Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Advice please(7)
Krimpet
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2022 9:25 AM

Lately my aunt hasn’t been wanting to eat , not sleeping and being argumentative about hygiene, she speaks often about hurting me, refusing medications. Is it possible that I can take her to a hospital and they can possibly admit her to a psych unit for observation?
M1
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2022 10:21 AM

Short answer yes, Krimpet, but there may be some solutions short of that--have you talked to her docs?  There are medications that might help that you could start at home and only resort to the hospital if they don't work.  Seroquel, for example, is great for sleep and agitation/agression both, and pretty safe in most circumstances.  Also comes in liquid, if you can't get her to take a pill you could put it in a milkshake or any drink---
Krimpet
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2022 11:16 AM

Yes I’ve spoken with her physician and she referred me back to her Psychiatric nurse practitioner whom keeps telling me that she can’t manage all of my aunt’s behaviors with medication. My aunt is currently on Buspar 10mg twice daily, Risperidone 0.5 twice daily and remron 30mg trazadone 150mg at night. Previously she was on Klonopin twice daily, Zoloft, haldol. The Psych NP said that the medication regimen was inappropriate and weaned her off of those and my aunt was not on psych meds but has since gotten worse and now she’s on the new regimen and it isn’t working. The Psych NP doesn’t want to do seroquel because she thinks my aunt is at risk for falling, I disagree and wanted to try it because I feel my aunt would have success with it. It’s all so frustrating
M1
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2022 11:40 AM

I agree, must be frustrating.  I know this takes some doing, but I would have no hesitation about going over her head and tell her you want to speak with her supervising physician, otherwise you want your aunt admitted.  Sounds like squeaky wheel time, to me.  

I don't know that Seroquel would have any increased fall risk compared to risperidone or Haldol, and if the risperidone isn't doing the trick, you are entirely correct that something needs to change. 

Good luck--let us know what's happening.

Krimpet
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2022 3:08 PM

Thank you. I’m going to speak with the Psych NP and explain to her that I need her admitted if I’m unable to manage having in my home in this state. It’s truly a lot to deal with. I’ll keep you posted.
Krimpet
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2022 10:22 PM

I wanted to update you. My aunt has gotten worse since my last post. I took her to the hospital and they admitted her. The nurse is supposed to follow up with me tonight but it’s 11:18 pm and  I doubt I’ll receive a call. The Nurse did say my aunt is acting up probably due to not being on any antipsychotics. I explained to her the situation and that my aunt is a danger in my home. I’m worried just thinking of her returning back here. If they call me tomorrow trying to discharge her, I’m going to tell them that she’s unable to return to my home. Hopefully the Socialworker can transfer her to a Skilled Nursing Facility. Any thoughts on this? I really don’t want her back
mommyandme (m&m)
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 12:55 PM

Is she admitted to Geriatric Psych ward or to regular hospital? Maybe a transfer to the specific type of hospital could be the next move?  Not sure.  From what I’ve read from these wise folks, telling them you cannot bring her back home is the right way to have her admitted to a facility.

Let us know.   

Lizaru
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 1:16 PM

We are going through similar things with my mother. We’ve been told that the only way to get her into a nursing home Long Term Care is to do exactly what you are doing. Go to ER, say she is not safe at home, that we are concerned with our safety (she is hitting and biting) and the ER is obligated to find her a bed in a nursing facility. We are applying to LTC facilities, also, on the chance that the stars align and a bed should open up in a facility of our choice. But, man is it frustrating. I am very disappointed in her docs’ response to her situation. It leaves me feeling really alone, at my wit’s end, and hopeless! It is a comfort that there is someone else going through the same thing. Thank you for writing. I’ve already mostly gotten over my guilt at sending her somewhere, but it’s just untenable now.
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 1:31 PM

Doing a drug interaction on the current meds using drug.com there are 3 major interactions and 2 moderate one that you need to be aware of and watch out for.

Most often I think we are thrown into being responsible for another human being with zero training. One of the pioneers in "caregiving" is Teepa Snow. If you google her name with a specific problem you are facing she will likely have some advice to share. 

Another pioneer is Naomi Feil and her valadation theory.

I would give each of these ladies a look-see. They might be helpful to you at this point in your journey.

× Close Menu