Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
How the skin heals?
bestskintreatment
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 2:42 PM

When the skin is injured, the body sends blood to it with substances that protect it from infection and help speed up healing. Then new cells are produced to make up new skin and blood vessels. 

Children receiving cancer treatment may experience side effects that impact how the skin heals and regenerates, including surgical incisions (cuts) or therapies, such as  radiation 

Scars may also form. Whether or not a wound leaves a scar on the child usually depends on how deep the wound is. Scars do not grow and will decrease over time as the child grows. 

Talk to your provider about the long-term effects of cancer treatment scars and what options are available.

Protection from skin and sun

The chemotherapy and radiation therapy can cause a patient's skin more sensitive to the sun. Both can cause the skin to burn faster, as well as increase the chances of secondary cancer, such as  melanoma. .

To protect the skin of a child receiving cancer treatment:
  • Wear sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 when you are outdoors.
  • Wear long sleeves and hats when you are outdoors. This is an additional measure to the use of sunscreen, as even clothing with SPF protection may not be enough to protect a child's skin. 
  • Limit time outdoors as much as possible, especially between 10 a.m. m. and 3 p. m. when the sun is stronger

Skin changes to look for 

Skin reactions are common in patients who are undergoing cancer treatment. The medical team should inform families about possible skin problems with the treatments. Parents should check their child's skin regularly for the following:

• Scaly, red, or roughly textured skin
  • Cracks in the skin
  • Any bleeding between the skin lines covering the joints, including knuckles or elbows
  • Changes in color
  • Changes in sensation (such as pain, numbness, burning, or tingling)

A doctor should be contacted if the child has a rough texture, redness, or pain in the skin, or if he shows signs of infection, such as pus or tenderness near areas where the skin is cracked. 

Caring for dry skin

Dry skin is dead skin and poses a risk of infection, since dead skin is food for bacteria. skincell pro reviews   Dryness also weakens the skin by making it easier to open and break the outer "waxy" lining that helps protect it. 

Common causes of dry skin include the following:

• Frequent baths
  • Aggressive soaps (any soap that is not pH balanced or neutral, or that contains a fragrance)
  • Extreme temperatures (inside and outside)
  • Wind
  • Sun exposure (even cloudy days)
  • Medications (such as chemotherapy or corticosteroids)
  • Dehydration (not drinking enough fluids)
  • Corticosteroid-induced hyperglycemia
  • Some infections
  • There are several ways to prevent skin from drying out, such as:

• Apply moisturizer after bathing (see below)
    • Drink plenty of water and other liquids
    • Protect skin from cold and wind
    • Avoid dry heat
    • Keep nails short

Young adults may also want to consider the following:

• Use an electric razor instead of a razor to avoid cuts or irritation
    • Using deodorants as directed by your provider

Marta
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 3:15 PM

Hello. Are you involved with someone who has dementia?  You may have landed on the wrong message board.
kojicraps
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 12:47 PM

I started taking care of my skin only when I had age spots. These are larger than normal freckles, darker. I really don't like it on my face.

× Close Menu