RSS Feed Print
Strange episode... any thoughts?
mostlyme
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 12:00 PM

Hello all,

My mother had a strange episode this morning.

She is in MC and the nurse called me to describe what was happening.  I wasn't here but hubby took the call.  I phoned back 15 minutes later and she had snapped out of it and all was well.  She is stage 5 - still engages, talks and moves around in her wheelchair just fine.  

I'll describe it...  It doesn't really sound like a TIA to me.

My mother slumped in her wheelchair and was making a repetitive sound.  Her eyes were blinking and her hands were making duck quacking motions.  She couldn't answer any questions; her talk was incoherent.  The care aide called the nurse and the nurse said she was able to bring her back by talking to her.  This is what puzzles me the most.  Doesn't sound like that would be the case with a TIA.  The nurse brought her to the nurses station to do her vitals and started taking her blood pressure.  She screamed bloody murder and said it hurt.  Then tears started streaming down her face and she went back into her episode for another minute.  She then came out of it - looked at the nurse and asked "what was that?!"  She laughed.  She then told the nurse what a good nurse she was for not freaking out.  She laughed again.  The nurse was then able to do her vitals without incident.  She's now completely fine.  

Any thoughts as to what this might be?  Anyone see anything like this before?  I'm thinking it might be stress related as I have been very busy and haven't been able to see her as much - also her table mate died so there's change there as well with a new table mate.  Hmmmm...

terei
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 1:04 PM

It may have been some type of seizure.
i2i
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 2:12 PM

Did they check her blood sugar?
mostlyme
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 2:14 PM

i2i wrote:
Did they check her blood sugar?
We were posting at the same time...  
No, they didn't.  Could this cause this kind of symptoms?  Something similar happened a few months ago, and again, it was in the morning before breakfast.  Good thought...

mostlyme
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 2:15 PM

terei wrote:
It may have been some type of seizure.
Yes, that's what the care aide thought.  Just got back from seeing her.  She's doing better than good.  So happy!  I wonder if maybe she's a little manic...

Golondrina
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 9:16 PM

Hi my mom did that after a visit to the ER and did it for the last 2 months of her life she passed away last Wednesday her geriatric Dr said it' was the dementia advancing every time she did that I will just talk to her and distract her with something
Marta
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 9:38 PM

The person who can best advise you about what happened is the person with the highest level of medical training who witnessed your mother’s event. Everything else is just speculation.
mostlyme
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 1:03 AM

Golondrina wrote:
Hi my mom did that after a visit to the ER and did it for the last 2 months of her life she passed away last Wednesday her geriatric Dr said it' was the dementia advancing every time she did that I will just talk to her and distract her with something
Thanks for that Golondrina.  For the first 4 years of this journey I thought my mother was going to die at any time.  I then came to the realization that she can live for years so now I don't think about her death at all.  I don't know what's in the cards for her but it's a good wake up call for me to be a little more balanced with my thoughts on her death.

mostlyme
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 1:08 AM

Marta wrote:
The person who can best advise you about what happened is the person with the highest level of medical training who witnessed your mother’s event. Everything else is just speculation.
Thanks Marta.  That would be the nurse who thinks perhaps that it was a TIA but in her words 'I don't really know what it was'.  She said the docs won't do anything about it but she will report it nonetheless.  I know folks on this site have seen many things so thought I'd come here to see what others had experienced.  But for sure, it's all speculation.  Although it was a good thought by i2i to have them check her blood sugar should it happen again.  Those gems help!

× Close Menu