Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Adaptation methods?
lesinindy
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 12:47 PM

With the speed that  the MCI showed up I am betting on the worse and hoping for the better. I really do expect EOAD is around the corner, that being said I think I need to proactive now to adapt to my changing life. The thought occured to me to ask what kind of coping methods and adaptation methods you have used to deal with the memory problem.

I saw a T shirt the other day with "If I don't remember it, it never happened" that got me to thinking about how I can use technology to help me out. I am considering buying a Tablet with a bluetooth keybord and mouse (with my already parkinson's like symptoms (that exam is coming up) I really have a hard time with touchscreens. I also have begun to practice rituals where I put the same thing in the same place everytime (sometimes I don't) and have begun to really try and pay attention to what I am doing.  In that light I was not paying attention last week and put my car keys in my brief case instead of my work keys and proceeded to rack up a $126.00 locksmith bill, lesson learned.

Does this sound like a good start? any other suggestions?

I am really trying to look at this whole thing in the best light, I really don't have any doubts any more as to what is happening and even the Parkinsons symptoms I am seeing humor. Such as being the designated martini shaker or volunteering at the 4 H fair in the lemon shakeup booth.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 1:06 PM

lesinindy wrote:

In that light I was not paying attention last week and put my car keys in my brief case instead of my work keys and proceeded to rack up a $126.00 locksmith bill, lesson learned.

I keep my keys in one of three places--on the hook by the door, in my purse, or in my pant's pocket--not a jacket or sweater pocket because I might take off a jacket or sweater and leave my keys somewhere.

I also follow the Flylady's system for bill paying.  I should admit that I have gotten off track at times, but her system does work if you follow it.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:57 AM

lesinindy wrote:

I am considering buying a Tablet with a bluetooth keybord and mouse

Les, what is a bluetooth keyboard?

Iris L.

always&4ever
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 9:33 AM

Excellent ideas!

Iris...a blue tooth keyboard is a computer keyboard that connects to your computer, IPad, or other electronic gadget wirelessly.  Some of them are portable so you can carry them with you.  Very convenient and would be very beneficial to someone with Parkinsons.  Touchscreens are so finicky.

Lisa428
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 11:23 AM

Dear lesinindy,

Hello and welcome to the alzconnected Message Boards.  I am sorry about your diagnosis but I am glad you've found us.

I'm not sure if you are aware that a diagnosis of MCI one of three things can happen.  First, you can revert back to normal, second, you can stay the same, third, you can go into AD.

I guess you are preparing for the worst which is always a good idea.

Sounds like you've come up with some good ideas already.  Do you have a caregiver?  Someone to help?  That is an important step.

I can add this to your ideas.  Don't put something away (in drawers or closets) unless you write down where you put it.  For me, It is out of sight out of mind.  I completely forget that I have it.

Have you tried calling our 24/7 toll free AD Helpline?  800-272-3900.  There are lots of wonderful people there who can give you more ideas too.

Good Luck.  Please keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

Again, Welcome.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

× Close Menu