Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Alcohol and dementia.
Wendejoy
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:43 AM

My son says I should not drink alcohol....I have one maybe once a week.  Since I have some dementia...should I not have any?
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:10 PM

Hi, Wende.  Some will say yes and some will say no.  It depends upon where you are in your disease and how alcohol affects you. For myself, I limit alcohol to no  more than once or twice a year.  I want to maintain my cognition to be as strong as possible.  I remember how it was when I had a great deal of deficit.

Are you on Aricept or Exelon patch?  I've been on Exelon patch for four years and it is helping me, along with Namenda.

Are you still working?

Iris L.

Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:19 PM

Wendejoy, I have a glass of red wine every evening. Studies have shown that a glass of cabernet sauvignon or a muscadine wine a day is very beneficial. A cup of green tea a day is also great. 

Here is a study on the benefits of red wine for Alzheimer's: 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19158422 

Here's another article on the benefits of green tea and red wine that provide benefits (though I believe the article inaccurately states it stops Alzheimer's in it's tracks):

http://www.naturalnews.com/039084_green_tea_red_wine_alzheimers.html

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:09 PM

What are your son's reasons?  Unless you have a particular reaction, i see no reason why alcohol in moderation is not OK.

And yes, red wine has certain benefits, but one glass of anything should be OK.

I have found that alcohol is interacting with some meds, so i can't have a restaurant size helping. So at home, I have a very small glass.

Much more important: BEST PRACTICES.

Several of on these boards, who have had an unusually long stay in the Early Stage, attribute this in whole or in part to the following, which we call Best Practices:

1. Take meds as directed.

2. Strenuous physical exercise.  Build up slowly. Do you need a doctor's OK?

3. Strenuous mental activity. A variety is best.

4. Mediterranean diet. Limit alcohol, no smoking. I take antioxidants and Omega 3.

5. Maintain or increase socialization.

I read your profile. My opinion. Tell BF. And if he disappears, you're better off without him.

Geegee
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:22 AM

Wendyjoy, I also believe it depends upon:

your reaction to alcohol,

if alcohol interferes with or deminishes the effects of any of your meds,

moderation (no more than 1/day)

For me personally, when I read the benefits of one glass of wine I decreased my alcohol intake.  Then, I found there were reasons to abstain because of meds.

Also, like Myriam, I want to be "with it" as much as possible.  Hard Alcohol is too much for me now.  Believe me, I would LOVE a dry, very dirty Gin martini!  :/

So, now I occasionally have 1 glass of red wine.  At a social function,  I will have l glass of red wine diluted with soda or ginger ale.  That way it looks like I had 2 glasses and it lasts me longer.  

That works for me. 

Find out your sons's reason for having you stop drinking.  It could give you a view that you are not aware of.  It opens up a dialog to find a way to work around this situation.

Let us know. 

Wendejoy
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:24 PM

I just retired may 30.  And I am on 28mg a day.  I am doing fine as always.
Unforgiven
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:58 PM

About red wine -- the darker the red, the better in terms of the health benefits. Cabernet Sauvignon is good, but Merlot is even darker, and it's the powerhouse of the red wines. The same goes for fruits and vegetables -- the darker they are, the more antioxidants they carry.  Red peppers, eggplant, blueberries, blackberries, red cabbage, dark green lettuce . . .

Baidonnie
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:09 PM

I'm going to side with your son because I have been there and done that a few times with my Mom.  According to the Namenda and Excelon's directions you cannot have alcohol.  Period.  If my Mom has more than 1 glass (not red) she gets angry and sometimes get combative.  If she has just one glass she's not too bad. But I still stand my ground, I'd prefer no alcohol whatsoever for her either at home or at restaurants because I refuse to go through another B.S. like in August. In fact, ever since then I cringed every time I hear or see the word alcohol.  Alcohol impairs your judgement, safety, and who knows what else.

I guess your son values your safety more over your arguement (excuse my spelling) wanting to be independent.  

We can't help if we have to be firm against you. I think we want you to be okay.

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 8:59 AM

OK,

Check out the small print of the meds you are on with your pharmacist. Ask your son his reasons. One of the posters above wrote that his mom's behavior changed for the worse. A good reason to stop.

Other than those two reasons, I see no reason to stop. My neurologist agrees with my decision to have something once in a while.

Baidonnie
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:10 PM

After re-reading your post,  you said you drink red wine once a week so I think it's okay with you but as long it's not every day.  Like I said in my previous post, alcohol and alz meds do not mix very well.  

Maybe your son saw something after you drank alcohol and it wasn't nice so maybe he doesn't want you drinking anymore because you acted way differently. 

× Close Menu