not. It's never caused any problems.  It helps one of my family members, but, doesn't have much of affect on the PWD.  If it's not helping, I'd ask for another option. Also, ask about the dose.  Often they prescribe a very small dose like .25 mg and that is very small.   Meds work differently on different people.
CatBallou729
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:05 PM

Our hospice nurse has added liquid Ativan on an as needed basis for my DH.  When he gets agitated he tried to get up out of his wheelchair and then tends to fall.  It seems to calm him and cause no problems.  But I agree with some of the other posts here: with dementia medications can be unpredictable.  We actually use Seroquel for controlling hallucinations.
Mobile AL
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:04 PM

My mother had COPD and would have anxiety attacks when she couldn't breath.  And she had a UTI she has been taking different antibiotics for the past 6 months or so, off and on. The UTI gave her a lot of abdominal pain. The pain and anxiety attacks got so bad that the home nurse prescribed ativan. Mama sees things when she takes morphine and gets big time paranoid with norco so I wasn't too sure how she would react with the ativan. It was a very low dose and she did seem to calm down within 20-30 minutes.
Pam14
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:43 AM

Tammy - Can't they do a UA on your mom on hospice to make sure she doesn't have a UTI?  They should be able to do that.  My sister had them run on hospice.  If so, then there's other ways to administer the antibiotics.  When my sister was at the hallucination stage, it was horrible.  Ativan didn't take it away completely but it did a lot to keep her from getting so agitated over the hallucinations.  However, my sister did have Down Syndrome, too, so that played into everything.  Good luck to you.  This is a hard journey to be on.

Abuela
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:59 AM

UTI can cause bizarre behavior so hope that you can get the antibiotics into her.  Also, Ativan can cause aggression.  My mom started biting and hurting nurses while on it.  Trazodone works better for her.  Seroquel was not that effective so she was put on Zyprexa.  Good luck and know that medication works for some but not for all symptoms.  Thank goodness there are some choices out there and we can ease this part of the disease for them.
BikerNurse412
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:14 PM

My Mom has Alzheimer's and is in stage 6 according to her neurologist. 

I have had my Mom on Atavan for a few months. It's the only thing that keeps the hallucinations away. She only weighs about 110 but she also only takes a half milligram on a full stomach. It doesn't seem to make her sleepy. Her dr gave her Trazodone for help sleeping. 

Hope this helped you. 

Stacypelissier
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 4:13 AM

My dad is later stage Alzheimers (late stage 6).  He is on in home hospice care and lives with me.  Hospice doc prescribed liquid Ativan .25ml as needed.   We're have him one dose several weeks ago.   He had severe adverse reaction.   My brother and I thought he wasn't going to make it.  But he pulled through after 36 hours.   We now give him Haldol instead as needed.   Much better!
GWM
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 10:05 AM

Review the use with a physician.  Dosage and timing is important since Ativan can lead to falls and could make memory problems worse

× Close Menu