Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Your hind sight and how to best make a donation/ contribution to this cause
Stellar Daughter-In-Law
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:51 PM

Hello,

My father-in-law died a year ago.  It has been a while since I have been on this board.  I wanted to get your opinions, you who like me, have crossed over to this side of the discussion board.  Our family is so very fortunate to have a lot of funding to donate in memory of my father-in-law.  Of course we want to give it to this cause.  I have some ideas about how the money can most usefully be spent, but I am curious about what you all think is the most useful, most needed area for funding in the Alzheimer's world.  

If you had a very large amount of money to give, what would you allocate it to?  What would have made the most difference in your lives andthe lives of others?  Would you give to medical rearch, support services, training, education, advocacy?  I would love to hear your ideas to get a feel for if I am on the right path.

I hope everyone is hanging in there and doing the bes they can.

Lots a love,

Stellar.

KML
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:53 PM

Everything you mentioned needs help, so many areas to cover.  Grants set up for caregivers so that they can get the resources and pay for the resources for help, like respite care, hiring someone to spend a few hours with their loved ones, so the caregiver can go to doctor appointment and do grocery shopping.  Grants set up for those with dementia who have no one to help care for them, getting them the funds to help pay for resources for themselves.

I mentioned before in the other post, research, so that one day hopefully no one has to suffer this disease any longer.

I think those are the areas, support of the persons with dementia, support of their caregivers and research.

It's wonderful that you are thinking along these lines of donating in memory of your FIL.

dj okay
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:27 PM

Hi, Stellar!

Good to hear from you again!

As KML said, all areas related to dementia are worthy causes.  I think medical research should be a priority because of the baby-boomers getting to "that age".  I also this support services for caregivers, such as adult day care centers, are very needed.  I know in my area, there aren't many choices, if there is even anything available at all.  And I don't live in that remote of an area.  This would make it so much easier for so many.

Don't be a stranger!  You have so much valuable knowledge and experience to share.

cowboys
Posted: Friday, August 2, 2013 4:41 PM

STELLAR!!! so good to see you and a few others on here that I shared my journey with. I would say research. We still know so little. I also would donate to educate caregivers so they are more prepared than many of us here were.

I remember you and your husband moved. How are you liking and adjusting. I cannot remember where you moved..Philadelphia???

I am back with my mother to care for her now and still have custody of my 9yr old so life continues to mean caregiving for me. I miss my dad so much it still hurts. I continue to be a caregiver, Peace to you friend

× Close Menu