Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Would you be okay to live in a granny-pod?
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:22 AM

This doesn't work for me but some people might be interested in this potential up-and-coming concept in senior housing. 

Senior housing in the backyard

Pioneering the granny pod: Fairfax County family adapts to high-tech dwelling that could change elder care

Viola Baez wouldn’t budge. 

Her daughter’s family had just invested about $125,000 in a new kind of home for her, a high-tech cottage that might revolutionize the way Americans care for their aging relatives. But Viola wouldn’t even step inside. 

She told her family she would rather continue living in the family’s dining room than move into the shed-size dwelling that had been lowered by crane into the back yard of their Fairfax County home. 

“You’re throwing me out! You’re sending me out to a doghouse! Why not put me in a manicomio?” Viola, 88 , told them, using the Spanish word for madhouse. 

read more: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/pioneering-the-granny-pod-fairfax-county-family-adapts-to-high-tech-dwelling-that-could-change-elder-care/2012/11/25/4d9ccb44-1e18-11e2-ba31-3083ca97c314_story.html  

a graphic of the inside of the house: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/senior-housing-in-the-backyard/2012/11/25/6030603c-3758-11e2-b01f-5f55b193f58f_graphic.html  

another slide show: 

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2012/09/17/backyard-granny-pods-offer-senior.html  

Sheryl726
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:09 PM

wow Iris,

I live in my daughters basement.  That would be more private except I can lock the door at the top of the stairs.

Is nice that there are people working on alternatives. and Yes I would live in one.

I am 66 years old and my hips, knees and back are major issues to me. 

They caused me to become unable to care for my mother.

Now am worried that I may really become dependant on my children. 

That is a fear that we all do not want to happen. 

Hugs and thanks for the posted thread.

Sheryl 

Paul Hornback
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:17 PM

When the time comes, it wouldn't bother me in the least to live in a grannypod. As long as I can have my own space, get outdoors each day, and not be a burden to my kids, I could easily adjust to the smaller space.

God Bless, Paul

alz+
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 1:16 PM

I would definitely live in one. Love converted garages made into mother-in-law units, little guest houses, separate safe places.

I wonder if the woman was having separation anxiety and could have been brought to the little house slowly, an hour a day, her own things there, if she has a pet, gotten her used to it better than a crane dropping it and expecting a move.

When we react with fear and aggression look for FEAR or FRUSTRATION and work on that.

Iris, your Granny Pad would be super cool I think.

check out Tiny House company from Sebastopol, California for inspiration.

I dread becoming a burden. Working on that in counseling. The key so far is difference between a chosen responsibility and one forced on someone, and the easy burden vs the overwhelming burden. I can accept being a chosen light burden.

whowhatme
Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:26 PM

I'd love a grannypod!

Suggested to my sister, that I could build one for her, but she's not interested either. 

Goly communal living without the total commune, sounds good to me. 

Marsha whowhatme?

× Close Menu