Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Laughing at yourself is Fun...Really.
Kaye
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:15 PM

A funny thing happened to me Sept. 14. Y'all know I have Alzheimer's, which I find at the present time a convenient excuse for some things I do. Did you know that Alzheimer's was discovered in 1905? Yep, it sure was. Do you know by whom? You got it! Mr. Alzheimer. Imagine that.

Well, back to my shorts. I got up under a bright sunny sky. You need to know that it was after 8:30AM thanks to those lovely pills I take some which helps my Alzheimer's but also helps me sleep, which I do very good. So if you are going to rob my house of packed boxes, you won't wake me up. My spouse, Lisa and the two babies that is a whole different ball game.

So anyhow, I got up which is a real big deal for me as I don't have to call the casket guy who I have on speed dial just in case. Be prepared, I always say. Well anyway, I washed up, which when I looked in the mirror almost frightened me to death and no, I wasn't near a phone. Figures right?

Just in case you don't know, I wear wigs all because years ago I had some medical thing and lost all my hair everywhere. But that a story for another time. Back to my shorts. After washing up, finding a towel, drying off, putting on deodorant, and powder so I would smell like a walking flower pot, I went into my bedroom, figured out what I wanted to wear. I picked out a polo shirt with Old Glory on it and put it on Old Glory to celebrate Patriot's Day, which I found out later was a few days before, and put on a pair of shorts so my knobby knees would show. There I was done.

Well the day progresses like everyday does, until about halfway through the day, I reached into my shorts pocket for a Kleenex and it wasn't there! Now I am in crisis mode...just like that. No warning at all. No not the Kleenex, pay attention, will ya? The pocket was missing. That right it was plain gone! Now I had a problem. Who doesn't, right? Right bolt, wrong nut. No Kleenex for my drippy nose and no pocket. I knew the shorts had pockets but my dilemma was where were they? I looked around a bit and like a good Sherlock Holmes, I made a unique discovery.

I had my shorts on backwards, and yep, I found the pocket, after turning them around, and there was my Kleenex. Which by the way I didn't need anymore! Wow! What an exciting day! I was thankful I wasn't out some place and discovered it.

I don't think people would appreciate my switching my shorts around no matter what. People have little humor for that sort of thing...

Comments are welcome as long as they are in good taste.

And, now my Disclaimer: any spelling mistakes you find, poor grammar etc. is either Mr. Alzheimer's fault.  

Mercy Grace
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:30 PM

Ms. Kaye...I just love you and your sense of humor! Oh my goodness, keep sharing the good stuff with us!

Although it is my mother that has AD, I am the one always doing and saying wacky things. The laughter keeps me going each and every day. If we can laugh at ourselves, we will never run out of material!

Wishing you many more days filled with fun and good humor.

Love and Hugs,

MG

Lisa428
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:23 PM

Hi Kay,

Laughter is a great medicine!  Loved your story.  Thanks so much for sharing.

You experienced a TRUE Alzheimer's Moment!! lol

I have had several myself.  I wish I could remember them now to share them. lol

Please, share more.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

sweet Swede
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 6:46 PM

You have a great attitude! Keep on writing and laughing. We will laugh with you.
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 8:29 PM

custom smiley
Pjay
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 9:06 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!
Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 10:00 PM

LAUGH AND THE WORKD LAUGHS WITH YOU

CRY AND YOU CRY ALONE.

HUMOR IS THE LATEST AD THERAPY

Kaye
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:45 PM

Iris,

I gotta tell you I love your laughing icon. It the best I have seen. Better yet it got me laughing. Thanks a bunch!  lol Pastor Kaye

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:12 PM

Welcome Pjay.  Please join us by beginning a new thread and tell us more about yourself. 

How can we help you? 

It's hard accepting a dementia diagnosis.  As you can see, humor is one of the skills to call upon.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 7:03 PM

Hi Pjay,

Welcome to our group.

Accepting the diagnosis is tough, but important. Please call the help line: 1-800-272-3900 whenever you need to talk. It's there for you 24/7.

Have you found your local Alizheimer's Chapter. This is a great time to get acquainted since many chapters are in the midst of their various Walks to End Alzheimer's. http://www.alz.org/apps/findus.asp

Ask if there is an Early Stage Support group that you can attend. PA where I live, even has a monthly call in support meeting. Come on other states. Let's go!

Ask about a clinical trial  

http://www.alz.org/research/clinical_trials/find_clinical_trials_trialmatch.asp?utm_source=alzconnected&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=alzconnected-trialmatch.

Since your diagnosis is so recent:

You’ve just been diagnosed.

http://www.alzcompend.info/?p=121

And most important

Best Practices:

1. Take meds as directed.

2. Strenuous physical activity.

3. Strenuous mental activity.

4. Maintain or increase socialization.

5. Mediterranean Diet. I also take antioxidants and Omega 3.  No smoking

Do keep in touch!

Sea Field
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2012 8:07 AM

Kaye,

Thank you so much for sharing your story and your sense of humor.  It's wonderful!  Please keep sharing your Light with us.  It certainly brightened my day!

TheCureForAD
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:05 PM

Kaye,

You just brought a big smile to my face... made my day

My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's towards the end of last year. I'm just scooting around in here and reading some of the posts, it always seems to help hear others stories and you have such a great writing skill! You should start your own blog.

Thank you for the fun, lighthearted recount of your day!

Lisa428
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:15 PM

Dear "The Cure for AD,"

Hello and welcome to the alzconnected message boards.  I'm sorry to hear about your Dad but I am glad you've found us.

Thanks for sharing your comments and feelings.

So you don't get lost on this thread, please start a new one of your own.

You may want to start it on the Caregivers Site.  It's much buzier there.  You will receive a lot of input.

Welcome to OUR family.  You are NOT alone.  We are Here.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

bela
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:45 AM

May I ask what meds you are taking and what pills that help you sleep.  

Thank you

Hi.Phi.High
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:53 PM

Funny I should run across this post at this time. I got up and dressed before 8a.m. this morning and have been fairly active all day. My sis in law comes in from work 20 minutes ago and asks me, "Do you know you have your sweatshirt on backwards?" I go look in a mirror and sure enough there's a "Jerzees" tag hanging below my chin waving hello to the world! LMAO at me. No wonder some people looked at me strange while I was out today. :-]
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:58 PM

Hi Phi:

Rolling on the Floor Laughing emoticon (Laughing Emoticons) 

Iris L.

× Close Menu