Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
books on this topic
vrswesley
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 9:48 PM

Anybody know any good readable books on the topic of dementia? For the patient.
Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:20 AM

Can you get to your local library? You may want to ask the librarian if she can help you find books that you may like and can read.

Here's an New York Times article: Many Alzheimer’s Patients Find Comfort in Books 

http://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?tid=2147501777&g=postmessage&t=2147501798&m=2147629996  

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:23 AM

These are books written by our members who are patients: 

Young Hope The Broken Road by Tracy Mobley

by Tracy Mobley

FROM AA TO AD, A Wistful Travelogue, By Mike Donohue

, By Mike Donohue

http://icmike.blogspot.com/ 

From the Corner Office to Alzheimer's [Kindle Edition]  

Michael Ellenbogen 

This book was written by a nurse member, Stephanie Z: 

Kisses for Elizabeth

These books are general Alzheimer's books: 

"The Alzheimer's Action Plan,"  by  P. Murali Doraiswamy and Lisa Gwyther   

Living Your Best with Early-Stage Alzheimer's by Lisa Snyder

Lisa Snyder also publishes a free newsletter for patients. You can send her an email and she will put your name on the list.

I found the link for the thread for Lisa Snyder's newsletter:

http://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?tid=2147501798&g=posts&t=2147493675 

Alzheimer's Early Stages, by Daniel Kuhn 

There was another book written by a patient, actually two books.  I believe his first name was Tom.  Someone asked about him but I didn't write it down in my files.  Mimi knows who he is. 

Still Alice by Lisa Genova is a novel written as an Alzheimer's patient that many of us read when it was published.

There are many other books.  Most are written from the caregiver's point of view.  Some of us want to see their perspective also.

There was an extensive book thread on the old board.  I'll try to come up with some more books.  Are you lookinig for any one type in particular?

There is a free newsletter.  I'll have to search for the address.

Iris L. 

vrswesley
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:24 AM

I will look at this stuff tonigh.. and answer your question too. as I said Im only home for a minute beteween appts... but this list is good.

talk moere soon.

thankyou

violet

vrswesley
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:36 PM

I just got two..but at the moment since I  dont have a diagnois' yet im leaning toward patients wiith dementia...   thankyou for your help.

violet

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 6:52 PM

iris, The book is: Losing My Mind by Tom DeBaggio.
He also wrote a follow-up and he admitted he needed much more help from his wife.
As i read both all I could think was: THIS GUY WROTE TWO BOOKS AFTER DIAGNOSIS!  THERE IS HOPE!

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:53 PM

Thanks, Mimi.  I'm going to write it down this time, so I won't forget. 

Iris L.

Forget-me-not
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:35 PM
Mimi S. wrote:
iris, The book is: Losing My Mind by Tom DeBaggio.
He also wrote a follow-up and he admitted he needed much more help from his wife.

As i read both all I could think was: THIS GUY WROTE TWO BOOKS AFTER DIAGNOSIS!  THERE IS HOPE!

The second book by Thomas DeBaggio is titled "When It Gets Dark"--An Enlightened Reflection on Life with Alzheimer's
philj
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 10:53 PM

Hi: I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease at the beginning of August 2013. I then read the book "Alzheimer's What if there was a cure -the story of Ketones by Mary T Newport MD. I read the book and started taking coconut oil in the amount of 3 tablespoons daily. My family and friends cannot believe the improvement in my life (I am 70). Mentally, I have returned to being my old witty, intelligent self. I no longer get lost when out driving, biking or walking; my life is busy and full of pleasure and challenges just as it was a year ago. My sense of humor is better than ever and I feel wonderful! I recommend you read this book to understand the value of coconut oil and the production of ketones which feed the brain. "trust me" - it works wonders for me. Philj
Myriam
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:51 PM

Hi, Philj! Welcome to these Boards. So glad you could join us. Please let us know a little about yourself. Have you been diagnosed?

Phil, I'm going to create a new thread welcoming you to this Board so others can welcome you, too. 

× Close Menu