Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
"Consistent with patients having Alzheimer's"
GrandmaG
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:02 AM

That was mom's diagnosis over eight years ago.  Dementia of some sort is indeed causing her health to steadily decline.  However, I have always doubted Alzheimer's.

Mom's been in a NH for over three years and *constantly* shocks her caregivers by what she remembers or can do.  Most recently, after 2-months of barely talking and having to be fed, mom is beginning to remember things.  My dad, 2-year-old grandson, and I visited her Tuesday morning.  On Thursday morning, mom was able to tell my brother about the visit.  How is this possible?  

Mom's been on hospice since last October.  Since then, we've been told *many* times that she only has days or weeks.  I don't believe any predictions at this point. Is autopsy still the only way to confirm Alzheimer's?

dayn2nite
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:49 AM

I think if you really want to nail the type of dementia, a brain autopsy will give you the answer.
bela
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:32 PM

Wow! Count your blessing which I am sure you are doing.
bestdaughterreally
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:46 AM

Some other dementias affect the brains in different ways - could it be VaD?

or could it be a dementia related to depression, Vit B or D deficiency, thyroid or anemia problem? 

GrandmaG
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:15 AM

Mom's fought high cholesterol most of her adult life.  She had a quad bypass nearly 20 years ago.  After the operation, she ate healthy and worked out regularly, yet still couldn't get her total below 200.  Often it was above 300.  She's also fought depression for as long as I can remember and has thyroid issues.  As you can see, mom's dementia could be a result of many things and not Alzheimer's.  Unfortunately, however, I believe family will fight me about having an autopsy performed.

dayn2nite
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 11:45 AM

If there are any grandchildren or great-grands, I would stress the importance of knowing what kind of dementia for their sake, in case an effective treatment or cure for only 1 kind is found in the future.  Maybe then they wouldn't fight an autopsy.

× Close Menu