Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Stages of ALZ
BobinLargo
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 4:50 PM

I was diagnosed with ALZ 2 and a half years ago. I know it effects everyone differently. But will you mind sharing how long you have been in the early stage.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 10:25 PM

Welcome, Bob.  I don't have a diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease, but my diagnosis is cognitive impairment not otherwise specified.  I follow Best Practices which are helping me.  I joined this board in 2009.  One of the first things I learned about was Best Practices, which are lifestyle habits which an help some PWDs (persons with dementia).

These habits include:

--taking medications as prescribed

--eating the Mediterranean or MIND diet with fruits and vegetables for antioxidants, eating fish and nuts for omegs-3 fats 

--exercising vigorously to tolerance

--continue to stimulate the brain

--continue to socialize.

Also get restful sleep, avoid stress and consider alternative/complementary therapies if interested.

Also if you do a search, you will find many threads from alz+.  She has AD.  She does not post much now.  Look in the Younger Onset board.

How are you doing?

Iris

laughing
Posted: Thursday, June 3, 2021 2:58 PM

I was diagnosed in 20018 and don't remember anything I was doing 10 minutes before. I set alarms on my phone and wall to the phone to cut it off and do what I typed in the phone (take meds, chores) and have no idea what the alarm is going off for for things I do everyday. ZI cannot add or do basic math and need help with most things. I dress myself but need help if I want to hang a picture or simple things. I don't sleep at nigh; it takes 2 hours to fall asleep and I wake in the middle of the night sometimes not knowing where I am. I have MCI due to ALZ and can't imagine if this is early stage what ALZ will look like later. I lost my job in 2019 due to numerous mistakes and forgetting daily tasks and just started receiving disability. I try to maintain a positive attitude and am fortunate to have a wonderful caregiver husband. It is still hard to believe this is happening but exercise eat right and keep your mind active with brain games is the best advice I can give.
alz+
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2021 11:59 AM

Bob and Laughing and anyone -

I tried all the super safe stuff right after I was diagnosed with Younger Onset in 2013. This included B12 complex drops, daily walking in nature (it was right out my door back then, moved to a trailer park now).

Insomnia ended about a year ago, that sees very common. To stop fighting it I moved to my own bedroom and stayed up at night watching videos on YouTube or reading. All the problems in handling the deficits I tried to work with and not fight them.

The biggest help came when I started CBD oil and once dispensaries were available I also got a THC oil which helps me sleep all night and eases chronic back pain. I have not used it for anxiety yet, just realized that.

Using cannabis (in California the dispensaries deliver as I can't drive) has helped me get my walking up to a mile + a day. I started youTube yoga class 2 years ago and that has helped much more than I ever expected. I got stronger which makes living alone safer. I can do everything at my own pace and concentrating on my body and breath seems to clear my mind for hours and has improved my sleep.

Some days (a lot lately) I don't want to get out of bed. If the CBD oil doesn't have me up and about, I smoke cannabis. This gets me to relax in bed doing something I enjoy (TV, internet reading, audiobooks, etc) OR I find myself walking the roads of the trailer park and able to go a mile or more. It acts like a fuel for me, is inexpensive, and the results are a big help.

all the CBD in the word does not help me do any math.  My children have relieved me of all bill paying and tax stuff, I still hate using a phone. Some things are not worse than 2013 now! Other things have progressed. Vision changes, deafness, following directions (I have taken up baking and following a recipe is a production but I taught myself to not get upset and if it takes 12 tries to get 1/3 cup of water into a bowl - so what? Some mistakes have been terrific.)

My Dad and his Mom had ALZ and it started younger, early 60's. I helped take care of my Dad which taught me a lot. The people who have symptoms start after 70 seem to have a slightly different journey.  I did not know about CBD oil when my Dad had ALZ but he sat at his desk every day for hours and we let him. He died after a hip fracture from a fall.  He was often verbal with me but not my mother or other people. We communicated telepathically when the hip surgery anesthetic ended his ability to speak.  The rest of my family assumed he "was gone" and avoided him when he stopped speaking.

I believe we have such individual experiences that we are better off just being kind to our new deficits. Painting, music, poetry, nature are all generally beneficial things to enjoy in one's own way. When reading became difficult I began listening to audiobooks online and love it. I have a hammock in my carport - lay out there and listen. 

For past 8 years I have been meaning to paint - water color, whatever, I have supplies and still can not pick up a brush.  Taking an interest in what my brain likes and dislikes and being its friend is the stage I'm in now.

love and courage

TommyT
Posted: Monday, August 9, 2021 2:00 PM

I was diagnosed in 2008 at age 58. I'm still here.
laughing
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2021 6:58 PM

You are in such great control of your journey and have a wonderful attitude. I wish I could try CBD oil but my insurance does annual bloodwork and it is terminated for use of cannibis since it is government insurance. Best continual wishes for you.

× Close Menu