Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Black Cohosh
Myriam
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:13 PM

From Alzheimer's Daily News: 

(Source: xconomy) - Alzheimer's drug developer Satori Pharmaceuticals raised $37 million to investigate a new source of Alzheimer's-fighting compounds: black cohosh, a flowering herbaceous plant that's most commonly marketed as a nutritional supplement to relieve symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes. 

Scientists separated out and scrutinized the components of black cohosh, until they hit on one that would act against amyloid beta 42 - a protein believed to cause the damaging brain plaques that characterize Alzheimer's disease.

The key attribute of the compound the researchers found, reported Satori CEO Jeff Ives, is that it appears to inhibit the toxic protein without interrupting normal brain functions.

In animal studies, the compound has proven to be highly selective - meaning it binds with a specific enzyme called gamma secretase, blocking amyloid beta 42 without affecting normal proteins. The company hopes to be able to intervene early, maybe even before patients have symptoms, to kill the "bad actor" in Alzheimer's, Ives said. "What we want to do is stop the first step in the formation of plaque."

Go to full story: http://www.xconomy.com 

Lisa428
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:09 PM

Hi Myriam,

Thanks so much for sharing.

Very interesting.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:16 PM

Black cohosh should not only inhibit the formation of amyloid plaques, and thus help protect against Alzheimer's disease, at least one of its components (caffeic acid) helps protect against the hyperphosphorylation of tau proteins (which leads to problems in neurotransmission) and inhibits against calcium influx which leads to the death of neurons.  It is one of probably dozens of plants, whose compounds can both protect against Alzheimer's disease and also be used to treat the disease. 

http://www.mendeley.com/research/protective-effect-caffeic-acid-against-betaamyloidinduced-neurotoxicity-inhibition-calcium-influx-tau-phosphorylation/ 

I love the way you find these studies Myriam.  I look everyday with what I think is a thorough search, but I still miss several of the articles that you find.  Could you also post this study on clinical trials?  Thanks.

Geegee
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2012 9:19 AM

Hi Myriam!

Thanks for find this information to share.  I look forward to reading about it.

Geegee

× Close Menu