Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
What Are You Thankful For?
younghope1
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 9:06 AM

I realize that religion is a touchy subject on any forum, but I wanted to share mine. As you that know know me here, you know that I have a deep faith in my Lord Jesus Christ. If it wasn't for him, I would no doubt according to my neuro be here talking to you when I had that light stroke and the blood clot went to the left side of my brain. I do have other difficulties but he always sees me through. No matter how hard and rough times get, I know I can time to him. He walks beside me whereever I go.

I know that others of you have your own faith and as human beings that is a choice that we each have. To be able to worship in our own way is a privelege and for that I am thankful. You see on the days that I am down, or it is cloudy, I know that I can not only look to God for support but look to you all my forum family. We are here to support one another regardless of our type of dementias and to listen, cry together, laugh together and even give cyber hugs, which we need many times.

Even though we have been devastated by these horrid demenitas, I think we should each try and find one thing that we are thankful for. We are all still here for a reason whether we know it or not. I am thankful for my son, my church family and you all. What are you thankful for?  

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 11:22 AM

I am thankful that I can still see and hear and walk and eat regular food.  I'm thankful that I have food to eat and that I have a roof over my head and that I live in the USA.  I'm thankful that my treatments are helping me.  I'm thankful for the members on these message boards.  And of course, I'm thankful for my salvation. 

Iris L. 

bunnybh
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 12:34 PM

I'm thankful for have 53 years so far with my husband. Even after Bill's, having ALZ for 10 years and his years before that with brain surgery, prostate cancer, kidney stones, working with anti convulsives for epilepsy for over three years (which he ended up not having at all - mistake in the testing)...well, that and more, he's always been a kind, gentle man.

Happy for fresh water and bubble baths every night - STILL happy having a dish washer ( I used to hand wash dishes for my parents family of 13 people).

Remember to squeeze every bit of happy out of every day.

Bunnybh

Myriam
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 5:13 PM

I am thankful for my family, my friends, and the Alzheimer's Assn...oh, yeah, and my dog, Joe Cocker!

Nikki
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 8:51 AM

I am thankful that God and my family have given me the strength to continue to fight for a cure of Alzheimer's.  I wake up everyday with a voice to have people hear our story and that of others.  The love that I share with my husband and my family and the connections that I have made on this site.
Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 3:34 PM

Bunny,

Have you ever discussed with your neurologist a possible connection between the previous brain surgery and the dementia?

Does anyone know of any studies concerning that.

We do know that trauma to the brain like concussions have a relationship. And brain surgery certainly is a major trauma? I wonder if anyone ever did a study of those with various types of brain surgery and later incidence of dementia?

Tonya2
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:34 PM

I am thankful for my husband that he chooses to walk this path with me....for this board n all the ppl here....for my meds.....for finally having a dx....f.or my home , family and cat.....
Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:47 PM

Hi Tonya, Glad you're with us. And yes, a diagnosis can be a relief. Later on most people fight the diagnosis. But Early Stage is where those of us with the disease can do the most to slow it down.

And thanks for this Board that keeps us in touch with each other.

John891
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:59 AM
Tracy, this is an encouraging post.  Well I am thankful for discovering the meaning of life.  I am glad to be alive and to enjoy things like I have never had before.  Coming from a bad past of long life depression, I cope with it much more better than ever before.  I still struggle, but life is much more meaningful to me now.
younghope1
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:10 AM

Thanks John and for all the other replies in regards to this post. It is nice to see what we have to be thankful even though we have been given a life changing diagnosis.

Tracy

Camp Building Bridges

SteveSanJose
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 4:54 PM

I am thankful my faith in God has kept me alive. I had a head injury, where I was unconscious, I should've died, I did not I have a disease, Alzheimer's, that will lead to my death, but my strong faith keeps be strong, and prolongs my life. For God does not cause, or prevent disease, but prolongs death from it, without suffering.
Nora
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 2:38 PM

I realize this board is for people who have dementia, not the caregivers, but I wanted to share what I am thankful for.

My 92 YOM is probably stage 6, does not know who I am although she calls my brother "the young man," (he's 57!) and knows he is her son. She has forgotten the other son, alas, but then he lives further away and has his own problems. Mom lives with me and she is my blessing despite this illness. Yes, she has forgotten who I am and doesn't even equate the name (when she asks me) with her own daughter. But every time I do something for her, she thanks me, comments on how nice a plate looks or a blouse I selected for her to wear, even thanks me for a shower which terrifies her. And at bedtime, she says she does not know how I do it all, how I can work here and do so much.....she is so appreciative to this stranger in her midst.

The best one came one night recently when she said to me, "I hope your boss knows what a good worker you are, how much you do." I replied with a smile, "Yes, I am sure He does." And when it all comes down to it, as long as the Divine Boss knows I am doing my best, nothing else can matter, and certainly not my ego. At least she likes and respects "the lady" who lives in the house where her son visits and her cats live!

Had to share that one with you and to wish all a peaceful journey through this process.

Myriam
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:25 PM

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:27 PM

Nora, thank you for sharing with us.  Your Mom sounds so sweet!  She raised a wonderful daughter, YOU! 

The boards are for all members.  Please visit us often. 

Iris L. 

Willow
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:26 AM

I too am thankful for my spiritual need and the strength God gives me.  I'm thankful it's finally spring, that I'm still able to drive, that I can eat good food without it being blended and sipping it through a straw, for the lovely gift of music, for good friends and family, for being able to be outdoors alone without supervision and for this wonderful board!

And thanks for beginning this discussion! 

× Close Menu