Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends(6)
Lorita
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 8:28 PM

Good evening,

Bonnie - does  your husband have pneumonia?   Ray's had it a couple of times and I'm always afraid he'll get it again.  When he has it he wheezes when he breathes at night.    Hope your husband is better tomorrow.  I think probably anything hits them harder than it does a well person.

Every time I read about your Phoebe, I think of ours.  What made her lose so much weight?   Hope the fluids work for her.  Our Phoebe is almost 15 years old but she still keeps the others in line.   Abigail has been out of  her bed in the kitchen to eat a couple of times today.  Guess the babies are doing all right.  I'm not bothering them but I do hear them every once in a while.

Linda Dee - I'm so glad the path report was good.  Is your foot very sore?  I bet the ladies did like the molten lava cake - it is delicious.

We're watching the Olympics tonight - we've really enjoyed them, especially the ice skating and curling.  Too bad the USA team didn't make it to the playoffs in curling.

It's been really warm here today - in the 60s but windy this morning.  I'm really enjoying the warmer weather - I think it supposed to get colder next week - hope it's not like it was earlier. 

Hope everyone rests well tonight. 

Babs Willis
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 9:11 PM

Oh no! Another snowstorm on its way for tomorrow. They have already called to announce an early release for our schools tomorrow. I am afraid we will be going to school until July.

Doug is much more confused than normal, having a very difficult time walking, eating very little and not making any sense at all. He has already been up twice since I put him to bed an hour ago.

My Emily went skiing yesterday. I will try to attach a picture.

File Attachment(s):
image(14).jpg (34790 bytes)

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:26 PM

Good evening,

How's everyone tonight?  It's been a very beautiful day here in eastern Oklahoma, but very windy until late this afternoon, then very calm.  

We had our visit from the Nurse Practitioner with HBPC.  I really like her and she seems very knowledgeable.  We had a nice visit.  All of Ray's vital sounds were very good.  She even thought he seemed better now than he did the first time she saw him last fall.   

We lost another cow today and had trouble getting her out of the edge of the pond because of the ground being so wet.   I didn't get stuck but came close (thank goodness for 4WD).  We managed to get it done with the help of four tow ropes, another rope and two chains.   After that I went out to feed the cats and checked to see if the tractor would start.  It did!   It wasn't windy so gave the girls a couple of bales of hay.   Tomorrow I won't have to do that - I plan to watch curling at the Olympics most of the day.  Best laid plans, right?

We're watching Dr. Pol.  I think it's an episode I haven't seen.  Any of you all out there who are curious about what goes on at a farm, this is a very good show to watch.  Tonight they had a segment about a sow trying to have piglets.  Daddy used to raise hogs when I was little but I don't recall that kind of trouble.   I do remember one time I was at the barn with him and one of the sows had little pigs.  I was looking at them and asked him where they came from.  There was a little hole in the dirt in the hallway that was covered by a little board.  He raised the board up and told me that's where the sow had found her babies.  I'll never forget that.   I think my sister and I led a pretty sheltered life as far as birthing and things like that were concerned.   She's still very squeamish about things I tell her that have happened.

All right, enough of that.   I ordered some more things a couple of days ago from WM.  I tracked it and it's coming from Georgia.   You'd think it would come from Arkansas, wouldn't you?   

Ray's wanting me to help him with something, so I'll get off and quit bending your ears.  Hope everyone has a quiet night.  I'm going to put Barclee outside for a while before bedtime tonight.   Abigail and her babies are doing fine.

Babs Willis
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:40 PM

Well, so much for 4-6 inches of snow! We got closer to 10. Our dog, a lab, swims in the snow because it has gotten so high after all of these storms. I certainly hope spring comes soon. Off to a gentle sleep, hope all of you rest well too.

Barbara

bjsmom
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:48 PM

Bonnie, my little Autumn was like Phoebe.  She at one time weighed about 11 pounds and I think she was under 6 pounds when we put her to sleep.  (BTW, I am not grieving her so much anymore but I sure miss her!)  Did your vet check her for overactive thyroid?  I recently found out that unless you specifically ask for the test, it might not be run and weight loss was just one of the symptoms. Just passing along information.

We had about 6 inches of snow yesterday afternoon and evening but today it warmed up to about 40 and it is supposed to be sunny and about 40 tomorrow.  The next day it is supposed to be in the 40's again but rain and then the temp is going to drop again and be extremely windy.  Bummer.  I am ready for warm weather.

Lorita, so sorry to hear you lost another cow.  So much loss.

Hope everyone is doing fairly well and having a fairly decent evening.

Janie

Sea Field
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:56 PM

Babs,    we are still doing the snow thing here too.  Shoveled 6 inches today from yesterdays storm.  The good news is the temp got up into the 30s today - first time in a long time.  So nice to not be below zero.

Expecting another storm on Thursday.  Right now they are predicting rain, ice and snow.  At the moment, it looks like we will get more ice and less snow.  All depends on how the storm tracks.  Where it is mostly snow, they think it will be a foot or so.

Lots of communities around here are having trouble with water mains breaking.  Normally the frost line goes into the ground 2-3, maybe 4 feet.  But this year, because of all the cold, it is over 5 feet deep.  The water mains are usually buried about 5 feet down and there have been many instances of them breaking.  Our small city has joined the ranks of those asking the citizens to keep the water running.  Had one main break about 6 blocks from here.  So far we haven't been impacted.

Typical February - tired of winter, tired of snow, tired of cold.  But at least the days are getting longer.  That helps.

Lorita, the 60 temps you have been talking about sound pretty darn good.  So sorry you lost another cow.  I'm glad Ray is still able to go out with you some times.  When I am running errands, I always tell Tom he is my helper.  And I thank him for coming along and keeping me company.   I hope you enjoy watching the Olympics tomorrow.

Bonnie,  hope your DH is feeling better.  Pneumonia sure can zap the energy right out of a person.     

Linda,  I'm so glad you got such good news with your foot.  Hopefully that is the last you will hear about that - except for a checkup every once in a while.  Last summer I had a cancerous spot removed.  They were able to get the whole thing with the biopsy, so no additional surgery or treatment.  What a relief.    

Hopefully everyone will have a restful evening.     

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:29 PM

Lorita

Bill has pneumonia in his right lung.  When he got up this morning he sounded bad, but as the day progressed , he was so much better.  He had a cold and went to bed for 3 days.  I had trouble getting him to eat or drink, and I think that did him in.  He says he is dying when he gets sick.  Got that from his brother, his brother has been dying 14 years that I know of.  His brother is in a neurophys hospital for dx right now.

Phoebe is 8 1/2 year old red poodle.  She has been sick most of the time dau has had her.  She was finally dx with chrons, but did weigh 9 lbs.  she has a very sweet personality, but also has panic attacks, I guess you would call them, would then throw up with blood, or have bloody stools.  Dau had started out obedience training her, she almost had a CDX.  I may have wrong initials for that.  She loved learning, but started with the attacks.  Then couple years later she started utility training did very good, now this.  She will probably just be mamas girl now.

The min pin (Zula) does ugility.  She is under 5 lbs.  when she goes up the see saw, she gets all the way to the top before it will go down, but she hangs on.  She also is a therapy dog for children.

I am not too up on dogs, so I hope this makes since.

Bonnie

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:49 PM

Hi again, everyone,

i

Still haven't made it to bed.  I think Ray has finally gone though.  He doesn't want to unless I go and I have been and watching TV in bed.

Bonnie, sorry about Tom's pneumonia but I'm glad he's feeling better.  It really does  make you feel so weak.

Cynthia - Tulsa has had so awfully many water main breaks - streets flooding and during the awfully cold weather the men having to work in the cold and water was awful.  I felt so sorry for them.   We kept our water in the kitchen and bathroom running a small stream day and night for a few days.  

I just heard on the weather that it was 74 degrees here today.  I checked my journal and three weeks ago yesterday we had the 7" of snow and the temp in the morning was 3 or 4.   We had snow on for almost ten days.   I was outside today with just a light jacket and for the most part no cap.  We don't even have the stoves on tonight.   Sorry to tell all of you who are having the snow and bad weather that news but it just feels so good to not be freezing.  I got so tired of putting on all those clothes and walking in snow.  We may even have thunderstorms in a couple of days.

Thanks for the things you all said about the cow.  I really hate to lose one but so many people have this winter.  Our good neighbor who has so awfully many cows has lost so many this winter.  He has a lot of small calves - don't know if he's lost any of them or not.  I've decided I don't want to have fall calves anymore - at least you don't have to worry about them getting out on the icy ponds and falling through.  We've had that happen in the past.  Calving season is only about three weeks away - I dread it.   Oh, I found out today that the time changes back March 8, I think.  I'll be glad of that except I like daylight in the mornings, too.  Never satisfied, I guess.     Rest well, everyone.

ligantim
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:21 PM

Just need to check in and say hi.  Life has been challenging the past 10 days or so.  Nothing I shouldn't be able to handle.  With Rod it has just been continued decline of being unable to less and less.  I think since I have had another sever uti that I have been having a more difficult time dealing with all the changes going on with him.  Saw my urologist Monday.  Should hear from his office tomorrow concerning the right antibiotics.  I am getting pretty tired of getting one over and over.  It has only been 15 days since I finished a round of medicine.  Doctor promised some answers and a plan of action to stop them from returning.
Enjoyed teaching my little sign language class today.  Rod goes with me and is pretty good to stay in the room where I am teaching.  I am really proud of my two eighth grade students.  They are surprising me with how much that have learned.
We lost another large limb during last weeks ice storm.  I am going to have to find someone to cut it up before I can move it.
The last two days have felt like spring with temps in the mid-seventy's.  That will change tomorrow as we have a cold front moving through that will drop the highs back to mid-fifty's for the highs for a couple of days.  For me that is a pleasant temperature but Rod will be cold all the time.  I still have not decided the temperature outside impacts how cold he is.  We have central air and heat so the temp. in the house is constant.
Rod and I have enjoyed watching the Olympics.  I have always loved sports.  The World Cup is this summer I think.  We both enjoy that.
Until later.
LindaT

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:33 AM

Good morning,

Linda - sorry about your UTI.  As I've said before, I've drunk cranberry juice every morning since probably 1963 and I've only had one minor UTI.  I attribute that to the CBJ, however, some people may be more prone to having them - don't know.      Talk with your doctor about it and then give it a try.  If you don't like the taste of it alone, mix it half and half with orange juice - that's the way I drink it - about 8 oz. each day.  Also makes it a very pretty pinkish color.

Also sorry about Rod's decline.  I know that's hard to take and it probably is your UTI that's making you have more difficulty dealing with the decline.  Maybe it will be a short-term thing and he'll recover some.

We're watching a lot of the Olympics, too, and enjoying it.   I got up at 5 a.m. to watch curling.  We got interested in that years ago - Ray still enjoys it sometimes.    There are several games today and I plan to watch all of them if everything goes right (you just never know how things will be).  I don't think I have anything outside to do today (fed yesterday, took care of lost cow and put out hay) so feeding cats 2x and dogs and checking water supply will be about it - I hope.

Feel better soon.   We still have some limbs in the yard from the first big storm we had.  I think some of them are from previous storms and were caught up in the trees and the wind has brought them down.  I did get the big limbs from the Royal Empress tree cut up and we took them down to our limb dump.  I have a little electric chain saw I like to use - can't/afraid to use a big one.  It makes my costochondritis hurt to pull the chain to start the gas powered ones.

Linda Dee
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:44 AM

Lorita, sorry about you losing another cow.

Thanks to all for nice replies about my foot surgery.

A note to all who go to a dermatologist---Please, make sure dr checks between and under toes and soles of feet. Be sure to tell family members, if a melanoma has ever been found. Especially if family members are redheads.

LindaT, I used to be a certified interpreter, for the Deaf.  Don't have to be certified to interpret in church. In my state one must be a level 4/5 to do medical interpreting, or legal interpreting. And it is truly a Joy to teach and watch others learn, then, inter act with deaf ppl. Oh! the stories I could tell about signing,  what the hearing people thought they were signing, and what they were actually signing. Funny!Sweet memories!

My dh is doing so well. While I have been recouping, with my foot, he has vacuumed the entire house,steps and landing. Did a good job too.

Have a good day Friends.   Linda Dee

ligantim
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:35 PM

Linda,  I was a certified interpreter for about 10 years.  I was also a teacher of middle school deaf students for 25 years.  As we raised our family, we were actively involved in the deaf community here.  It does provide a array of stories.  When my daughter got married we hired an interpreter because we knew we would several Deaf attending.
Been a slow day here.  Sweet Rod asked me a few minutes ago if there was anything he could for me. (Still feeling awful from UTI) I asked him to bring me a glass of water.  I could tell he was very pleased to do something for me.  
Lorita, I enjoyed watching the women's short program this morning.  Ice skating is something I always wanted.  But being a Texan, there were not many opportunities for a girl from west Texas.  They did not have ice rinks in malls back then.
My little 3 year old grandson loved the snowboarding.  He went and got one of his daddy's plywood boards, stood on it, copying their moves best he could and said "Mom, I do it."  That was my laugh for the day.
Hope you all have a pleasant afternoon.
LindaT

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:50 PM

Lorita...I have been watching the curling this afternoon. When my brother called he told me that Ann Swisshelm, the oldest members of the women's team, actually learned to play on the same rink that I did. It really is a small world!

Sorry about the cow...what happened?

Linda Dee
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:45 PM

LindaT, I forgot to say, I hope your dr calls soon and  you can get some relief, from.the UTI.

I know you deserve a medal for being a teacher of deaf students, bless you. But I know the blessings go both ways. I am sure the students were blessed!

Good night all.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:28 PM

Good evening,

jfkoc - I don't really know what happened to the cow but I suspect a respiratory problem.  The evening before she was with the other cattle but was laying down while they grazed.  She had her neck kind of stretched out.  They do this sometimes when they're having trouble breathing.  We drove over and around her and she seemed okay.  Yesterday she was laying on the other side of the pond.  A little later Ray and I started over to see about her and she was laying down.  I don't know if she fell over into the shallow water and drowned or if she died and fell over.  

This morning I found another one laying down flat.  I got her to sit up and went back later and she was still sitting up.  I got her up and walked her to the barn.  Her nose was really drippy.  I called the vet and he came and sure enough she had the first stages of pneumonia.  He gave her three shots and I'll keep her up for a couple of days.  That's the reason I suspect pneumonia in the other cow.  The way the weather has been it's a wonder everyone and every animal doesn't have pneumonia.

Ray's been weepy again tonight, asking me to help him and wanting to go into the study.  We don't keep it heated but he's always wanting to go in there.  I went in and turned back the covers and gave him his medicine and rechecked BS and now he's in bed.  By the time I'm ready to go, he'll probably have his nap out.

Didn't you enjoy the curling?   That's really something that you actually trained at the same place as the other woman.  It looks like it would be so much fun but I bet it's hard on the knees and back.  We also watched the men and one of the men from Great Britain was almost laying on the floor before he let the stone go.  I really want to be sure to watch the last two games for the medals.

Not much going on here today except the usual thing.  I only got about four hours sleep last night - went to bed late and got up early - so I'm kind of tired.  Maybe I'll go to bed and watch some TV in there.

jfkoc - how heavy is the curling stone?  Today they said even a footprint on the ice could divert the direction of the stone.  It looks like it glides so easily.  I saw a little segment they did a few days ago about where the rocks come from.  Some island that's the only place that has that kind of granite.  It also told about how curling began.  Really interesting - wish they'd show it again.

Think I'll try to find out when the curling medal games are and go to bed.  Hope everyone has a good, restful night. 

terromari
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:33 PM

Folks, keep your fingers crossed for me. My furry friend Rodney developed an awful abscess that requires a dental procedure. He is old but is my buddy and has been doing well on his heart meds so I hope we have a good outcome. Much snow here. LO was good today. Got there early in case weather went south early. Fed him, brushed teeth, went to therapy and then to a nice pie social put on by a local business group even though weather was iffy. He had a good time. Left after they put him down for his afternoon rest. Rain started to freeze and roads were a bit slushy. But I made it. Watching the Olympic skaters now. Lonely without my LO but I will see him tomorrow. I hate this disease but am so grateful for his good care. Be safe those of you who are battling this awful winter weather.
catlady
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:23 AM

Lorita,

If you go over to the thread "Early evening sundowners..." you'll find a whole bunch of people who want to come live with you and Ray on the farm.  You probably need to start a list of jobs for all of us! 

Cheznut
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:56 AM

Sorry to hear about your cows, how big is your herd? Right word? I've started watching Dallas reruns, can't believe JR is dead!!  Ill think of you and your spread , lorita!          everyone out there keep warm and stay as healthy as you can.  Boy, do we need a pet, but we're renting, I've got my garden of about 30house plants/patio plants, so that's some reprieve for me.            We got the condo sold in Wickenburg, I'm glad to have all the signing out of way, as it's getting down to the point where it's almost impossible for hubby to sign his name. Whatever else we have now, only needs my signature.  I was afraid the notary would take one look at him and say, no way,.. One foot in front of another here,
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:53 AM

lots of curling info on wikipedia
Lorita
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:09 AM

Good morning, 

terromari, hope Rodney comes through the dental work okay.  I don't know what I'd do without dogs and cats.   I'm seriously thinking about asking the woman who runs the nearby animal shelter if I can foster a "barking" dog for a short time to get our outside dogs to bark.  They're still not barking when a car drives up. 

Cheznut - just read the thread you mentioned.  Lots of activity there.  Wouldn't a place like that be great for everyone? 

jfkoc - I watched so much curling yesterday I thought I'd probably dream about it, but didn't.   Be sure to watch the women's gold medal game this afternoon - Canada and Sweden.   The women's hockey gold medal game is coming on now - Russia and USA. 

Please tell Dick we're fine and trying to keep things together.  The cow the vet saw yesterday looks more alert this morning but still has a drippy nose.  I'll keep her up a while and if she doesn't improve more in a couple of days, I'll ask him to come back.  Does Luke bark a lot?  Sure wish Bella and Susie would - however, they do at night but not at visitors - which is what I want them to do. 

Cheznut - Our cattle herd (that is the right word) is getting smaller and smaller.  In the past we've had well over 110 head (too much for the land we have).  Now we're down to about a quarter of that.   But, calving season is approaching FAST.  No heifers to calve this year - that's a year away but there will be some little ones, I hope, at least I have several I think will calve.  I always dread that time of year - keeps me on edge all the time.  But, I'm always happy to see all the little calves running and playing together -  just like little kids - with their moms watching over. 

Talk about mom's watching over - Abigail is still in the bed with her two babies.  They're really growing and eyes are beginning to open.  She seems very content to stay with them almost all the time - very, very good mother.  Now she has something that belongs entirely to her.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:36 PM

Good evening,

Has anyone read a post from Johanna lately?  Maybe I've just missed it, if not, hope everything's okay.

My daffodils are coming up everywhere, already at least 6" tall.  Yesterday I noticed the tulips are also coming up.  The thorns on the rosebushes are red - maybe they always are but I hadn't noticed it.   The honeysuckle is putting on buds and our winter jasmine is blooming.

Seems like it's about time to bring back the "Gardening Gang" thread.  Maybe someone smarter than I could find it and bring it back to the top.

Did anyone watch the women's gold medal hockey match today?  I think in my previous post I said it was USA and Russia - I was wrong - it was USA and Canada.  Really good one.   I felt so sorry for the American girls - they were so brokenhearted.  They were ahead by two goals with 3 1/2 minutes left.  I don't know if they got really nervous or overconfident.   The curling gold medal game was really good, too.  One more game to go - men's finals tomorrow.

I called the man who bales our hay today to see if he had time to work on my Jeep.  Last summer he said that's what he did during the winter.  I need to get the brakes fixed.  I haven't been able to use it for almost a month and really do miss it.   Today we went up to the little town close to us to get some gas and the store is closed.  It hasn't been open but several months and everyone was so glad it was there.   Really hope it reopens soon.

Hope everyone has a good, quiet night.

Linda Dee
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:15 PM

Hello to all.

Finally got out and went to pencil class today. Had to wear my house shoe, nobody noticed. I get stitches out tomorrow..

Lorita, one of my art buddies has a big farm, and are calving now. She said they have 25 new babies, and will have about 45 more. She goes out  at midnight, 2 am, and 4 am. Her husband goes the rest of the time.

My flowers are getting taller too. I have tiny buds on the Jonquils. The birds are so happy, flitting( a word?) around and doing what the birds and bees do in the Springtime.

Dh has really enjoyed the Olympics. I am thankful he likes tv.

Rest well Friends, Linda Dee

Lizella
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 9:40 AM

I got the gardening topic up for you, Lorita, gritting my teeth while I look at a foot of snow covering MY daffodils.......
Twink
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 9:54 AM

Hello to all! Has been a busy, snowy week here! Have had contractors at my house all week for bathroom renovation - Gosh, what a production! Mom has been w/ my aunt since Sun. night as we only have the one bathroom. Figured the mess, noise & restricted facilities would all be too much for her.

We've been enjoying the Olympics too! (Boy, that womens' gold medal hockey game was a heartbreaker!) Had to take a few days off this week to stay w/ Norton during renovation - too much going on, really stressing him out. Was a good thing though, as I was there to notice Sophie acting as if she had a UTI. Took her to the vet, & got a diagnosis of kidney stones. A few days of meds has her feeling much better now.

Now that Sophie's better, & Norton is spending the day at the groomer, I'm back at the office. Reno will be done by 6PM tonight - hooray - & I can get the dust cleaned up before going to pick Mom up tomorrow afternoon - phew!

Wishing all of you as great a day as possible! Hugs, Twink

Lorita
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 10:05 AM

Good morning everyone,

Linda Dee - so glad your foot is doing better.  I know you'll be glad to get the sutures out.   What's a pencil class?  Sounds interesting.  I can't imagine that many little babies.  We've had as many as 30+ at one time and they were so cute running and playing.  Calving time isn't easy - for anyone, cows or people.   I don't have any buds on my daffodils yet but it won't be long.  I'm enjoying looking at the pretty, yellow blooms on the winter jasmine.  Such a shame they don't have a fragrance.

Thanks, Lizella for getting the topic up.  It may be a little early but it won't be too long before everything's busting into bud and/or bloom.   At least with the snow over your daffodils you know they're being protected from the cold.

Twink - what a week you've had.  I always hate to have people around doing things in the house.  I have a couple of things I'd like to get done this spring; fixing a couple of cracks in the living room walls that happened during an earthquake last summer, taking out a whole-house fan (doesn't work anymore) and painting the living room.   Also may get them to do something with the bedroom floor at the same time.   There's a couple of retired veterans that have a small company - really reliable and do good work.   May also get them to repaint the pipe corral.

This morning I saw three "little" birds flitting (yes, it is a word, Linda Dee) around in the tree outside the kitchen window.   I thought it was too early for baby birds.   Maybe they're just small birds - but, they looked like babies that had just fledged.   Shouldn't be too awfully long before  the barn swallows come back.  I wish they'd nest on our porch again but guess they're too many cats for that.

I need to get all the stuff out of the Jeep and have them take it in to repair.  I have everything from barbed wire to buckets to whatever in there.  It will be so good to have it back.  I've thought about buying another one but I just need it here on the farm and this one runs really good so that will be all right.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.  We're planning on watching the men's hockey game this morning and men's curling this afternoon.  What will we watch when the Olympics are finished?

So Sophie had kidney stones?  How awful for her - glad she's better.  This morning when I fed the cats I noticed a lot of "stuff" around Peaches' ear.  I had cut it off a few days ago.  I brought her in and cleaned it up with peroxide.  I didn't see an injury so she may just have excessive wax in her ear or drainage.   I'll watch and if it comes back I'll take her to the vet.   Also called him this morning about the cow.  Her nose is still drippy.  He said sometimes it takes two or three days for the medicine to do it's job.  Said to call tomorrow if it isn't improved.

Twink
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 2:15 PM

terromari, will be thinking good thoughts for Rodney!

Lorita, it's a never-ending battle keeping critters healthy, isn't it? Yup, kidney stones for Sophie. (Our plummer was very sympathetic - has first hand knowledge of the pain level.) She is just the sweetest thing though, even when sick! Hasn't resisted in the least when it comes to meds, & is right back to purring as soon as the dose is done! (Miss Kiki Bug used to put up one heck of a fight over meds & stay mad at me for an hour or two after!)

Isn't it great when you find a good, reasonably-priced contractor? We just love ours - this is our 3rd project w/ him - & he's the only one I call now, even if I have to wait awhile. (Guess everyone else loves him too!)

It can't decide what to do here today - snow, sleet, rain - back & forth all day long! (Glad I got the roof raked on my days off, as there was quite a bit of snow up there!) DH wants us to go out to dinner tonight as it's our last Mom-free night but I'd just as soon grab some take out on the way home from work & hibernate! Will let you know who wins that one!  Hugs, Twink

Lorita
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 7:32 PM

Good evening,

Well, the curling is over and I'll really miss it.  But, guess I've had enough for a while.  Only a couple more ice hockey games left.   We're taking a break from the olympics tonight.

Twink - the contractor that remodeled the farm house before we moved in and did a lot of work in our barn was great.   He isn't able to do that kind of work anymore and we really hated to see him have to quit.  These other two men are really good, too, though.   I have plans to ask them if they can clean out our barn this spring.  I wish it could be done before calving season but I have the barn closed up but I may call them anyway.

The man's coming to get the Jeep Sunday and work on it.   Now, I have to call Sears and schedule a service call for our refrigerator.  Somehow water is getting into the refrigerator part.  I can't find the source but it's coming from somewhere.  That means cleaning out the refrigerator but maybe that's good because there's probably things back in there I need to get rid of.  Seems like there's always something.

Ray's brother called this afternoon to see how things were going.  They were always close - only 18 months difference in their ages.  Ray talked with him a while and enjoyed it but after we hung up, he asked me who that was.  I told him it was his brother and he looked happy - I thought he knew who he was talking with.  

Has anyone read a post from Johanna lately - or Shirley?  I know I haven't but I could have missed it.  Hope both of them are all right.

Abigail's babies are beginning to open their eyes.  I wonder if she'll ever get out of that bed for more than five minutes at a time.   The cow's nose is still drippy so may have to give her more medicine.  She's a little feistier than she was so I think she's feeling better.

Are you all up north still having snow?  I haven't seen the weather today except to hear we have a front coming through this weekend with cooler weather.

Everyone, have a quiet, restful night.

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 9:12 PM

Lorita, saw post from Joanna.  She posted on the new baby thread, and something else, can't remember what.  But, she's around.

Hate to hear of anyone with kidney stones, specially a. Pet.  They don't understand what is going on.

My dau. Thought she would give Phoebe her fluids instead of waiting for her H to get home.  OUCH, she won't do that again.LOL 

Bonnie

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:07 PM

Good afternoon,

Where is everyone?   If they're in this part of the country, probably outside enjoying the pretty, though windy, weather.   I hear it may snow some Monday night.

Thanks, Bonnie.  I read Johanna's post.  Glad to see one and that she's okay.   Now, we'd like to hear from Shirley again.

How is Phoebe doing - hopefully she's getting better.  I'm still giving Luther his Nutri-Cal but he's a little more resistant although he does seem to like it.  I can put some food in front of him and he eats ravenously for about ten seconds, then quits, so I try to do this several times a day.   He's still so very thin.  The vet said more antibiotics wouldn't help.  He has respiratory problems, maybe even some other disease - but he's still hanging on.  I so hate to lose him, if we do.

The cow is about the same, still some discharge from the nose.  I talked with the vet today and he said we could give her another day.  I saw her laying down and panicked as usual, so called him again.  He said as long as she ate feed today and hay yesterday, she's doing all right.  Said to call tomorrow.  I'm really like an old mother hen.

Just watched Crimson Tide - such a good movie.  Ray's trying to go to sleep in his recliner.  I would, too, except this is feed day.  I did manage to get all of the feed out of the creepfeeder this morning - so glad that's done.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Linda Dee
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:43 PM

Hello to all.

Beautiful weather here today! But it is down hill the rest of the week.

Lorita, pencil class , is a colored pencil class, that I go to when I can get away. Right now I am doing a graphite drawing, but I have a coloted pencil project going too.

How is Rodney, the dog, doing with his dental procedure??

I maybe should put this on a different thread, but I will start here first. My dh, Ken, hands/fingers are ICE cold. I know this is probably due to circulation problems. And Ken does have high blood pressure, pacemaker and  cardiac stents. My question is; anyone else have lo, with AD, who have ice cold hands?

I went to Master Gardeners demo on seed starting this morning. Very interesting. I am trying to control my Spring Fever. The cold front coming in should help tone things down a bit!

Have a good night, Friends,   Linda Dee      

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:25 PM

When my Bill sits and doesn't move, like watching tv or napping, even at night when he sleeps, his hands go numb.  He is cold all the time, but we contributed that to having frozen his feet in Korea.

Bonnie

terromari
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:36 AM

Linda Dee, Rodney goes for his procedure Tuesday morning. Hopefully it will go well. Would miss him a lot if it does not go well. He is old but seems to be picking up. HIs mouth must be sore.
Lorita
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:57 AM

Good morning, 

Linda Dee - Ray's hands are cold a lot of the time.   I don't know what causes it.  I also have to check his blood sugar twice daily and it's so hard sometimes to even get the tiny drop of blood needed for the test.   He has peripheral neuropathy and that may be part of his problem.   

Something else he does that is not normal for him is the way he sleeps.  He sleeps on his side with his head tucked down toward his chest and his hand over his head.   I'd think this would  make it harder for him to breathe.  Also he pulls the covers over his head.    He really scared me yesterday afternoon.  He was napping in his chair and I came in and told him to wake up - nothing - so I went over and shook his gently - nothing - then I shook him harder before he finally woke up.  Reminded me of the time in December when he was in the hospital and they couldn't awaken him.   I woke him up two or three times last night to make sure everything was all right.

Bonnie - Ray was in Korea, too, and he talks about how awfully cold it was.  You can look at some of the pictures of the Korean War and can just imagine how hard it was for them.   Ray doesn't talk about it very much - too many bad memories, I guess.   

It's much colder here this morning - in the 30s with a north wind.   This will probably slow down our spring fever and the plants, too.    

terromari - hope Rodney does well with his surgery tomorrow.  Lance, the lab, was up the other morning and I noticed he's lost one of his big teeth.  Let us know how Rodney does.  I know he'll feel better afterwards. 

Just watched a little bit of the hockey gold medal game - Canada won - they seem to have done really well in the Olympics this year.   Guess we'll watch the closing ceremonies today.   It'll seem strange without it to watch. 

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:19 AM

Linda Dee....one Christams we sent every shade of green pencil available at are art supply store to a grandchild. He was thrilled.

How about sharing some of those seed tips?

Lorita....a lot of discussion re the calls in the hockey game...what do you think?

I think the performances by the Japanese and Italian women was far superior to the Russian. There is also a rumble about that. I thought the Italian gave the most memorable performance. Not unlike when the Russion did the Swan Lake many years ago and Peggy Fleming. I really hate to see the sport develop into a jumping contest!

catlady
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:22 AM

Linda Dee, My DH also has very cold hands. 

He has always hated cold weather, is very thin (he was thin before AD and then lost about 10 pounds in the first year of AD) and he tends to have low blood pressure.  I attribute any and all of these to his cold hands.

× Close Menu