Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Liquid Non-Hydrogenated Coconut Oil
StPeteMOM
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 5:42 PM

Has anyone used this liquid non-hydrogenated coconut oil with success?  If so, where did you find this product & how much did you use?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I've read about this and since my mom has decided to stop taking her aricept & namenda this might provide a great alternative.
mysterymom
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:05 PM

i bought mom some but i cant get it on her and i dont know about cooking with it
socwkr
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:40 PM

I give my husband a 1000 mg soft gel of organic extra virgin coconut oil in the am and again before he goes to bed.  I found it at the Whole Foods supermarket near where I work although I found that you can also order it online.  Someone recommended the coconut oil and I decided to try it even though I found through my own research that it has not proven to be effective for Alzheimer's related symptoms. 

Lots of people on this forum may disagree with me; however, I can share with you that once my husband (going into stage 7) started on the coconut oil, he became super cooperative.  To us, it was really amazing. For example, about 30 minutes ago, he had an ice cream cone, I took him to the bathroom, gave him his medicine, and he asked a question in his gibberish language but I figured out he wanted to go to bed because he was tired.  He's now in bed and will sleep right through the night until around 10 am tomorrow morning. 

HARLEYGIRL06
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:21 PM

stpete, may I please ask what this is used for and how it is used?

StPeteMOM
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:42 PM

HARLEYGIRL06 I've read & heard this may bring about a change in people who have ALZ.  I figured since Mom gave up on her meds, since she doesn't think they help her, and nothing is wrong with her; if I got this coconut oil perhaps I could cook & add it to her coffee to see if would help.  I figured it can't hurt her.  And if I started taking it now maybe it would do me lots of good later on if I should get Alz.  I might be a dreamer, but I truly believe a cure is right under our noses.  Something simple.  As I read about this disease it seems many have the same things going on.  They hide things, they accuse people of stealing from them etc.   Here's an article I read about it.  

http://www.anh-usa.org/coconut-oil-and-alzheimer%E2%80%99s-disease/

socwkr - I read that the gel pills are not as effective as the pure coconut oil.  Whether they are or not, I'm not an expert and if you're having success to some degree then that's great for you & your LO.   

I hate ALZ and am really upset that more research isn't going on to find a cure.  We need to get this out in the public's face so people know how many are afflicted with it.  

StPeteMOM
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:54 PM

http://www.coconutketones.com/ 

This link has a video clip about it.  Good Luck fellow care givers & god bless. 

StPeteMOM
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:58 PM

FOOD IDEAS 

Use coconut oil instead of butter on toast, English muffins, bagels, grits, corn on the cob, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, vegetables, noodles, pasta. 

Mix coconut oil into oatmeal or other hot cereal. 

Add coconut oil or milk to smoothies, yogurt or kefir. 

Mix coconut oil half and half with salad dressings.   

Mix coconut oil into your favorite soup, chili or sauce. 

Use a measured amount of coconut oil to stir fry or sauté (add peanut oil over medium heat) 

Purchase or make coconut macaroons made from all natural products.   

Eat a 2” x 2” square of raw coconut for a snack to provide 15 grams of oil.   

Add flaked or grated coconut to hot or cold cereal, yogurt, fruit or vegetable salads. 

“The Coconut Lover’s Cookbook,” Bruce Fife – many more great ideas 

deeptime dreamer
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 10:18 PM

My feeling is that it can't hurt and it might help, so give it a go. 

But, realize that this is a progressive, terminal disease. Don't expect the moon.

StPeteMOM
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 10:37 PM

deeptime dreamer - I know it will ultimately be mom's demise.  I may be a dreamer, but I am a bit of a realist too....Thank you for your post.  Mom is only 77 years old so a slight improvement would be welcomed.  God Bless. 
Sylie
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:19 AM

Hello folks, I am a patient from the EOAD boards and I generally do not talk much on the caregiver boards but I cannot keep silent on the coconut oil issue, there is just too much to be said and when I say I have researched this...trust me, I have.

first of all, the liquid non-hydrogenated oil is as good as any other form (except the pill form, will go into that in a minute) but it is more expensive.

secondly, the best form of oil to get is the UNrefined, in those people that have digestive upsets, it is easier on the system.

third, I personally know 4 people that have reversed the symptoms of alz using just coconut oil, no medications or anything else. And I am also using it,  I have gone from an MMSE 6 months ago of 12 to a 22 last week.  Now I realize that the MMSE is not a definitive test and yes I have been through all the other testing required to become officially diagnosed but it is a generally accepted gauge. Also, I am taking a host of other herbs and supplements and regimens with absolutely NO prescription medications, I do not take Aricept, Exelon, Namenda or anything else, I was offered it but refused, choosing instead to go the herbal/natural route.

StpeteMom, I agree, the cure is right under our noses and it's not as difficult as some people would have us believe to find, thats usually how it goes, you can't see the forest for the trees.

As far as the pills go, they generally come in 1000mg capsules but the recommended therapeutic dose is 4TBS per day of the oil which comes out to approximately 6000mgs per day or 6 capsules. Bearing in mind that mg's refers to weight and TBS's are volume so the translation is not exact.  If you don't mind taking capsules/pills etc, they tend to cause less digestive complaints because they release slowly into the system rather than a big lump of oil.  By digestive complaints I mean cramps/diarrhea, stomach upset. It also tends to not be quite as effective as the oil itself because it is usually a lower quality, refined, and not extra virgin. But if you are having luck with them,  by all means continue!

Thank you for listening and I will retreat to my own board now lol!!

Blessed be!

bluestocking
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:13 AM

Thanks to everyone for sharing this.

Sylie: What other herbs, etc., do you take and where did you learn about them? 

Is there a reliable book about natural ways to treat AD?

Sylie
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:12 AM

There are many books out there on natural remedies for AD but it's a buyers beware market. Frank Mangano has an ebook that seems to be decent but it comes with confusing download that cost extra money, many other books I've run across are either outdated or just plain malarkey.  There is a lot of information out there, you just have to be smart and careful in what you believe, people will say anything to get you to buy their product. The site for Frank Mangano's book is trying to sell the book and I don't like putting links to sites that sell stuff (except the site I get my herbs from, I tell everyone about that because of the price, quality and customer service is all so amazing) so if you choose to research this book, you can search his name, I personally have not downloaded the book, I have some doubts about him. 

I take 3000mg's of wild alaskan salmon oil

vinpocetine

ginko

ginger

turmeric

ashwagandha (for mood stabilization)

rosemary 

clove

holy basil

gotu kola

bacopa monnieri

cat's claw

sage

lemon balm (for muscle complaints, agitation, sleep, cognition)

chamomile (for sleep and mood)

huperzine A

I also use rosemary essential oil, lavender essential oi (for nervousness and stress), orange essential oil (mood), clove essential oil  in aromatherapy.

I have switched to an all organic, whole foods diet. Reduced sugar intake. Switched to almond milk over cow's milk,  and of course the coconut oil.

As for where I learned about them, I am an herbalist, have been studying herbs as long as I can remember (hahahahaha!  maybe I should rephrase that!) A long time anyway lol. Never really specifically researched AD herbs by that specification but so many herbs do so many things that when I was diagnosed I started picking herbs that I knew were good for memory and continued working from there doing literally hundreds of hour of research in the last 6 months.

I have good days and bad days and I am by no means cured at this point but I am very definitely improved both in memory and cognition. Word finding is significantly better,  and my stutter has disappeared.

Hope this helps and answers some of your questions.

Blessed be

Sylie

SueK
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:30 AM

Sylie - I noticed a number of herbs on your list helped with sleep, but I have the opposite problem with my mom.  She wants to sleep more than anything else, and has no energy at all.  I realize at 90 some of that may be expected, but are there any herbs you know of that would help with energy loss?
Sylie
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 1:58 PM

I did see your post on the EOAD board but I will answer it here as things tend to get confusing over there with so many good responses.

With your mother's age I really would suggest aromatherapy, try clove first, in the morning when she wakes up, have her sniff the clove essential oil bottle for a few seconds, I usually recommend "an inhalation" which is as much air as you can take in in one breath but I realize with her age and all, getting her to inhale that way may not work very well so just let her breath it in for a for a few seconds. Then wait and see what happens. Watch for agitation mostly, if she seems unusually agitated you will want to switch away from the clove to rosemary. If no response at all, let her sniff it again 4 or 5 hours later and every 4 or 5 hours after that until dinner, don't use it anymore after dinner or you could have her awake all night lol!  

I don't know how much energy you will get from her no matter what you do but if you can get her to be a little less sleepy you may be able to employ other options for energy, such as activities, maybe have her color in a coloring book, or something simple like that. I don't know anything about your situation but looking out the window at birds, point them out to her,  "hey, did you see that really pretty blue bird just now?"  interaction at first will be key. Find something that will "excite" her, something she was maybe interested in when she was younger to stimulate her brain, you might see more energy from her.

Let me know how it goes and please feel free to ask any more questions you may have, I'm always happy to answer questions.

SueK
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 7:37 AM

Thank you Sylie!  I posted both places because I wasn't sure how often you came to this board.  We had a wonderful health food store back in PA, with extremely knowledgable staff who could point you in the right direction as far as herbal treatments, homeopathic remedies, etc.  Unfortunately, since we moved to Mom's, that store is 4 hours away and I really miss it.  The organic grocery selection there was amazing - here, not so much  

I'll try the clove oil on mom, possibly on me as well - I could use some extra energy at this point as well

Nina
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 9:22 AM

I put mom on coconut oil but I never noticed any change. So now I just use it as lotion on her after her shower. I have bottles all over the house, one in each bathroom and the kitchen. I use it for cooking, my hair, my face, oil pulling, body scrub, on my dogs. You name it there are so many uses.
Sylie
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 9:59 AM

please don't put the clove oil on your skin,  just sniff from the bottle,  the clove is quite strong and could possibly cause skin irritation.  Otherwise, I sure it helps some
Sylie
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 10:01 AM

Nina,  How long did you use the coconut oil and in what amounts? it doesn't always work right away, in some people it could take several months to see even the slightest improvement.  Actually using it as a massage oil or lotion is reported to have effect as well as ingestion
StPeteMOM
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 10:25 PM

Has anyone tried pure raspberry ketones?  If so, was there any noted improvement?
Nina
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:57 AM

Sylie,

I gave her 2 tablespoons daily and it was 6 months. I added it to her oatmeal after it was cooked. I never noticed anything other than the bowl was easier to clean.....lol! But I still swear by coconut oil

Sylie
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:01 AM

Nina,  lol!  easier to clean, funny!   As far as not seeing any improvements, I'm sorry you didn't see anything obvious.  The recommended dosage is 4 tablespoons a day, maybe she just wasn't getting enough, everyone is different and will respond in different degrees.  Regardless, I think it's awesome that you tried it and that you still believe in it.
Sylie
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:10 AM

StPeteMom,

As for raspberry ketones,  yes they are high in antioxidants which is good for AD but there are plenty of other sources out there for antioxidants without the weight loss issue, If your LO does not need to lose weight, I would suggest looking at another antioxidant.  Raspberry ketones are under scrutiny right now because of the things it is mixed with, if you were to buy straight raspberry ketones, you would probably go broke in a short period of time so they mix it with mango, green tea etc as fillers and you get very little effective amount of the ketone.  It is being touted as a weight loss supplement because of Dr. Oz's show but if you watch that episode you will find that he is talking about actual, pure raspberry ketones as the effective weight loss ingredient.  

I did some research on it and I found site after site saying it's not worth the money because of how little of the ketone is actually in the product.

Also I discovered that the method of extracting the ketones from the raspberry is full of chemicals such as formeldahyde and several others.  

If you choose to use this product, please be careful, monitor weight loss and watch for adverse reactions to the chemicals.  

× Close Menu