RSS Feed Print
Activities(7)
haans
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:40 PM

Hello! I am a grandchild caregiver looking for good stimulating activities to do with my early-middle stage grandmother. She really likes crafts and baking but can get frustrated with anything that is too complicated. We have made cookies together, and painted, but am looking for other ideas. One idea I had was starting a scrapbook together, that was she can go back and see the thing we have done together. Has anyone tried that?
Linda_Miami
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:16 PM

Hi.  My mom loves to cut things out of magazines.  We then put them in mini photo albums or glue them to construction paper to make collages.  She can pretty much do this by herself using children's scissors and non-toxic glue and she can entertain herself for hours.  She loves birds, flowers, gardens, cute cottages, etc.  She also loves travel magazines.

Also, Michael's has all kinds of seasonal crafts that are quite easy and very affordable.  Your grandmother will probably need some assistance though.   Michael's always has sales or coupons.

I tried to attach pics but I kept getting a message saying the files were to large. 

1of4
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:47 PM

Found an activity at Michael's making 3d pumpkins by folding paper, simple cuts, and gluing. Did with 93 yr. old mom in MC.  While she could only work on this for a limited time , she enjoyed doing it and loved showing all her visitors what she had done.  She also enjoyed doing something that produced a visible result and working hand in hand with a family member.  We did this in the community room and she also enjoyed the attention she got from other residents and staff.   

With xmas coming up I have seen a number of projects on facebook that were designed for little kids, but that mom could do with our help.  Crafting was an activity that mom felt was a worth while activity in MC.

Also tried to attache file but got too large message.  Sorry.  

abc123
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:01 PM

I really like the idea of cutting out pictures and making a collage. I can’t get my Mom to physically do anything anymore. She does enjoy looking at wild birds and flowers. That’s about it.
Rescue mom
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:26 PM

My DH loves to sort coins; we always had big containers of loose change and he liked sorting and rolling them up in the paper holders that you can get from banks for free. Many others like sorting buttons or blocks etc. but DH just liked coins.

He and my mom also loved to fold things. If I could get a pile of cloth napkins (thrift stores etc) and/or small towels and pillowcases, very simple clothes, they could fold for a good hour.

That may be too simple for yours, but maybe future reference....

Rescue mom
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:28 PM

I saw all kinds of simple crafty Christmas stuff that just needs folding and/or coloring—very easy—at the dollar store today. I didn’t t look too closely, but it might work for you.
haans
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:39 AM

I really like the idea of cutting out of magazines! We used to do that together when I was a kid, and she always enjoyed it. Thank you for your ideas

× Close Menu