RSS Feed Print
Waiting on specialized services
Lost Daughter
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:29 PM

I’m a little lost. My mother is 68 and just been diagnosed with ALZ. Not a full diagnosis as her physician wants to wait for to see a neurologist who specializes in dementia. She is on a same day notice wait list but appointment is June. Is this normal?
harshedbuzz
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:08 AM

Depending on where you live it could be. In a rural area that isn't well-served medically or insurance that isn't universally accepted 6 months could be typically.

When my dad had what appeared to be a stroke but was the onset of psychosis, mom took him to the small town ER which ruled out stroke and referred him for follow-up with the area's only neurologist scheduling 6 months out.  When mom told me this, I started researching closer to me. A week later he was in full crisis mode and we drove him 3 hours to a major university teaching hospital near me affiliated with the memory center considered tops in the city. Upon discharge he was scheduled with a doctor at their memory clinic 6 weeks out. If we had been willing to travel to a different satellite location he could have been seen a little sooner. 

× Close Menu