Donate
RSS Feed Print
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Prevents Dementia
BobReny
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:02 AM

According to a clinical trial conducted by researchers from Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University has found that extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) could help boost brain function and prevent different forms of dementia.

The team of researchers conducted the research on mice who had developed tau in their brains. "Tau is a protein that has been found to decline the mental functions and memory" Tau accumulates in the brain forms harmful tau deposits  blocking neuron communication and eventually impairing memory.

The researchers put the young mice on diet rich in EVOO and found them performing better in learning and memory tests than the mice who were not given diet containing EVOO

http://bit.ly/2Olt2uA

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:30 AM

Consumption of extra virgin olive oil may help reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease because it is a good antioxidant.  In particular it is a good peroxynitrite scavenger and this is likely the key to the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer's disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10218666

Larrytherunner
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 2:02 PM

Olive oil, unlike most other edible plant oils, contain low levels of linoleic fatty acids, where as most cooking oils we use today, such as soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, etc, contain high levels of linoleic fatty acids. In the body linoleic acid is converted into arachidonic acid and then converted into prostaglandins and leukotrienes, which are pain and inflammatory signaling molecules. Leukotrienes in particular appear to increase brain inflammation.

There have been a lot of small scientific studies done, some which indicate that high linoleic acid oils promote inflammation, and some indicating that it doesn't. It would be great if the government did a large long term study with thousands of participants. They could form groups with people consuming oils with different levels of linoleic levels. Some groups could consume their daily meals cooked with oils with high levels of linoleic acid. Other groups could consume oils with low linoleic acid content such as olive oil and canola oil. Then they could run tests to check for inflammation and other health indicators over the long term.

This is most likely not going to happen. Giant corporations like Conagra have huge investments in all types of edible oil production all over the world, and they will oppose any government research showing that any one oil is healthier than another.

This reminds me of the artificial trans fats debacle. Artificial trans fats were consumed for more than a century before the US, Canada and the EU banned them a few years ago. Since the 1960's, scientists were warning that trans fats were deadly. Lots of small studies were done showing that trans fats increased the rates of heart attacks, strokes and other diseases. Yet the government never did a large long term study into this problem. No doubt the major food manufacturing companies were able to stop any major government research, and millions of people have died prematurely due to trans fat consumption. Even now artificial trans fats (shortening, margarine, etc) are among the most common fats used in poorer countries.

I am not saying that linoleic oils are anywhere as dangerous artificial trans fats, but I do think that a large long term government study is necessary to determine its effects on health, particularly related to inflammation and aging.

Meanwhile my wife and I use Canola oil. It is low in linoleic acid and good for cooking. Olive oil is also low in linoleic acid but it smokes a lot in the frying pan. My wife and I also eat a lot of fish, and I especially like sardines, which are high in Omega 3 and low in mercury when compared to tuna and other large fish.

"Pin on health info" https://www.pinterest.com/pin/97320041925411544/

× Close Menu