RSS Feed Print
remote support group
edwardsmarkf
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 6:32 PM

hello -

i have a friend who is unable to attend a support group since he is unable to leave his wife alone.

are there any support groups available who meet either via teleconference or webcam?

thank you.

GSS
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 4:13 PM

I wonder this myself as I, a spousal caregiver, live in a small remote town with no Alz support group.  There are at least 3 groups that meet concerning weight, several for narcotics and alcohol abuse, and one for parents with children with disabilities.  I've contacted local agencies funded by Feds. and state who supply indigent people with money for utilities, food, rent, but cannot or do not fund for a trained person to lead a caregiver support group with, perhaps, another trained overseer to watch their charges during meetings.  On-line support like this is a boon as I've found the books offered are written from a professional, medical, standpoint that champions the patient but offers little in emotional, stress reducing support for the over-burdened caretaker.  What if the caregiver has never been a patient, quiet, Type B personality?  What about the caregiver's dignity, a term used continually in these books, when having to deal with very undignified circumstances?  The average person was never trained for these conditions nor, of course, would normally want them either for themselves or their LO.  But here we are....so what do we do particularly in areas where help is few and far between?
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 6:44 PM

You have now posted on what may be the very best support group.  Welcome!
Suziesb
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 8:53 PM

I've found that since I can't go to a face to face support group without paying a caregiver to be with my mom, this is the absolute next best thing!
Gig Harbor
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:32 AM

Filling your information in or posting your town’s name may help you find someone in your area with whom you can create the basis for a group. If you are on Facebook reach out on the town talk page and try to start a local group. If you have a library with a meeting room arrange for it’s use on a day in January and put up posters looking for people who might be interested in joining. If there is a NextDoor online group in your town post there. Check with all local churches to see if they have groups and if they don’t ask them to put a notice in their weekly bulletins about your upcoming January meeting. I think you will find more interest that you can imagine.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 7:18 PM

When the chat room is active in the evenings, it serves as a real-time online support group.

Iris L.

MissHer
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 8:00 PM

Welcome.. This is the best support group. You can learn, share, vent, whatever right here.
Mobile AL
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 10:46 PM

I also find it very hard to have someone sit with Daddy while I go handle business or have to go to a doctor appointment for myself.

I've not located a support group here in Mobile that has meetings at a convenient time for me and I hate having to impose on family members who have young children and are working full time jobs.

Sometimes I've thought that if there was a support group that had a room for our LO's to go with their caregiver that it would also help the LO get out for a while and meet new people. I realize that a lot of our LO's would not be able to attend due to mobility or advanced dementia problems but it would really be helpful for those that could go and also allow the caregiver to be more comfortable while with the support group because they're not worrying how things are going with their loved one.

Primary problem with this idea is having the time to arrange and publicize the meeting place and time. 

If 'free' time could be donated through Skype or another type program, it would seem simple to set up a laptop or two and have caregivers who cannot get out to virtually attend the meeting. Or, as edwardsmarkf suggested, teleconference or webcam.

Just one of those things that have gone through my mind at times.

× Close Menu