Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends(6)
Lorita
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 2:44 PM

Good afternoon,

Here we go again - makes #6.  Hope this makes it easier for everyone to get on board - I know it's frustrating when you want to visit and can't.  Thanks for reminding me, Linda Dee.

jfkoc - so sorry about your knee.  Maybe the shot was cortisone.  The only cortisone short I ever had was for a wry neck - can't remember if it hurt or not.   I take the Equate brand of Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM for my hip.  Last summer it was hurting so much I finally went to the doctor and he told me it's arthritis.  I was really afraid the osteopenia had gotten worse.  Said there's nothing he can do to really make it better since it's weight-bearing.  He did say to take this medicine.  I've been doing it since then and my hip is much better.  

Carolyn, Ray spits a lot, too, and it bothers me.  We don't sit at the dining table to eat (haven't in years).  He sits in one chair or on the divan with a tray and I sit in my chair.  Even that far away I keep telling him to no do that and he'll say "okay" and do it again in the next instant.   I think it's a habit.

jfkoc - so you're thinking about a kitten for Luke?   I have lots of kittens but they are all about half to two-thirds grown but they're gorgeous.  I have a brown cat that's going to have babies before too long.  Wish we were closer.  I think Luke wouldn't have any problem with a kitten.  He'd just baby it.  All of our dogs and cats get along just fine.  Lance and the big dog (going to have to name him, too) don't bother the cats either.  Some of our cats will challenge a dog if it gets too close.

We took Luther back to the vet today and he gave him a shot of stronger antibiotic and same kind of pills for me to give this week.  When we got home Luther age a little bit of dry food.  On Saturdays he doesn't make appointments - people just come in and it was really busy, big and small animals.  One woman brought in a wolf.  He was gorgeous but she said he was thin because he'd been so sick.  She said his mother was a wolf and the father was 3/4ths wolf and 1/3 something else.   When she took in the exam room there was a tiny Chihuahua that barked and barked at him.   The vet said he has five or six that he takes care of.   He also told me a black panther was seen in our area and someone had lost a calf.  Makes me wonder if that could have been what happened to the cow I can't find.   I doubt it though because she always stayed in front of the house.

The weather is gloomy here today - there was freezing  drizzle early this morning - windshields were covered and I couldn't find either of the two ice scrapers.  Also ice on the pipe fences but not on the grass.  I dread the upcoming week because it's supposed to be cold and two more fronts coming through with snow.

Daffodils are coming up!  This morning I saw a few bunches that are about three inches tall.  Poor things - but I've seen them bloom with snow on the ground.   Finally opened the bird seed I got two or three weeks ago and filled the feeders twice already.  I kind of hesitate because the birds attract the cats and sometimes they catch the birds.

Sorry - the bold on the type comes and goes.  I have to keep clicking on bold.  I've tried highlighting all of the post and then clicking on bold and I still can't get all of it to work.  I'll try harder because I know the bold type is easier to read.

Groundhog day tomorrow - hope he sees his shadow for an early spring - or it is the other way around?  I think it is.   I know he won't see it here - wonder if that works or just the one in Penn.?

I've forgotten what was in the other posts so I'll go back and read them again.  Enjoy your Saturday - Super Bowl tomorrow!

nessa
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:32 PM

Pinch, punch, first of the month and no return! (done gently)

Can you believe it's February already?

Oh boy...Took Dad to his podiatrist a few weeks ago. I love that guy. He treats my dad like a man, not a patient. We always leave laughing and feeling good. He really recommended a flu shot for Dad and Dad agreed so we stopped at the Pharmacy to get one. They bill it like a prescription so there was a going to be a wait of 20 minutes to process it. 

This wasn't good because my dad has no patience at all. But I convinced him to go to lunch at Denny's and then it would be ready. He hasn't eaten out since May of last year! 

We get back from lunch 45 minutes later and wouldn't you know the Medicare system was down so they couldn't bill it. I quietly explained that I would never be able to get my dad to leave the house again so could they just give it to him and I would pay cash. I had the cash in my hand to do so.

Sounds simple, doesn't it?...but she kept trying to figure out how to bill it different ways....and my dad is getting antsier and antsier, trying to get his coat back on..after 15 minutes I finally said JUST GIVE HIM THE SHOT (and I may have muttered a few swear words) and then I went to where Dad was sitting and offered to help him with his coat but instead took it and his cane from him and told him to SIT DOWN! I even waved his cane above my head at him in a threatening manor...and finally she had her gloves on and gave him the shot. 

This was done in front of god and everyone...oh my.

I can laugh about it now and Dad can too but I felt awful for days...like someone should call APS on me. Just a little stressed maybe?

My aunt has been having problems walking to the point where a few times she has required 24/7 care so she can get out of bed, use the restroom etc...not being able to walk unless she absolutely had to. 2-3 days at a time I have to stay with her...get her to take Aleve for few days and the pain becomes bearable again. It will soon get to the point when she won't be able to walk at all.

My Auntie Iris has used a walker for years, probably 15 years. She moves very, 

v  e  r  y slowly. She always said it was because of neuropathy in her feet and legs. She has to use it. It's not like my MIL who could get around ok in the house without it. Auntie even takes it into the bathroom. It turns out she has arthritis in her hip, bone on bone with multiple spurs that are causing incredible pain. The fix for this would be hip replacement...but now she's 88, has a pacemaker and might not be healthy enough to withstand the surgery and rehab. She is also have memory problems and I worry that anesthesia would fast forward her in full blown dementia....life just sucks sometime.

I told my cousin (her daughter) that there is no way I can do 24/7 care, ever, ever again. But the times that I've taken her to rehabs, NH's or AL places to visit family or friends who are there, she gets sick for days after...nausea, diarrhea, melancholy...so now lets talk about GUILT...how will she do if she has to be placed? Which is the lesser evil? None of the choices are good.

That's what I've been dealing with...so at night I play Scrabble on line and eat too much...maybe I'll die first and someone else with have to figure this one out.

Oh,and I finally cleaned my room....it's only been 6 months. I had brought back stuff from my 1st MIL's home when we packed it up to move my 1st FIL over here...and it just sat there. My daughter came over and helped me yesterday. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Only shed a few tears. We even got the linen closet and my closet and drawers cleaned and organized....sent 13 bags stuffed full to Goodwill.

DH has promised to paint our room now that it's clean...I won't hold my breath but wouldn't it be nice?

Made a Danish Puff this morning, my first, turned out just right. I have a chicken carcass stewing to make broth for soup. As soon as DH gets here we're going to get food stuff for the game tomorrow. They've asked for ribs and my potato salad...add a few chips and dip they should be fine. I'll make enough to take down to Dad and Aunt's house...they've invited a couple friends over too...my aunt is very social, likes to have people around...as long as I'm there too. LOL!

Go HAWKS!!! 

Linda Dee
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:33 PM

Thanks, Lorita for this new volume, already it is easier and faster! I hope Luther gets better.

jfkoc, I have had one encounter with bad presence. There was an oder then too, and it did not smell good! I am glad you have not had those feelings since you have had Luke. I believe about praying over our dwellings. I believe bad spirits have to flee at the name of Jesus Christ. That is just my opnion.

Twink, I forgot to say I enjoyed your story too. Can you post a picture of Sophie and Norton? I don't think I am.the only one who would enjoy seeing them. Wish I could see all of the cg pets!

Got another seed/plant catalog today. And my Daffodils, and other flowets are still coming up. Even with the ice this morning the birds were so happy & singing. It is a nice consulation the days ate getting longer!

Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring.

Linda Dee
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:37 PM

Forgot to ask.....anyone heard from Sandymac, or  maybe saw a post from her on another thread??

Giving a SHOUT out to Sandymac!!!

Sasue
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:41 PM

You are making me jealous with all the daffodil talk.  We won't see the ground for a long time. We already had 10 inches of snow on the ground and got another 7 inches today. More Tues and the again next weekend!

Come on Spring!

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:42 PM

Hi jfkoc; if you don't get relief from the Mobic, and you have to return to the doctor; let them inject the knee.  It is not a painful injection at all and it should relieve  the pain quite well.

Missed it, but there will be another chance . . . .

Johanna

Mama Sue
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:03 PM

Hi ladies,

Just checking in to keep up with everyone.    I've been searching my family ties on Ancestry.com. today.   I get all engrossed in genealogy.   My father's ancestors were early Texas settlers before the Alamo and statehood.  It's fascinating.   Anyone else searching your family tree?

We did some work outside today too in preparation for the coming storms.

So we both are pretty worn out.  May turn in earlier than usual.  I'm so thankful that Leo sleeps through the night with minimal potty visits.

Bless you all with good rest and sweet dreams.    Susie

telinde
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:46 PM

Susie:  I like genealogy too.  I ran into a snag because my Grandmother was a Smith and married a man by the name of Smith.  That is one hard thing to figure out.  Still working on it.  Sure is fun and takes up a lot of time, which is good on some days.

Take care and glad you enjoy genealogy too. 

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 11:32 PM

I'm into genealogy too.  I found where our first ancestor came over and, he was massacred by Indians. In the Blue Ridge mountains.  His wife and 6 mo. Old son survived, or I wouldn't be here.  It is interesting.  

Dh just came out, thinking it was morning.  He ate something and went back to bed. 

Bonnie

Di1
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 7:47 AM

Good morning, all.  So good to read your stories this morning.  

Lorita,  Babs answered your question about the cat scratchers, so I haven't responded.  But I'll also note that you can search  for  "cat scratcher" on amazon  if you don't have time to run by Walmart.  I like the triangular ones best, but which I use depends on the space I'm tucking it into.   

Gracious, Nessa!  I thought that I was tired myself till I read your post.  Hope you get a little rest soon.   

--------------- 

Ella

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 2:36 PM

Good afternoon,

nessa - so sorry you had to go through that.  I know how you must have felt.  I lose patience with people, too.   When I took Ray to the VA to get his tests done, we went by Prosthetics to get his diabetic shoes that had been there some time.   We waited and waited (won't go into all of that) but I finally gave up after about 25 minutes and left.  We can get them another time.

Mama Sue - I bet you have a lot of snow on the ground.  I think what we've been getting the last six hours came from SW and Southern Okla.   When I got up about 7:45 there was only a little on the ground.  I fixed the cat food and took it out about 9.  While I was in the barn it began snowing really hard  - little pellet like snow.  It sounded almost like rain.  The flakes haven't been big but are a little bit bigger.  If it's going to snow I'd rather have the pretty kind.  We have at least 5-6" on the ground now - hopefully, it's almost over - until Tuesday and Friday.

I did the dishes and made an angel food cake.  I think I'll make the angel lush.  I make the lush part and keep some of after I put it between the layers and then we can have a little bit extra with our cake.

Ray's doing all right today. Just finished his 3rd cup of hot tea.  We're watching a movie now (at least I am but I think he's "resting his eyes" as daddy always said.   He's as cute as a bug's ear today.  He has on red and black flannel lounge pants, a red sweet shirt and red and black checked cap.   

It's been snowing so hard I can't even see the county line road, 1/4 mile from our house.  I hope it's not drifting - that makes me nervous when we aren't able to get out.   I fed the girls yesterday so won't have to do that today.  They go back and forth from the barn to the hay south of the house.  I wish the two boys could get in the barn but they can get out of the wind by getting on the opposite side of the bales of hay.

Mama Sue, telinde and Bonnie - do you all use Ancestry.com?   A year or so ago I put in daddy's name and it let me see just one little bit but I did find out he was born a year later than I thought.  It gave me the option to get a two-week free trial but at that time I didn't have the time to do it.  I always think I'll do that in the wintertime when I have time - but I don't ever have the time.   I know there must be a few after the two weeks.   Can you all tell me how much it is and for what period of time?  Ray's sister got into geneology a few years ago and it completely obsessed her.  She and her husband would make trips and go to the different court houses to get information.  She's very well organized and put everything in loose-leaf binders.  She had several binders when she got finished - if she is.   I think I could get pretty involved in it if I had time - guess that's why I never really got into it.  Too much other things that need attention.

Guess I'll better go and check on the cake.  I have it inverted on a pop bottle to cool.   I'm also getting hungry so better fix something for out lunch - maybe leftover soup.   Looks like the coming week is going to be cold and snowy so more soup will probably be made in this house.

jfkoc - how's your knee today?  Hope it's feeling better.  Have you decided about a kitten yet?   I worry about the little cat and her baby we saw the other day - surely wish she'd come to the barn.  I did see a cat yesterday that I'd never seen before but it wasn't her.  Looked just like Phoebe.  Everyone, stay in and keep warm.  I don't even think I'll take down the trash this afternoon.  They pick it up in the morning but I always take it down the night before.

telinde
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 3:41 PM

Lorita:  I do use Ancestry.com to track geneaology.  It is quite fun, but does consume a lot of time.  I seem to do it for awhile, and take a break for a few months and then go back to it.  I met one of our relatives on my Dad's side in Italy a few years ago, and I am trying to track that side of the family now. 

I hope that one day you will be able to find the time to get on Ancestry.com and see how much fun it is.  Take care and I hope you are rooting for the Broncos today.  Ha ha. Since I am from Colorado, you can be sure I will be rooting for them.  Joan

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:04 PM

My aunt was obsessed with "kin" and wrote 3 volumes (each almost 3" thick) in the New Jersey Settlers of Adams County LA. She did this before computers. AMAZING. 

I am an adopted child andmy daughter hired a PI and is making some hedway. 

Knee is great but it has barely been used so that would be expected.  

You think that cat food i still warm by the time it gets to the barn? Do you wrap it up? 

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 7:18 PM

Good evening,

We missed the first quarter and almost half of the second of the Super Bowl - first time I haven't seen a Super Bowl kickoff.  I was surprised by the score but I haven't watched much football this winter so really don't know too much about the Seahawks.  They used to be one of my favorite teams.  Looking forward to the second half.

jfkoc -  I put the dry catfood in a bucket-like container and pour hot water over it and let it soak til soft.  And, yes, it is still hot or very warm when I get to the barn - you can see the steam coming off of it.  I like for them to have something warm.  I started doing this for the kittens and it has just continued.  I'm glad your knee is better - rest works wonders.  Would it help to put some kind of soft brace on it while you're up?  When mine was giving me so much trouble a few months back, someone suggested that and I did it and it helped a lot.

While I was out I filled one of the water tanks and cleared the licks on the liquid feeder.  I think we have about 5-6" of snow and it's drifted pretty deep around the barn - don't know about the road to the county line.  Our vet called this evening to see if we needed help and he said the east-west roads were drifted a lot.  If the wind blows tonight it will drift more because it's so light weight.   I don't know if I'll take down the trash in the morning or not.  

I think it would be fun tracing your family tree.  One of my cousins on daddy's side has done this and one of my best friends was thoroughly consumed with it for a long time.

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:48 PM

Lorita 

I tried the ancestor trial offer, really liked it, found lots of census, but have not had the time needed to Subscribe.  One of these days.  As for your dad's birth, they make lots of mistakes doing the census.  One of my dads has him born in 1904 instead of 1903.  Google LDS geneaolgy.  Go down to free family history and geneaolgy records and click.  Click on search.  You can glean a lot there.

Have fun.

Bonnie

Twink
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 10:49 AM

Hi everybody! Had a little break this wknd as I took Mom to my aunt's Sat AM - picking her up today after work. Didn't get to do anything fun, & only got 1/2 way thru my to-do (w/o Mom) list. Frustrated, tired, had a brief meltdown last night but pretty well over my pity party now. Carolyn, I know how you feel! Somedays, it seems all the little things just build up until it's like I just can't stand another second of it! Hope today is better for you!

Linda Dee, about store bought vs. country eggs? May have something to do w/ the chemical wash used by large-scale producers. (Oh, & thanks for the advice @ real estate attny!)

jfkoc, I think you could get your dog used to a cat. Norton, in his much younger days, hated cats - chased off several strays (& I hope they got away!). It took a few days of keeping a close eye on he & Miss Kiki Bug & reinforcing "No lunging at kitty", but once she swatted the heck out of his snout, he was okay w/ leaving her alone!

Lorita, hope Luther is feeling better! Sophie is having a hairball problem. Now that she's in such a warm place, she's shedding the thick coat she put on as a stray. I can tell she's about to bring up a hairball, as she clearly says "Ohhh,no,non,non,no!" when she feels it coming! Will have to pick up some paste while  in town today. Have a great day y'all!  Hugs, Twink

ligantim
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 2:51 PM

Hi All,

Things have been more than crazy around.  I think I really should spell that in all caps.

MIL has been back in the hospital again with the same problem.  It seems she is not drinking enough fluids so her calcium levels to up so her kidney function goes down and she becomes weak.  Last week she had a really bad fall and is black and blue from it.  Many of her difficulties in the hospital are dementia related and they do not want to give her the meds she takes for that.  It seems they want clear tests that are not influenced by those meds.  We need some she knows with her all the time. My SIL and I are the only ones that can do that as her husband (FIL) stays confused most of the time also.  Of course I Rod to care for also.  We stopped by on our way to church yesterday and could see how much SIL needed a break so I sent her home and told her to take all the time she needed.  She brought FIL to the hospital and then left.She  came back to the hospital so grateful for the break.  Rod did very good while we were there.  She is in a private room so it is larger than most hos rooms.

As that was not enough, Rod has started urinary incontinence during the night the past three nights. So I now have a very clean bathroom.  I had deluded myself into thinking may be we would be the ones to not have this. Hahaha. Like I said deluded myself.  It has been hard on both of us.  Rod has cried each time and just apolgized profusely.  I've shed my tears more privately as I really do want to make him feel any worse about.  

I if you need a laugh you should just listen to Rod, MIL, and FIL carry on a conversation.  It is amazing how they can confabulate together.  I laugh to avoid the tears.

We watched the Super Bowl last night.  Can I say "big disappointment"?  I really thought the Seahawks would win but I also expected it to be a close game.  Oh well.

My knees, hips and low back pain has reappeared with me being in and out of the weather.  Haven't needed a cortizone shot since Oct. 2012 but if a visit to my chiropractor doesn't help I may have to go get one.  I too will appreciate spring when it gets here but February is usually our worst month of winter.  Opening jars is back to being difficult also.  Rod can still open most of them if I tell him what to do.  It makes him feel good when I ask for his help opening things.

We need to make a Walmart run before heading back to the hospital so I guess I need to get off this computer.  Rod just dumped a cup of coffee on the cough.  Oh well.

LindaT 

Lorita
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 5:36 PM

Good afternoon/evening - whatever,

Linda T - sounds like you have your hands full.  Only a caregiver could talk about urinary incontinence and then say at least they have a clean bathroom.  

I think we had more than 6" of snow.  The weather said the town south of us where we usually go had 7" so we had at least that.   There are some big drifts around the barn that the cows had to break through to get out.   But, it has melted a little bit today - at least it's off the vehicles and almost off the bales of hay.   I've spent the day trying to get ready for the rest of the week; filling water tanks, bringing in hoses and floats, feeding the girls, going to the mailbox, etc.  Trash didn't run - they called and said they were going to try tomorrow.   Don't know if I'll take it down or not but I do  need to mail the bills.  The mailcarrier made it about 2 pm., a couple of hours late.  She ran the route differently to avoid drifited roads.   Looks like snow or wintry mix will begin about 7 or 8 here in the morning.  Maybe I can get things done outside before that. 

This morning when Ray came out he was carrying his red sweatshirt.  Still had on his thermal top.  I told him to put it on and he needed help so I took off his little cap he's been wearing.  He had a fork and spoon and ballpoint pen in the cap.  You never know what you'll find in his pockets - and now in his cap.

I should  have made some snow ice cream - just now thought of it - too late tonight, maybe tomorrow.   The heaviest snow this time is supposed to be north of us -  yesterday it was south.  We're right in the middle so we got a lot yesterday and may again tomorrow.   Anybody else ready for spring?

Not much going on here that's interesting - never really is though - same thing day after day.  Guess it's about the same with everybody - except you never know what our husband or wife is going to come up with.

Bonnie, I tried the LDS website you told me about.  I'd never seen it before so signed in and it kept telling me it was the wrong user name or password.  I don't know where they got that.  I did find one place that gave daddy's DOB as the one I've always known.   But that was all the information they had on him and there was nothing at all on me.   I'll keep trying.  I wanted to find out something about about daddy's mother like where she came from, etc.  There's no one left in the family that knows anything much about our ancestors.  Just remembered - I need to call my cousin that's done genealogy - maybe she has something.  Just about time for supper so guess I'll try to find something - Ray came out a while ago with three slice of bread he'd torn in half, asking if I wanted some so he's probably not hungry.  Probably spiked his BS though.

I'll check in later to see what's happening.

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:22 AM

We had about 4" of snow.  Now let us see what will.be dumped on us this morning.

My daughter got really bad news today.  She took her toy poodle to the vet, she has always had problems, she has chrons disease.  Now she has kidney failure, anemic, and was dehydrated.  The vet gave her a bag of fluid and a special food.  She is very thin, couldn't get weight on her.  She is 8 1/2 years old, very good personality, does not sound good for her.

Guess I should go to bed.

Bonnie

Vander626
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:17 AM

I am new and need.............EVERYTHING!  I am old and sick and very, very tired.

I have put up with a personality-disordered alcoholic spouse for nearly 35 years. He verbally abused me, stole from me, withheld affection and sex, emection in more than embarrassed me and generally made me think I had another child.  A few years ago, he developed new symptoms.  Long Story short, we got the results of his brain MRI; definitely brain atrophy.  Now it's all worse!!!  He throws tantrums, spends money we don't have and more. I have  not had any real affection in more than 25 years! At times I find myself wishing that he would drop dead!

Sandymac
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:28 AM

Oh Vanderbilt, you poor girl. Hang in there...each day is a new one and each day brings new feelings, new problems......you have done so much.   Hugs to you
Sandymac
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:30 AM

Spell check took over again. Meant Vander....
Sandymac
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:37 AM

Thanks Linda Dee....still here.  Ron just going along steadily. I haven't much to complain about compared to you all, but doesn't stop the eyes leaking at every new development...Daughter asked about his motor bike at the weekend and he looked at me and said "did I have a motorbike?"   Ahhhhhhh!
ligantim
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:28 AM

Good morning.  We are having a rainy day.  We were already 2 inches below average for 2014 so that is a good thing.  Personally I am glad it is rain and not sleet or ice the weather people had forecast.  It is currently 36 degrees F so it should stay rain.

Vander, welcome to our friends thread and welcome to the forum.  I am sorry for what you are experiencing.  For one I don't know how you have managed this far.  That in itself says you are a very strong woman.  This is a place you can share anything, ask anything, and vent anything.  You will find support and care here.  I am glad that people are starting to hear your concerns.  

MIL is probably going home today.  That will ease some of the stress in our lives.  My SIL and I are going to look for some in home care for them.  They just need more help than SIL and I can provide.  My sweet Rod is requiring more and more of my help which limits what time and energy I have to give his parents.

Bonnie, I hope your daughter's little poodle pulls through.  Sounds like she is having a serious battle.

My son has been using Ancestry.com for several years.  He has traced my family back to Ireland. We knew that my husband's family was from Germany.  He has found so much information on them.  We have distant relatives that had a large chocolate factory in Dresden that was completely bombed out during WW2.  When we went to visit our son he took us there.  We actually walked down Timaeus Street and visited a family grave plot.  All thanks to ancestry.com.  You can find lots of info there if you have the time.

May we all find the blessings in the day.

LindaT

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:26 AM

Vander.....welcome

Please also post on one of the two caregivers board....everyone will want to meet you and you may gets lost here among the cows and genealogy searches...lol

Lorita....looks like a bunch of stay inside days here. OK with me because someone hacked our credit card number and I have a whole lots of phone calls to make. It took me 4.5 hours to get Apple, AOL and USAA straightened out.  I started out trying to manage our qccount online with no sucess then had to go the telephone route....you know "we are experiencing unusual amount of calls" you wait forevver and then get disconnected.

Everyone...if you think about it is easy to imagine how someone gets the card number but you retain the card!!!!

Bjjca
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:42 AM

Vander, you are where you should be.  My husband was a wonderful husband and father for 30 years, but then he got AD.  The disease has turned him into a completely different person I have trouble accepting.  My husband yells at me most of the time, telling me to get out of his house.  I try not to take anything personally since it's the disease talking.  In my opinion, it sounds as though you need a break from your life and a rest.  Have you thought about taking your husband to a nursing home for respite care, or getting someone to come into your home to give you a break?  If you don't have it, you should get a Durable Power of Attorney and a health DPOA.  You also could call the Alzheimer's hotline on the website, they can help you sort out these things.  These boards can provide wonderful tips, information, and support.  Come back often.
Linda Dee
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:50 AM

Sandymac, good to see your post.  I get used to seeing certain ones and miss them and wonder what's happening when they dont post. I feel the same as you----so many more have it worse than I.

Bonnie, I am sorry about your daughter's poodle. I hope the poodle pulls through, but doesn't sound good. Poodles are both smart and sweet. I have had two poodles, last one was 15yo, I cried for months.

VANDER---Welcome to the board, you will find this is a great place for understanding, suppport, information, among other things. Has your dh (dear husband) been dx (diagnosed) with AD (Alzheimers Disease)? I will read your profile to learn more.

Snowing hard here. Will get 5-8 inches. Will I ever appreciate Spring this year!!!..........IF it ever arrives!

Bonnie---AR is getting ice?? I hope none of us lose power, that means we can't stay in touch!...Not too mention we might get cold! lol

Blessings to all cg &lo,  LindaDee

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:50 AM

Good morning,

Good news!  We didn't have any more snow, just some sleet pellets but enough to encase the vehicle windows in ice and I can't find an ice scraper - so, didn't get to take down the trash.  May not have run anyway.   It's sprinkling a little bit now.  

I'm doing some laundry - seems like when the weather is very cold or bad like it is now, everything seems to get dirty.  Need to mop the utility room but I have the three sacks of trash out there along with two water hoses with floats on them and that's where I take off my muddy or icy boots so guess that will wait until another day.

Vander - welcome to the forum.  I'm so glad you've found this wonderful place.  You'll have so many good friends with answers to most, if not all of your questions.  Feel free to vent or ask anything you like - or just visit which is really what this thread is.   Ray and I are a bit like you and your husband in that we don't have relatives, except some of my cousins, near us, so it's just really us.   Several of us are in the same situation.

Bonnie - I hope your daughter's poodle gets better.  Ray and I used to have poodles and they're wonderful.  At one time we had a dozen.  We bathed and clipped them outselves.  We lost the last one several years ago and that's when Mr. Barclee came to live with us - luckiest day for us.  

Linda T - a chocolate factory!  wouldn't that be wonderful to have one of those in your family!   I know you can find so many interesting things on Ancestory.com.   Maybe a little later I can get into that - maybe this summer when it's hot outside.  Last summer I said, maybe in the winter when it's cold outside.  But, I'm going to do it sometime.

I've done my stuff outside so don't have to get out again until late this afternoon.  A nap might be in the works today.   Think I'll make some vegetable soup tomorrow.  The high for the next two days is only going to be in the teens.  I hate that!  I have to put on so many layers when I go out, I can hardly move but at least I don't feel the cold, except my chin.  Girls are okay - most of them were in the barn when I went to feed the cats but they'll come and go to the hay. 

I think Abigail is going to have babies.  She's the long-haired, light gray cat that stay in the house most of the time.  She's about two or three years old and this will be her first ones.  Just what we need - more cats! but I guess, the more the merrier.  Also have a big, brown cat that's going to have kittens.  She's in the barn so they'll be warm in the hay.  I have plenty of boxes to make Abby a bed.  That's the one bad thing about ordering from Walmart or anywhere else - I get all of these boxes and I hate like everything to throw away boxes.  They always come in handy for something - like beds for cats!

Rachel Ray just made a wonderful-looking pasta dish but I didn't get the recipe.  I don't do pasta often because of the carbs in it that aren't good for Ray but we love mac and cheese and macaroni salad.

Everyone, stay in and stay warm.  I saw that Philadelphia  has a foot of snow on the ground.   Lizella - are you getting snow?

Linda Dee
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:45 PM

Lorita,  SO glad you didnt get more snow!  We may not get as much as first thought; only snowed for two hours, now it has stopped.  How is Luther doing, any better? Will Luther have to go out when Abbigail has her babies?

LindaT, sounds as if inlaws are in a bigger decline, I am sorry for that. Will they be placed if help cannot be found? I know you and your sil have your hands full. Prayers to you all.

Linda Dee

ligantim
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:09 PM

Linda Dee,  if we cannot find the appropriate help for in home we may be forced to consider placement.  We will meet with strong resistance to that.  I was shocked the FIL was somewhat agreeable to in home help.  Both of them are very independent and still be they can depend on the other.  That is a nightmare as well as trouble waiting to happen.  

LindaT

Babs Willis
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:41 PM

My whole school must be doing a snow dance!  They are predicting 12 to 14 inches of snow tonight.
Linda Dee
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:39 PM

Linda T, Here is a thought....IF the heat "just happens to go out/off" in the in laws home, and no repair man available for days, or who knows when. In laws might have to take an apartment in assisted living, for a while. What do you think??? Yes, it is fabulation, or whatever it is called, but, sounds as if it might be time for that!  You sure dont need any more on your plate, and I hope you dont have to take shots again.

Babs Willis, I think many of us are getting more snow, except maybe quits and Johanna.  I just continue to tell myself, Spring is coming, so snow wont last long. Not all of that sentence is true.

telinde
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:48 PM

You are right about the weather.  Colorado is getting snow again.  Supposed to last through part of tomorrow and then stop and come back again on Friday.  Looks like we will have plenty of water this summer.  I think I was ready for Spring the first of January.  I guess this is just one more thing that we have to be patient about.  Joan
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:33 PM

Good evening,

Linda Dee  - Luther seems some better - eating some.  I got his antibiotic down him this morning without much trouble.  If he's still not well when Abigail has her babies, I'll let him stay in.  He's wanting to go outside every once in a while but I won't let him.   He won't bother her - he's very quiet and easygoing.

I received a part for our Nuwave Oven yesterday and had the box sitting on the dining table.  Abigail has been laying on it today.  I took the part out and left the box and a while ago we heard scratching.  I looked and Abby is inside the box - remodeling.  I guess she's decided that's her bed.  I had thought it might be a good size. Tomorrow I'll find something to put in it and she'll be ready.  I don't know when she's due.

I turned over awkwardly in bed a couple of nights ago and pulled a muscle in my lower right side.  The left one has only been well a little over a month - jfkoc - I need to get my core strengthened.

Snow, snow and more snow - everywhere.  Johanna and quits, you all need to move so you can enjoy the snow with all of us.   Or, we could send the snow to you - that might be better.   The snow was really odd today (that's the snow from yesterday).  Yesterday it was soft - today, there's a crust on top and when you walk on it, you go through the crust and down a couple of inches before you hit solid snow.   It did melt quite a lot today - you can at least see the ground in a few places.  I know western and southern Oklahoma really needed moisture for their wheat so this is a Godsend for them.

I dread the awfully cold weather we're going to have for the next three or four days - single digits and below zero wind chill and below freezing temps.  I don't think I can get any more layers on when I go outside.  Just about six more weeks of winter - then we'll have spring storms and tornados - always something to look forward to.

I need to go shave Ray - I've been telling him I'd do it for a day or more.  Hope everyone has a restful night.

Kairn
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:49 PM

Our snow has a crust, too. Lorita, if you don't have core strength with what you do, the rest of us don't have a chance! I hope the muscle heals quickly.

I love hearing about all of the new pets, and the old pets, too.  

Maybe, after Jose is gone, or past the stage he could hurt one, I can get another one.  My little Shadow was  half poodle, half chihuahua. Her hair was long and wavy. She was so sweet. 

× Close Menu