Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Great new video from one of us
Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:46 PM

From Alz. Reading room; http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/2012/11/christine-bryden-insiders-view-of.html?utm_source=Alzheimer%27s+Reading+Room+November+8+B+ALL+Subscriber+Email&utm_campaign=Alzheimer%27s+Reading+Room+November++8++B+ALL+Subscribers+Update+&utm_medium=email

by Christina Bryden, author of "Who Will I Be when I Die?"

Tells of one of my frustrations. When you are trying to remember something and can't. Someone, trying to empathize says, "Oh that happens to me, too. Can't remember a word. " She says it's demeaning. It says, oh you really don't have anything wrong . We all forget.

Your reaction to the video?

jaye523
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:15 PM

Hi Mimi! I just saw Christine's video posted on FaceBook this evening & loved it! I share your frustration over the comment Christine mentioned. About "the same thing happens to me."

I've heard it even from family members. Though I tend to give them a pass. I'm third generation (and the the first one to be diagnosed - 6 years ago- in my generation). When younger family members make comments like that, I see them as expressions of denial arising from their own fear. My compassion for them, helps me see that everyone who makes such obtuse remarks may be  caught in their own fear.

Christine tells how important it is for family & friends to keep emotional connection with us even when we (unintentionionally) say hurtful things. Whether with friends or family or well meaning acquaintances I usually try to  connect with other people's intent to put both of us  at ease & not with my hurt that they don't take my condition seriously. That's my aim at any rate. . 

Jaye

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:26 PM

It sounds like she met and married her husband after her diagnosis.  Did anyone else get this impression?  What a man to take on this challenge!

Here is a clickable link:

http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/2012/11/christine-bryden-insiders-view-of.html 

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:49 PM

Welcome to our online support group, Jaye. I'm glad to hear you are still going strong after six years.  What are you doing for yourself?

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2012 8:04 AM

Hi Jaye, 

Welcome to another Pennsylvanian. Are you in touch with the Harrisburg Alz. Office?  We have a monthly support meeting via phone for those of us with AD. I  think it's the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 11 AM. Do contact your chapter and get the call in number.

And yes, I heard Christinia say that she married after her diagnosis. Yes, he was a brave soul, but that's what love does!

The comment upsets me, but I realize it's being said in an attempt to put me at ease. Although one time , knowing the person had grandchildren, I replied: and do you sometimes forget your grandchilrens' names? Her eyes told me she got it.

mish
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 7:03 AM

this was such a great video. I related so well with this.
Lisa428
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:09 AM

Dear Mimi,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful video.

Lisa

× Close Menu